*sniff*

I make soap, and I have a fragrance oil that smells like fresh cut grass - haven’t used the fragrance yet, but in the bottle it smells right on.

Susan

Cucumbers.

I second gasoline. I don’t know why, but I’ve always liked the smell of gas stations. Can’t say the same for car exhaust, though. Freshly washed flannel shirts smell nice too.

100LL avgas. I don’t know if it’s the tetraethyl lead, but it’s different-- sweeter, I suppose-- than automotive unleaded.

Smoke wafting off a freshly extingushed candle

Woodsmoke

The “new Nintendo” smell that Japanese electronics seem to have right out of the box

Thanksgiving turkeys in the oven

Cilantro

Fresh-cut Christmas trees and leaves as they rot and turn back to soil. The smell of an icy cold stream and Queen Anne’s Lace in the summer sun. Chamomile tea, apples that have fallen on the gound, and bittersweet chocolate.
Glad to know I’m not the only person who likes the smell of cilantro!

I like most of the scents mentioned, especially Boscibo’s lilacs (lots of those in my home town) and Cougarfang’s old books, but Copper_moon’s Robert Frost really is just right. :slight_smile:

One that hardly anybody else goes for that I really like is the faint whiff of a distant skunk. Sure it’s overpowering up close, but give it half a mile and it’s musky and sharp and wild enough to stir your blood.

Erm, Trip

[sub][sup]you’re not supposed to sniff that…[/sub][/sup]

Real vanilla

Freesia

My perfume…it reeks on some of my friends, but it smells wonderful on me. (IMHO) Clinique Aromatic Elixir. Yummmm

The Healing Garden zzztheraphy…my second favorite scent…don’t know what all is in it, but it is all natural and I do know it has chamomile…

Berries. Mulberry, Blueberry…most berries

Laundry dried in the sun

PearGinger candles from Pier One Imports
I LOVE good smells! Oh, and I love garlic, too. Can’t ever have too much garlic.

Fresh brewed coffee (I swear I can’t walk past a Starbucks without stopping, and they’re everywhere here)

Basil, rosemary, thyme…just about any herb

Used to love freshly cut grass, but the past couple of years it makes me sneeze and my eyes get all red and itchy

Frying onions at the hamburger stands at the PNE (annual fair), even though I’m vegetarian. And count me in for garlic too!

Nice ripe strawberries (the real kind you can only get for 2 weeks in June, not the cardboard ones from California)

And finally, my shampoo

So many good smells already listed!
But your mention of sawdust, Jessica2, made me a little nostalgic and teary (in a good way). My dad was a carpenter and was always building things. He died when I was 12. Just thinking about how I miss the smell of sawdust in our garage from when I was a little girl…:frowning: :slight_smile:

This might sound strange but I just love the smell of burnt tortilla. Only the flour kind, not corn.

And whiskey. I don’t drink it but I like the way it smells.

Yes! Yes! I’m not the only person in the world who loves the smell of very-(dang, what is the word, the opposite of concentrated)-ah!-diluted skunk!

Sure don’t understand the love of the smell of gasoline, or tar, or, egad, nail polish remover. Ick!
But I do love the smell of airplane glue and Magic Markers.
Go figger.

Food smells: marshmallow peeps, creamed onions

When summer’s over and we’ve had the first good rain, and then it gets clear again, and I can finally burn summer’s accumulation of pine needles and pine cones and leaves and broken limbs and all-kinds-of-woodish things in a huge bonfire – there’s no better smell. But it’s not so special during the spring burning season, because I’ve been smelling woodsmoke all winter long.

Burning leaves

The smell just before a thunder storm

Freshly washed children

Old books

Coffee beans

Sauteing onions and peppers

Chocolate souffle baking

Bread baking

Good peppermint tea

Horses

Leather

Lavendar, the smell of it on your hands after you run them over the leaves or flowers.

Rosemary, ditto.

Good strong coffee, yum. I drink mostly tea these days, but sometimes the smell of coffee will lure me in.

Clean, unspun wool, or wool yarn, even. I always love to smell wool yarn. I even enjoy the smell of shorn, unwashed wool.*

Leather. Love the smell of it.

The scent of honeysuckle when the wind blows it to you. Sometimes it makes me sneeze, but it still smells good.

:slight_smile:

I agree with you coldfire. I love the smell of petrol. :slight_smile:

I gotta agree with the wonderful smell of leather. It reminds me of the renaissance fair I used to work at. Mmmm, good times.

I can’t believe I forgot; Here in Texas the summer seems to last forever. Not being from here originally it drives me and my sister insane. So in September and October we are vigilant about noticing the very first sign of autumn. It’s not really autumn though since the leaves rarely change color but it is the death of summer. The first sign is usually the smell. I can’t describe it but you can smell the change on the air. Maybe just a hint of crispnessin 90+ degree weather. We restrain ourselves but every year my sister and I just rejoice over the death of summer that brings the autumn smells of burning leaves and woodsmoke. And I love the smell of freshly carved pumpkin almost as much as a candle warmed jack-o-lantern.

How many days left til Halloween?

Oh Peanuthead. I gotta comment on your signature. I love Tom waits “The Early Years” I could listen to it all day long. Not really a fan of anything later though.