Shower Time

I take a maximum of 5 minutes if I need a shave and wash my (admittedly short) hair.
The length of time some of you spend in the shower amazes me. Do any of you live in areas with limitations on the water supply?
I heard 45 minutes mentioned, that could use 500 litres of water depending on flow rates. Get two or three people doing that in a household on a regular basis and it is easy to see some pretty hefty numbers being racked up.

I live in California, so I do make an effort to take less time in the shower. When we had bad drought conditions a few years ago, I began showering only every other day. I’ve continued that since we’re still suffering from drought. Since my hair isn’t as oily as it used to be when I was younger, I’ve taken to washing it every other shower…unless for some reason I got especially dirty/sweaty. Luckily, I’m retired.

I’m not really sure how much time I spend in the shower. Time gets a little slippery in there. That’s the main reason I usually prefer to shower at night; it’s hard for me to be on time if I’m taking a shower as part of my getting-ready routine.

I did have to limit my showers to 5 minutes at summer camp. So I guess I can reduce my shower time if I have to, but I have to remain hypervigilant to avoid spacing out in there. Without someone standing outside the door yelling at me, I might go in with good intentions and come out some 20-30 minutes later thinking, “you know what I haven’t done in a while? Paint my toenails!”

In general, I think trying to do things faster is a poor strategy for being on time if you struggle with that. Better to do as many things as possible either well in advance or not at all.

If I’m shaving I can easily hit 20 minutes. I don’t have a mirror so I have to go by feel until I get out and clean up the last bits. Otherwise it’s a quick wash, rinse, and go.

I live in a wet part of the country, and my town is served both by local wells and by access to a large reservoir. It can get by with either one of those. Our typical “please use less water” request is “please only water your lawn every other day”. I don’t water my lawn, as I grow grasses that live comfortably in the local climate. And we usually have no requests to limit our water use.

Yes, if we are in the midst of a drought, I avoid long luxurious showers. But most of the time we aren’t. And water is a renewable resource. The sun picks up our used water and drops it back into our water table.

I once missed my alarm when I had to drive SOMEONE ELSE to the airport. (long story, but the alarm failed to go off at all, and it took me weeks to debug why.) I skipped the shower completely and threw on enough clothes to be decent and took him there. He didn’t have a leisurely time to hang out at the airport, but he did make the flight without needing to run through the airport or anything.

+1

I also suffer the ‘spacing out in the shower’ (and while doing many other tasks) effect. It’s annoying, because I know I can do it quicker. But I just can’t keep up that level of concentration every day.

Yes, me too; something about water falling on me that is absolutely hypnotic.

I don’t really enjoy showers and get through as quickly as I can. Knowing about this thread I decided to actually time myself the other night. I pressed the start on the timer as I got into the shower and stopped it as I got out. 3:56. Water running probably half the time. Get in and get me and the washcloth wet. Turn water off, soap up the washcloth, then soap up myself. Turn water back on and rinse. I do my hair once a week and that probably adds a minute to the operation.

I have all the time in the world, and no need to conserve water. When I take a shower, I need to really scrub my hair and scalp and thoroughly clean everything else. Plus I’m old and don’t move quickly. So about 15-20 minutes.