Skinless, boneless chicken thighs

I’m thinking of making tandoori chicken tomorrow. I’ve got a recipe that’s worked reasonably well with skinless chicken legs. But the chicken isn’t sold that way, so I first need to skin it. I’d rather avoid that chore, so I’m considering using the skinless, boneless thighs I found in the supermarket.

How well do you think that will work? For the bone-in chicken legs, I’ve broiled it for about 12-13 minutes on each side. Should I reduce the cooking time if I use boneless thighs?

What timing. I just made my first batch of General Tso’s chicken using them and it turned out excellent. I like the dark meat a lot better than white meat for this sort of dish, and the small price increase to have the bones removed was worth it to me. I cant’ see why Tandoori wouldn’t be just as good (the recipe I’m looking at has the marinated meat on skewers), so if you don’t have to cook the bones it ought to go really fast. I’d say go for it!

I would think you could successfully substitute the thighs for the chicken legs. Not sure by how much you’d need to reduce the broiling time. Maybe you could look for a recipe like the one the Duke of Rat describes and guesstimate the proper time?

GT

I should have linked the Recipe I was reading at the time.

I notice that if the chicken has no bones (using the same recipe), then it’s called Chicken Tikka.

I watched an episode of America’s Test Kitchen when they made jambalaya and substituted chicken thighs for chicken breasts. In long, slow cooking the breasts would get over cooked. They sauteed the thighs skin side down at first and then on the other side, for about five minutes each. The thighs were removed to a platter and covered to keep warm while other ingredients were added to the pot. Then, the thighs were skinned and returned to the pot for about another hour of cooking. When the dish was finished, the cook fished the thighs out of the pot and by this time, the meat easily separated from the bones, which were removed and the meat returned to the pot. Quite a few steps, but the dish turned out very nicely. Maybe you could try this technique.

Pretty much echo what everyone else has already said.

Your post sounded like you were reading a recipe for General Tso’s chicken and equating it to Chicken Tikka with bones. “I don’t think so!” I said to myself. I’m glad I checked the link, and found that you’re at least close. :wink: