Slow Horses (careful about spoilers, please)

I was expecting Chekov’s corkscrew to be honest. There’s still time for one of us to be right.

That’s my guess too. The database wipe was to protect them. Sid being tied to it is a good guess. Or maybe Harkness is playing playing both sides and wants to steal the file to keep it out the hands of the assassins? Seems unlikely – I don’t foresee a redemption arc for him – but who knows.

Question: is the file still missing? If it is, how do the assassins have all the info about the Horses?

First question, can we have some sort of rule that we don’t have to keep blurring spoilers 48 or 72 hours after an episode airs? Otherwise posting & reading is exhausting. Hopefully the “wait until all the episodes air and binge them” crowd is smart enough to stay out of the thread now that the new season has started.

Lamb’s best line so far - “Christ, it’s like watching plankton think.”

I assumed the file was given to the assassins, and that’s how their finding their targets.

At some point Chekhov’s multifunction inkjet wireless printer has to pop up again. Standish was too suspicious of it for it to not come into play. I’m guessing it’s an “off the books” printer that Tregorian had, which got hacked and gave the infiltrators access to the Park’s records. That’s why Tregorian wound up a target of the hit couple.

I’m genuinely confused by what the sleazy former politician (my wife and I refer to him as Fucko, because he called someone that many season ago) has over Diana Taverner. The money she took from him actually came from a bad source, and that reflects on the Park how?

I’m glad to see Sid back. I always thought they did her dirty. But certainly she must be up to some kind of shenanigans.

I feel real bad for Annie, the older woman … the assassins definitely killed her on their way out, taking her car. No loose ends. But I did smile at River continuing to pick at the very old food.

How long after ep drop should we spoiler protect btw?

I refuse to believe that. I mean, you’re probably right, but I’m choosing to think otherwise.

I got a little frustrated with Sid and River this episode. Yay, we escaped! Now let’s just walk casually, I’m sure the assassins won’t continue to pursue us. Whoops, they found us! Fortunately, we escaped again. Certainly, we got away for good this time, no need to be careful anymore. Whoops again! (and repeat).

Also, why is River being so clueless about who might be trying to kill Sid? He knows two of the ex-Horses were already killed, why doesn’t he connect the dots? That ridiculous “it must be a spy who stole your identity and killed some Russians” theory seemed to come out of nowhere.

I don’t know how this gets answered. Does the OP (@Darren_Garrison) need to specify how it works? Is it up to a mod? Should we run a poll here? Could I suggest open spoilers once an episode airs, with a courtesy of the first person to post about that episode include a header or obvious indication that it’s a new episode?

Look for Anne to show up in Grandpa’s kitchen some time during season 10.

Seconded.

I am ambivalent on the strictness of the spoiler policy. I didn’t even mention spoilers at all in the original thread title but edited after DSeid’s suggestion (inside the 15 minute edit window).

Heh. Seems to be my place to ask about clarity on spoiler directives! I concur with the first post after drop blurring any spoilers and after that it is clear a new ep is open to discussion.

I think we’re supposed to be a little confused by this point, because to the best of recollection, there hasn’t been a reason provided. And then the “retaliation” comment being a big deal makes me think there are some important reveals coming up in later episodes that tie it all together.

Because that’s who he is. I think there’s an inclination to cast River as the noble protagonist that was unfairly banished, both handsome and accomplished when action is required. But the fact is is that across all the seasons he has always been both dangerously impulsive and a little slow on the uptake. He’d be a perfectly good “dog” if he were less impulsive and very good agent if he were more clever. But he’s betwixt and between, not really awesome at anything other than those brief moments when his specific skills (mostly action hero stuff) can save the day. Slough House is probably where he legitimately belongs.

I don’t think he is stupid per se - he’s certainly brighter than some. But he is rarely ever quick-witted or clever.

ETA: To quote a rather cleverer man, “It’s like watching plankton think.” :grinning:

I don’t disagree with this, but seeing a connection between the murders doesn’t exactly require much cleverness. The simplest “Dog” could see that.

I need to watch the scene where Sid is using Anne’s computer again. I think I might have missed something there that led to the stolen identity theory. (River’s not the only one slow on the uptake.)

I don’t know. It seems to me that the first three seasons or so, he was portrayed more as a talented screw-up - someone who was smart and competent about 80% of the time, but who kept on getting in his own way and making stupid mistakes. If anything, his problem used to be overthinking things, not slowness.

As the series has progressed, though, he’s been getting less and less capable, to the point that he’s barely able to perform basic human interactions. I suspect that by next year he’ll have trouble tying his own shoelaces.

All of season 3 was based around the criminals planning exactly how they could lead River by the nose to exactly the wrong conclusions so they could get him to evacuate London to clear the way for their robbery. He’s wildly overconfident and continuously jumps to the wrong conclusions. As I said earlier in this thread, he’s a B- who thinks he’s an A+ because of who his grandfather is. If he was willing to be a B-, he’d have a cushy job in the Park. Because he insists he’s an A+, he’s in Slough House.
Having said that, remember this episode is still the same day that he buried his grandfather and had the father who tried to kill him show up at the funeral. He’s clearly not at his best.
And this had to be the funniest episode they’ve ever made. Moira vomiting in Standish’s purse, Lamb out-farting the kid - “Let me out! I’ve got breathing issues!”, and the entire sequence with the old lady was hilarious - “This picture must have been taken a while ago.”

To be fair, almost everybody in British intelligence is pretty dim in this show except for Lamb and Standish. Certainly everybody at the park and most of the slow horses.

Yeah, I think that is an excellent way to put it. He’s not incompetent (like Struan absolutely was), he’s just not particularly awesome. Which aligns with…

80% is a B- :slightly_smiling_face:. Like I said, I think he is intelligent in a certain sense. But, he’s just not particularly quick-witted and frequently misses the forest for the trees. He’s still more functional as a human being and overall agent than most of the Slow Horses. But that’s not a tremendously high bar.

When we first saw Struan Loy this season, he was telling his martial arts class that they should be prepared to react to any threat of attack, immediately followed by seeing him completely unprepared when attacked.

I think he was on track to be an A+ but when he got screwed over at the beginning of Season 1 he never recovered. He’s completely self involved and stewing endlessly about what he’s “owed.”