Six Songs of You

1.What was the first song you ever bought?
Woodstock by Matthew’s Southern Comfort. My older brother had said it would be a big hit, and it was. #1.

1. What song always gets you dancing?
    It Mek by Desmond Decker

2. What song takes you back to your childhood?
    Me and You and a Dog Named Boo by Lobo

3. What is your perfect love song?
    Vision by Peter Hammill

4. What song would you want at your funeral?
    Terrapin Station by the Dead

5. What song makes you, you?
    A Place to Survive by VDGG

Believe it or not, I think the first CD I ever bought was Meatloaf’s Bat out of Hell.

Vampire Weekend’s cover of Fleetwood Mac’s Everywhere
    Vampire Weekend - Everywhere (Cover) - YouTube

Huh, I’ve got nothing for this one. Maybe I’m a replicant.

Ball and Chain by Sublime
    Sublime - 5446 That's My Number / Ball And Chain - YouTube

Princes of the Universe, from the soundtrack to Highlander, by Queen.
    Queen - Princes Of The Universe (Official Video) - YouTube

There’s no one song that does that for me.

Detroit Rock City by KISS (I still have this 45)

Phenomenon by LL Cool J

Hotel California by The Eagles

I Only Want To Be With You by Barry White

Louie, Louie by The Kingsmen (it’s in my will that this song gets played)

Ace of Spades by Motörhead

In the Mood - Glenn Miller Orchestra (1939)

Ma Na Ma Na – Various (but mainly The Muppets) (1968)

Star of Bethlehem – John Williams (1990)

Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini— Sergei Rachmaninoff (1934)

Requiem—Bob Chilcott (2010)

Call to the Remembrance –Richard Farrant (16th Century)

“Pass the Dutchie” by Musical Youth.

2. What song always gets you dancing?
“Got To Get You Into My Life” (Earth, Wind & Fire version)

3. What song takes you back to your childhood?
“Darlin’ Nikki” by Prince. No joke. I seriously can remember listening to this tape in the car with my mom and trying to sing along, not understanding the song at all and thinking that “Nikki started to cry.” I was close. :wink:

4. What is your perfect love song?
“Always and Forever” by Heatwave.

5. What song would you want at your funeral?
“Goodbye Cruel World” by Pink Floyd. Short, accurate and to the point.

6. What song makes you, you?
“Atomic Dog” by George Clinton.

ETA: Those links are to YouTube’s mobile site, so I’m not sure if they’ll work on a normal browser. My apologies if they’re screwed up.

I think my first record was “Thriller” and I bought it because of “Billie Jean.” I still think that’s one of the greatest pop songs ever, so I have good taste.
2. What song always gets you dancing?

The Scissor Sisters’s and “I Don’t Feel Like Dancing.”
3. What song takes you back to your childhood?

Feed the Birds” from Mary Poppins was my first thought. But when it comes to something that was played on the radio, BJ Thomas’s “Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song.” The organist at Dodger Stadium was playing it the other day and boy, was I taken back to being a kid.
4. What is your perfect love song?

Nothing Compares 2U” by Sinead O’Connor. I think it’s because the lyrics are understated and feel very real to me. Runner up is “Something in the Way She Moves” by James Taylor.
5. What song would you want at your funeral?

April Come She Will” by Simon and Garfunkel.
6. What song makes you, you?

Roll in My Sweet Baby’s Arms” by Flatt and Scruggs. I thought I’d pick something that reflects growing up hillbilly. Or maybe “Un Di Felice, Eterea” which reflects my passion for opera. Or, you know, any one of a thousand songs.

Oh, I know. “We Are All Connected” by Symphony of Science. It captures my world view perfectly.

Hungry like The Wolf

Heart of Glass

Only The Good Die Young

Kiss Me Baby

In My Hour of Darkness

You Can’t Always Get What You Want

1.What was the first song you ever bought? - It was an album. Ace of Base. The Sign.

1. What song always gets you dancing? - Toss-up between “Devil’s Dance Floor” by Flogging Molly and “Start Wearing Purple” by Gogol Bordello.

2. What song takes you back to your childhood? “Ride My Seesaw” by The Moody Blues. My mom listened to their best of album all the time.

3. What is your perfect love song? - “You Are the Everything,” R.E.M.

4. What song would you want at your funeral? - “Growing Old is Getting Old” by Silversun Pickups.

5. What song makes you, you? Depends on what you’re asking. Describes me? “Panic Switch,” also by Silversun Pickups. Influenced me the most? “American Jesus” by Bad Religion, which is the song that introduced me to punk.

1.What was the first song you ever bought? Having been born in the Internet Age I haven’t bought any CD or album and don’t use Itunes either-just YouTube.

1. What song always gets you dancing? Nothing makes me dance as noted above.

2. What song takes you back to your childhood? “In the Good Old Summertime” (courtesy of Arthur) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUM3XXHFDQ4

3. What is your perfect love song? “Hannelore” largely because it has a name somewhat resembling my crush http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og0ESnuZ94A

4. What song would you want at your funeral? Mozart’s Requiem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi8vJ_lMxQI

5. What song makes you, you? Not sure about this…

An album - Meet The Beatles (Dad took us to the record store with the stated goal that from then on we would go once a month and all pick an album to buy. Dad bought a Lefty Frizzell LP, Mom chose an Andy Williams LP, my brother got the soundtrack to The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and I got Meet The Beatles. That actually was the first and last time we went to the record store.)

1. What song always gets you dancing?*
    Not that I would ever dance in front of anyone else because I’d look like a demented fool, but if I’m alone, I dance around to lots of songs that aren’t considered “dance” songs, such as Hector Zazou (RIP) featuring Anneli Drecker (from Bel Canto) and Gerard Depardieu - “I’ll Strangle You”. It’s not a fast song but I simply can’t stay still when it’s playing.

Napoleon XIV’s “They’re Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha”

The Pogues - “Fairytale of New York”

Peter Gabriel w Kate Bush - “Don’t Give Up” (more because it’s two of my favorite singers together than to make any statement via the lyrics. There’s not as much Kate in “Games Without Frontiers,” but that would be alright too.)

HTR - “For We Believe”

See You In September, The Happenings, 1966

In the Mood, Glenn Miller, 1941 version

It’s My Party (and I’ll Cry if I Want To)–was 12 years old and heard it in an honest to goodness malt shop in OK on Rte 66 while driving cross country; real Dobie Gillis type stuff.

The Way You Look Tonight, Sinatra, Columbia Recording

Beethoven’s Ode To Joy (Vocal) From Symphony No. 9 In D Minor, Op. 125, finale presto.

Begin the Beguine, from Broadway Melody of 1940 with Fred and Ellie dancing

1. First song ever bought - Oh, that would be an album, “Meet the Beatles”!
  2. Song that gets me dancing - their name is legion, but today I might narrow it down to “Love Shack” by the B-52s.
  3. Song that takes me back to childhood - early Elvis!..no, wait, I spent a summer on a relative’s farm in Quebec, there was a neighbor girl who came over to keep me company, and though we spoke different languages, we enjoyed sitting out in the truck in the evening listening to rock n’ roll on the radio - “My Boyfriend’s Back”, lol, forgot who that was, 'hey la, hey la, my boyfriend’s back".
  4. Perfect love song - “Stand By Me” by Ben E. King. Moves me to tears even today.
  5. Song to be played at my funeral - for no logical reason, I have a fantasy of a big weeping crowd parting as my coffin is carried down a path to the grave, accompanied by bagpipers, and the actual song they will play as they plant me is “Mull of Kintyre” by Paul McC.
  6. What song makes me, me? …gotta think…
  1. Song that makes me, me - “The Mummers Dance” by Loreena McKennitt.
  1. She Loves You/I Want to Hold Your Hand.
  2. Basically most of them. I love this song!
  3. Anything from South Pacific. Ours was sort of a “performance” family and most of our albums were soundtracks.
  4. Amborosia’s That’s How Much.
  5. John Lennon—There Are Places I Remember. Or Todd Rundgren’s Last Ride.
  6. Eric Clapton—If I Could Change the World.

1.What was the first song you ever bought? Queen’s "Another One Bites The Dust. on 45. :stuck_out_tongue:

1. What song always gets you dancing? Van Halen’s “Jump”. Long story.

2. What song takes you back to your childhood? Jim McClean’s “American Pie”; used to sing it with my brothers; we must have been 4-5 years old, had NO idea what it was about. We just liked it a lot.

3. *What is your perfect love song? * No clue, hrm. “Hallelujah” probably, hehe.

4. What song would you want at your funeral? There’s a few I really like, but I can’t think of them now.

5. *What song makes you, you? * Ditto.

Yeah, that’s usually my go-to as well, and people would certainly expect the Eric Idle one. :slight_smile:

But…pet adoption? Pfft! You’ve been watching too many SPCA ads, sir/ma’am!

1. You going to have the music passed out? So I’ll finally know what the words are? (I know what I think it says but…)

I still don’t have a ‘perfect love song’, pfft. I’ll stick with Hallelujah. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have an adopted pet. If you have a problem with that, my sincere condolences.

Cecil printed the lyrics over 25 years ago.