sitcoms--not what they said, but how they said it

Maybe this should be in IMHO, since it’s sort of a poll, but since it’s related to TV, I thought I should put it here.

Sometimes in a sitcom (or elsewhere, but I’d like to focus on sitcoms here) there is a line that is spoken in such a way that it just cracks you up no matter how many times you see it. The line itself isn’t even necessarily funny, but the way the actor says it just gets you somehow.

For me, the line that never fails to crack me up is from an episode of Friends. (Not my favorite show by a longshot, but I do enjoy it.) The episode involves Rachel mistakenly creating a “trifle” but mixing up the recipe so that she ends up putting not only the regular ingredients in, but meat as well. (I think the pages of the cookbook stuck together, so she had some shepherd’s pie ingredients or something.) Anyway, the line is spoken by Ross, in his typical cracked, high-pitched voice, when he tastes this concoction: “It tastes like feet!” Again, it’s not a very funny line per se, but it just strikes me as so damn funny when I hear it.

Any others? These should be things that you crack up just thinking about them…

It’s a odd subject for the SDMB, because we’d all be typing things like “this line isn’t funny when you just read it, see, but the way he said was so damn funny.” It’s kind of like a debate about regional accents: “Yeah, he said toMAHto and I just cracked right up.”

In any event, their ability to make you laugh with a “feet” line stands as proof positive that all six Friends are worth every penny of the $3 Billion they make each episode.

Just recently I saw the movie Big Trouble.

In the very beginning we see a pair of gangstars entering the airport. One trips and the contents of his golf bag, including a bunch of golf clubs and a rifle, fall out.

A passerby stares at this, and the dumb gangstar says, “We play wid a guy what cheats.”

Heheheheheheh.

Perfect timing and inflection and everything.

A lot of lines from Red Dwarf are like this.

One from Friends that gets me and my friends rolling any time any of us spakes it:

Get up on the wrong side of the bed today? Lighten up. And no, it’s NOTHING like a debate about regional accents. No one is debating anything, just sharing things we find amusing. The fact that they’re from popular entertainment like Friends may mean that others laugh at the same lines too. For instance, I love the “PI-VOT!” line from when they’re moving a couch as well.

And the way Balki Bartakamous from Perfect Strangers said “Wow!” cracked me up every time too. So there.

Seinfeld.
When Kramer slammed down his money and said “I’m out!” in “The Contest.”
Two words, yet so funny.

hahaha Im with the PIVOT!!! PIVVVVOT

Basil Fawlty musing on what Mrs Richards might have been expecting to see out of Torquay hotel bedroom window. “Krakatoa, perhaps? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain…?”

Beautiful writing, but oh such beautiful delivery. Cracks me up just to think of it.

I will also watch any amount of Will & Grace just for Megan Mullally’s wonderful delivery of her lines. I don’t really like the show, but she’s gold. Sometimes she doesn’t even have to say anything, but she still gets the biggest laugh of the scene.

I find it funny when Chandler, Ross and Monica are telling each other secrets, and ross accuses chandler of sleeping with the janitor when at college and Chandler says ’ That wasn’t me that was you’

Cracks me up all the time.

Also funny:
Judge all you want to but…married a lesbian, left a man at the altar, fell in love with a gay ice dancer, threw a girl’s wooden leg in a fire, live in a box!

it’s so pathetic that I was able to type that from memory… :eek:

John Cleese is one of the supreme comic actors of all time. I can’t think of a single role he’s ever played that he didn’t just kill in. Plus look at the last, Cleese-less season of “Monty Python’s Flying Circus” and you can see just how much of that show’s genius was his.

In1981 there was a short-lived show called “Best of the West.” the show was forgettable, but for one line. Tracey Walter attempts to perform a magic trick which leads to the complete and accidental destruction of the room he is in.

“Ta-Da.” Only Tracey Wlater could pull it off.

Basil Fawlty rulz, both for the posted lines and for this (he has been told that the spoiled child of a guest doesn’t like the chips - they aren’t the shape he is used to) -

Regards,
Shodan

The best single word ever spoken in a Cheers episode comes at the end of John Cleese’s 1987 guest appearance as Dr. Simon Finch-Royce, noted couples counsellor. Having declared early on that Sam and Diane were clearly not suited to each other, he is gradually driven insane by Diane’s attempts to convince him otherwise. His final four-minute rant, coming after numerous intrusions and phone calls and arguments from Diane declares that yes, Sam and Diane are perfect for each other, yes, they will have the perfect relationship, and if he is wrong (he shouts out the hotel room window for all of Boston to witness) he swears to kill himself in the most disgusting manner possible.

Whereupon, Diane turns to Sam and smugly comments, “See?”

S’cuse my ignorance. What’s this from? Who lived in a box? (I’m in the UK if that might help explain my ignorance).

Chandler was spending time in a box to make up with Joey after a fight on Friends.

–Cliffy

It’s from Friends, one of the Thanksgiving episodes, 3rd or 4th season. It’s when Monica invited Richard’s son (Richard was her former much-older boyfriend) over for dinner and everyone was being very judgemental about it and she just went off on them and stalked out of the room. Ross was the one who married a lesbian, Rachel left a man at the altar, Phoebe fell in love with a gay ice dancer, Joey threw a girl’s wooden leg in a fire, and Chandler was spending the day in a big wooden box to make up for kissing Joey’s girlfriend (who ended up being Chandler’s girlfriend for a while).

Actually, some of these lines are still funny, even though I never heard them, especially Cleese’s.

One of my favorite is from “Blazing Saddles,” and it comes after the sheriff greeted an old woman who responded with “up yours, nigger!”

Gene Wilder consoles Cleavon Little by telling him that these people are born from the land, they’re the salt of the earth, born from the common clay.

“You know . . . morons.”

After that, "You know . . . " became a catch-phrase with us when we’re dealing with a dimwit.

From a Rowan Atkinson special

There are probably dozens of quotes from Blackadder that fit the bill.