Singers with really small ranges?

We all know that singers like Bobby McFerrin and Mariah Carey are known for their large vocal ranges, but are there any famous singers out there who have really small ranges?

(Not sure if this belongs in GQ or Cafe Society.)

Well, Julie Andrews is limited to less than octave these days…

She wasn’t a professional singer, but Audrey Hepburn. For Breakfast at Tiffany’s, “Moon River” was written specifically to fit her very limited range.

Two words: Lou Reed. As far as I can tell, Lou has a range of two notes. It’s like he’s speaking and shifting pitch on some words.

These days, Bob Dylan may be just as limited.

ISTR hearing that Ringo Starr has a very limited singing range.

Sam Levine originated the role of Nathan Detroit in Guys and Dolls. He had a very poor singing voice; the only song he sang a solo part in the show was “Sue Me.” Levine had such trouble getting on key that Frank Loesser wrote the song with a lead up to the chorus (several notes before the words “Sue Me,” which is where the song originally began). By singing up to those notes, Levine was able to sing the melody.

When the time came to made a movie, Frank Sinatra – who clearly had a fine singing voice – was given the role (and a few more songs). It seemed odd casting to put him in a role made for an actor who couldn’t sing and he wanted to change places with Marlon Brando as Sky Masterson.
Rex Harrison also had a limited vocal range; he developed the sing/speaking for My Fair Lady to get around it.

You might be interested to know there’s an entire forum dedicated to discussing vocal ranges of popular singers.

Just about any blues singer would qualify. Singers like Billie Holiday and Bessie Smith only had about an octave range in their prime.

Brian Johnston of AC/DC sings in a tiny range at the extreme limits of his voice. He used to exhibit a wider range with his previous band so it may be that he can’t manage it any more.

Uncle Kracker seems to stay within a single octave or so.

Tracy Chapman and Natalie Merchant come to mind - pleasant voices that never get much beyond…pleasant.

Joey Ramone.

Joan Jett, baby. Two notes: high…low.

Yet it all works.

John Davidson.

Really? During one televised concert he was kinda rangey; from “Last Dance” in baritone to “Cat’s Cradle” semi-vocalized.

Lemmy? :cool:

Neil Young.

Not from what I can tell (unless his range has severely diminished recently, and you’re referring to his current state). Average range, that just happens to be centered at a higher-pitched place than most male voices.

Norah Jones?

Lauren Bacall in Woman of the Year. Even within her tiny range, she’s never in tune. At least she has admitted that she’s not a singer . . . as if there were any doubt.

Johnny Cash.