Slythe: What's this guy's problem?

Over in Great Debates, I started a thread called “Prayer in School?”, in which I proposed two things: 1) The posting of Commandments 4-10 (of the “modern” version), and 2) A moment of silence before school. In the OP I stated that I may or may not actually believe in this, but I would like to discuss it. So this guy slythe comes along, and immediately starts taking shots at my religion, and making crazy assumptions about me, based on the fact that I am a Christian. You can check out the entire thread here:

But I’ll save you all some time by posting some of his greatest hits:
“As far as the Christian majority goes, if you can truthfully tell me that you believe that all those people in your majority are going to Heaven, I’ll be surprised. Believe me, alot of people in those other sects don’t believe that you are going anywhere but Hell because you don’t worship as they do.”
(This was the first mention of Heaven or Hell, or any related subject, on the thread)
“Yes, if we indoctrinate our children from an early age in home and school when it comes to prayer and the Ten Commandandments they might come out with a “proper” attitude, if “proper” means “Believing as Rousseau believes”.”
“I do like his idea that to be moral, one must be Christian. I wonder if he has any idea whatsoever that other religions have their own moral codes that are just as good as his Ten Commandments.”
(That’s one of my favorites)
“Is your belief so shakey that it can only be maintained through constant re-enforcement? That is the only reason I can come up with for your wanting to have your religion dominate all aspects of your, and our life.”
(This is about when I said that I wanted to "punch him in the fucking nose. That was a mistake, and I admitted it)
“You might possibly earn respect by showing respect, or at the very least acknowledgement of another’s opinions, but it doesn’t come automatically just because your belief system is currently the most popular.”
(I like that one because it’s so deliciously hypocritical)
“How insecure are you in your faith?”
“In these days of “different opinion = wrong opinion = wrong person = evil person”, it has become increasingly hard for atheists such as myself to hang onto civil rights others take for granted.”
“Second, your religion, as a whole and in it’s official capacity, has been attacking others for centuries. Because I refuse to play Dungeons and Dragons(The Jesus Edition) with you, you feel justified in personal attacks and belittlement. I don’t care what you believe, how you believe, or who believes with you.”
(More hypocrisy)
“Rousseau, I am sorry if you feel put upon because you can’t force others to worship as you do,”
“It gives special consideration to a group of people that, if given half a chance, would turn this country into a church-state in half a heartbeat.”
Here’s the one that drove me nucking futs:
"BTW, I am not “anti-Christian”, I am “anti- believing in fairy tales long after people have supposedly grown up and trying to make others believe in them too.”
And then he writes all of these quotes off to this:
“Rousseau, Oh Great Teacher, Criticising your religion’s intrusion into public affairs is not a personal attack.
This is.
Take your smug and condesending attitude and royal “we” and shove them where the sun don’t shine.”

I repeatedly told this guy that he was offending me, and he repeatedly made remarks akin to the last one there (most of them were to the effect of: "You are trying to invade public schools with Christianity, and therefore I have the right to say anything about your religion that I want to). I asked him to try and leave his prejudices out of the discussion, and he repeatedly came back with more. I finally decided to stop wasting everyone else’s time on this guy, and just drag him into the Pit.

So, what’s this guy’s problem?

The IQ of a group is equal to the IQ of the dumbest member divided by the number of people in the group.

Whoops. Forgot to post the link. http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000662.html

The IQ of a group is equal to the IQ of the dumbest member divided by the number of people in the group.

What exactly is wrong with this one? Do you disagree with it?

I have a problem with the first part of the statement, because I never said anything to that effect at all. He assumed that that was my belief, simply by the virtue of me being a Christian. I have to say that I was very offended by it. He also implies in the second part that I am ignorant of other religions, which is another assumption that springs from his religious intolerance.

Well, if his assumptions were not valid, then why post the Christian commandments in a secular context?

Oh forget it. Don’t feel like arguing this one again. It’s impossible to convince in this medium. Though I did manage to convince my roommate that school condoned explicitly Christian things are a Bad Thing from a religious freedom standpoint.

Rousseau on the Commandments (my emphasis):

Well, yes, they’re moral guidelines. But they certainly can be identified as Christian morals, yes? I understand Slythe’s reaction. I don’t agree with it, but I can see how he might think you are equating Christian with moral.

-andros-

[QUOTE]
“As far as the Christian majority goes, if you can truthfully tell me that you believe that all those people in your majority are going to Heaven, I’ll be surprised. Believe me, alot of people in those other sects don’t believe that you are going anywhere but Hell because you don’t worship as they do.”[//QUOTE]

You put this one at the very top of your list, R.
Surely you must know that Slythe is absolutely right on this.

Rousseau seems to be of the opinion that if 1)I attack Christianity, and 2)He is a Christian, then 3)I am attacking him personally. As I stated in the other thread, if the topic is the proposed intrusion of a certain sect of Christianity into the public schools either overtly or covertly, expect Christianity to take a few hits from people who might resent such intrusion. Also, you might expect resentment from someone if you belittle their point of view because they aren’t of your particular mindset.
In this and the other thread, you have shown a propensity for talking down to people, as if you were dispensing some great wisdom that no one was come up with. You refuse to acknowledge that the moment of silence you propose is for the benefit of the Christians.
You refuse to acknowledge that other religions have moral codes that could be posted. You refuse to acknowledge that others might not want to worship with a moment of silence, or might even be offended by such a moment taking up valuable school time.
I say again, I don’t care who or what you worship, I don’t care where you worship, and I don’t care who you choose to worship with.
Do not try to coerce my child in the public school.
Does anyone besides Rousseau have trouble differentiating between an attack on a person’s belief, and a personal attack on that person?

Man, what is it with dragging people into the pit looking for a fair trial of public opinion? This is The Pit. It’s made for mudslinging, not an orderly jury of one’s peers.

But since you asked, here’s my verdict (and no, I will not further argue or defend it, here it is and good-bye):

Rousseau: You are a dumb Christian fundamentalist who is so self-righteously narcissistic, that you can’t see how your proposals to teach morality are sectarian.

Slythe: Stop baiting the dumb Christian fundamentalist by pushing his buttons. Just make the simple point of pluralism equals non-sectarianism, and his plan is sectarian.

Peace.

Yeah, what he said.
And it’s slythe, not Slythe! :slight_smile:

Sure, slythe, and next you’ll be claiming that you trained the toves so well that they named a tovian movement after you.
(Or is it tovist? I can never remember.)

Tom~

I’m sorry, but I don’t discuss my movements in public. :wink:

Hey Rousseau,

Here’s a thread that you might find interesting:
http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000713.html

That was a great thread, though some people got a bit confused. They couldn’t tell the the difference between Tell me what you think heaven should be like, and Tell me what Heaven will be like.
Most people got the point and had fun with it, though. :slight_smile:

Wally, the point was not if he was “right” about it or not, the point was that he suggested that I held that belief (which I do not), simply by virtue of me being a Christian. That’s what we call “prejudice,” and I find it insulting.

Yep. That’s my opinion exactly. If I attack slythes, and you are a slythe, take it personally.

You might want to think about this one yourself, since it’s what I’ve been trying to tell you. For a while I figured that it was just to complex a topic for you to understand, but now I see that you’re just thick-headed.

You’re right about this. And you refuse to acknowledge that there is at least one Christian out there who is concerned with people who aren’t Christians.

This is simply not true, and it happens to be another assumption and pre-judgement you’ve made about me, just because I’m a Christian.

I say again, you are full of shit, you are a hypocrite, and you are blind to your own intolerances.

Why do they need a moment of silence “to pray” as part of the classroom routine?

They can pray, if so inclined, aloud at lunch, at recess, before school, and after school. Silently, they can pray ANYTIME! I defy someone, anyone, to keep any other person from praying silently any time they want…this whole concept of “moment of silence for prayer” is a method of getting state recognition and promotion for a religious practice - and that is all it is.

Why set aside ANY additional time for the excersize of a religious practice that NOT ALL CHILDREN PARTICIPATE IN.

As far as “Commandments” … Please. Stop. My child has a right NOT to have YOUR religion in her face, on the wall of her classroom. Public Schools are NOT for teaching ANY RELIGION’S MORAL CODE.

If you want a child to have religious moral instruction either a> send them to a religious school or B> teach them YOUR religious morals at HOME. Leave my kid’s extremely valuable classroom time and space out of your agenda

That is all.

I guess my rant didn’t really touch on the OP.

From what I’ve read, slythe doesn’t really seem to have a “problem”.

geez

[Please note the nonballistic tone of the following paragraph :)]

Gee, Ross. I’m not sure you really read either your statements in the thread you mentioned at the very top here or anyone else’s statements there either. Are you sure you didn’t mean to type your name in the title instead of slythe’s? You specifically stated that the Eight-fold Path is not a moral code although it is and you specifically stated that the Decologue is although it isn’t (it’s a code of law, not morals; morality was addressed later and not in the Decologue). Anyway, why were you so selective in your quoting in this thread’s OP?

Okay, you can call this one “ballistic” if it thrills you: Do you lie about everything or is it just about religion?

Hmm, I wonder if you might want to rethink the way you phrased that. Given that the commandments referred to are ones such as not lying, stealing, murdering, or committing adultery, are you sure you want to identify these as specifically Christian morals? I rather think you’ll find a few people who post on this board who are either non-Christian or even anti-Christian who will still say that it is part of their moral code not to lie, cheat, murder, or commit adultery.

-Melin

Rousseau,

"quote:
You refuse to acknowledge that the moment of silence you propose is for the benefit of the Christians.

You’re right about this. And you refuse to acknowledge that there is at least one Christian out there who is concerned with people who aren’t Christians."

What do you mean by this? I was with you in the beginning Rus, but if you are saying you want to use my time to pray for me I’ll slap you.