So I placed my first Geocache on Sunday...

I got a really sweet GPS for Christmas, and I’ve been using it to find geocaches. It’s a lot of fun, and I finally got around to placing my own.

Microbug and I, with uberdogs Flash and Two-Tone in tow, set out towards Russell Park, a few miles north of where I live. It’s a nice park- very rustic, lake nearby, lots of wildlife. We finally found a good place to bury the cache, put lots of good stuff in it, wrote down all the details, and headed home. When we got there, I uploaded all the info to the Geocaching website.

A few hours later, I got an email telling me that I’d screwed up. It turns out that you can’t place a cache within .01 miles of another cache. I was a bit confused- I’d checked for a cache in that park, and hadn’t found anything. The email listed the cache that was nearby, so I entered that into my GPS to see where it was.

It turns out that the previous cache was less than 40 feet away from ours. Forty effin’ feet.

Heck, according to the path the GPS had recorded, I’d actually walked right on top of the previous cache while looking for a spot to bury MINE!

Crap… so I gotta go back out there to move it… sigh

I’m sure the dogs won’t mind taking another trip to the park to move it. :slight_smile:

Ah, cool. What kind of GPS did you get? I have a Garmin GPSmap 76s, and have been pretty happy with it so far. I have gotten more interested lately in the benchmark hunting than the Geocaching. I posted a thread a while back that had some of my favorite GPS stuff in it, if you want to take a look:

Fun and Games with the Global Positioning System

I got the Garmin eTrex Vista- it looks like it’s much the same as your 76s, but with perhaps a smaller screen. I bought the topo map for my GPS, and I’ve found that it really helps with geocaching.

I used to geocache. I got into it right after it started. I placed the very first geocache in West Virginia. This was way back before the Park Service got wind of the sport. Once they did, they banned it on NPS lands. My cache was on NPS lands. They confiscated it without even giving me a chance to move it. It really pissed me off because everyone loved that cache. It was a hard hike up the mountain to get to it, but the views were well worth the trip.

I’ve been out of geocaching since then. I recently got a GarminV, so maybe I’ll start again in the spring. I’ve been thinking of doing a virtual cache in the same area as my original cache if no one else has already.

Well, I’ve learned something today. I had never heard of geocaching until now.

Must.
Resist.
Urge.
To.
Buy.
GPS.

:slight_smile:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: COOL other cachers on the SDMB!76s here also.

I can’t wait for Spring so we can go Geocaching again. We didn’t get to do much last summer, so I’m jonesin’ for another trip. I have a Garmin eTrex something-or-other.

Hey, get the latest beta firmware. Gives you 1000 waypoints, that’s enough for my airport database AND the local caches. Kickass.