Snow is coming for parts of the eastern US

I would expect mudgirl’s plan to end with “… and when the storm melts, the yard will be one big mud puddle! Yaaaaaay!”

Hooray for snow! I see my snow dance worked perfectly and now I will simply wait for the city to be buried. :D:D:D:D:D

I didn’t think anyone knew about that!
Topper Shutt’s “Bread-o-Meter” was at 7.5 last night. Highest it’s been since Feb '03.

Walmart reports that beer and Strawberry Pop Tarts fly off the shelves faster than anything else when a storm is forecast.

Rumor is calling for anywhere from a foot to 20 inches of snow over the weekend, here in northern Baltimore.

Sigh. Guess I need to run to the store on my way home. On the plus side- hey, snow!

I wonder if he’s upped that since last night then. I didn’t catch it then, but I’ll be sure to watch tonight and see. I’m sure all the local stores are now out of bread and milk. I’d go see, but I’d afraid I’d get mugged for my bread and milk!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Hate snow. Hate winter. Bleah. :stuck_out_tongue:

I really, really can’t handle the cold anymore (must be gettin’ old!) but I like the snow just fine as long as I can hunker down and cook ‘comfort food’ and just look at it!

Last I heard, southern Md is expecting 10-20 inches. We have 2 brand new shovels, just in case. We needed at least one - the handle on one of the old shovels came off.

I intend to spend the weekend knitting. We have sufficient bread and milk and TP. One necessity is shoveling a pee path for the little dog. She’s short, so a foot of snow will be bad.

I’m not a fan of snow, but as long as we don’t lose power, I don’t care. It’s the weekend. I can slug.

The Bread-o-meter has hit 10! Topper Shutt has said that it could be one of the top 10 snows we’ve ever seen. Looks like DC and the area right around it is going to be hit the hardest.

We had three inches here in southern England last night. We understand what you’re going through. We can be strong together.

:slight_smile:

I am confused. Why is this a big news story? Is it because so many people live in the northeast? Or because people aren’t prepared for snow there? Or because many news organizations are based there or…?

We get big storms and dumps of snow out here, but I don’t typically see national-level news stories about it. I definitely don’t go out and stock up on bread, milk, TP, etc. If I need to get out, I just hop in the car and go. Very, very rarely does the entire city shut down for snow, let alone a foot of snow. :confused:

Two to four inches total predicted here. Thankfully, we have lots of toilet paper so we can poop up a storm if need be.

Bingo. Also because of the high concentration of self-perceived important people.

I see what you did there. . .:wink:

I used to live in D.C. and I’m in Colorado now. In 1979, I was in high school ans we got two feet of snow on George Washington’s birthday (a Monday holiday) and we ended up getting the rest of the week off. It’s because there is little to no plowing equipment in that part of the country. The people who do go out on the roads can’t drive in the snow, they get stuck, then the few ploughs that are out can’t get through, etc. It’s just a descent into hell.

I’m sure the area transportation authorities are glad that it’s happening on a Saturday.

For PA and northward it’ll just be another big storm.

But DC and below… hooo boy its gonna be a mess. The average yearly snowfall is 15 inches. They are expecting a foot+ in ONE DAY! There’s already a State of Emergency declared in Virginia.

I flew from North Carolina to Pennsylvania yesterday morning - glad I didn’t schedule my flight for tomorrow. I hate snow and am not going to enjoy this at all, but at least it’s not going to ruin my travel plans or anything.

Yeah. I’m from Michigan, and I’m kind of amused the way New Jersey reacts to Winter weather. The whole world stands still, apparently, when it snows. Seriously, it’s December 18. We made it THAT long before the first big snowfall. You East Coasters don’t realize how good you have it.

I’m sure the ski resorts in West Virginia (yes, there are some!) are positively giddy with delight!

We’re only supposed to get an inch overnight and another 1-3 inches tomorrow. Sigh. Oh, well. Our day will come – in February, as it always does.

I don’t get the milk, bread and TP either. Usually around here the stores will be open most of the time, or after a day or so. You have to remember that here, there’s no place to put all that snow. You can’t just push it off to the side usually because there are houses right there. In places like DC and the larger cities they just can’t get rid of the snow so it creates a lot of problems. Plus usually when it snows it’s only a couple of inches, not 15-24 in a day. We don’t have the need to have the equipment to deal with it, much like when other places get a small amount of snow when they don’t normally.