So...wait...exactly was Seven banned/suspended for?

Except that the only mod really explaining anything at all is Marley.

You’re probably right, and I’ve given the same advice. But Fenris, as much as we (for some reason that’s a mystery to me) don’t get along, has every right as a poster to ask questions until he gets answers that he believes are comprehensible. “Let it go” works fine in theory, but when you’re honestly confused, or you truly feel like the responses are unacceptable, then he should express himself even if no one will do anything about it — for posterity, if nothing else, so that we have record of the fact that a mod’s answer(s) came across as ambiguous or even confusing.

I agree. Seven apparently got 2 warnings (he actually had a third that was discovered after the original banning), then he posted using the PM quote and posted the snarkpit stuff and got banned (later changed to a suspension).

It seems like neither of the last two items were actually against the rules. The question Fenris is trying to get an answer for is, “What action caused the banning/suspension.”

Marley23 has taken up the task, but I’m more confused about the issue now than I was to start with. And, as for me, this will probably be my last post in this series of threads on the subject. I will continue to read them hoping for enlightenment.

I do not believe that Fenris, et al, is (are) honestly confused. I believe that he (they) do find the answers unacceptable. Tough.

But what does that have to do with your “silence=support for Seven” claim?

Our opinion differs.

Once again you demonstrate the social and communication skills that made your tenure as mod here what it was.

L oh fucking L! You have GOT to be joking. His question is the question that is not being answered to his satisfaction. That does not make him a whore of any kind, attention or otherwise.

People are just trying to find out what a jerk IS. What’s the fucking definition? Is it someone who irritates a mod? Is it someone who irritates other posters? What is it?

Jees, Frank. Instead of America Love It Or Leave It, folks are just trying to make the board they love most more amenable to them. Your message is the same one they used to give people who fought for their civil rights.

Well played sir–from your first failed attempt to hijack with the "silence=support for Seven’ foray into your less articulate anger phase, you’ve successfully hijacked this thread until a mod tells you to stop.

That said, I think most mods here will tell you to stop eventually and your rants will appear even more foolish than they already do. So, have fun. I know I will.:smiley:

Oh, for pete’s sake, Liberal, we’ve got ten years of history as to what a jerk is.

Fenris, I see no reason whatsoever why my responses in this thread are any more inappropriate than you starting a new thread on a subject which is already being discussed to death in other threads. Please, in small words, and without too many commas, explain to me why your OP would not have been better served as a post in one of the other existing threads discussing the subject.

And none of it involves rules like "It’s ok to talk about the Snarkpit as long as you don’t start an OP with it.

Because hijacking is against the rules in ATMB (and apparently GD) while opening what some people consider new threads on aspects of existing topics is legal.

Because every other thread involves changing definitions/reasons for why Seven was banned. If we can get a concrete answer “He was a jerk for doing A/B/C”, it then narrows the scope of the debate in all the others and prevents foolish answers like “He violated copyright laws” and “Well, even though though the rules state that it’s ok to talk about the snarkpit but not link to it, it’s also not ok to make the snarkpit the OP of a thread.” To paraphrase Liberal, let’s nail down our definitions before we debate.

If it were that obvious, you wouldn’t have four or five or however many threads trying to pin down the actual trigger for Seven’s banninating.

Yes, that’s right. And it’s rather the point. We have ten years of history as to what a jerk is, and now suddenly, it appears that a jerk is something else. THAT’s why people are confused.

Well, the rule used to be, don’t talk about the Snarkpit at all. That’s changed.

Well, we’ll see, shan’t we? I’m still unclear as to how I am hijacking your extraneous thread.

I’ll also note that closing duplicate threads has been a common occurence ever since I joined the board.

Well, that’s one explanation.

Another as likely explanation is that some folks haven’t learned to let things go when it becomes clear that more substantial questions won’t be forthcoming.

By refusing to play ball and have yet another discussion about it when there are other perfectly good threads to continue the discussion in?

:smiley:

OK, how do you, after ten years here, see that Seven differs from such as Collounsbury and andrewdt85?

:: shrug ::

That’s fine. You haven’t addressed my question about your first objection to my thread: that somehow this thread upset you because someone, somewhere had implied that silence equals support for Seven.

You also haven’t addressed that “Being a jerk” has never, to date, included stuff like “Mentioning the snarkpit in an OP is forbidden”.

Here’s a cushion for your forehead so you don’t injure yourself kowtowing.

Not to speak for Liberal, but Collounsbury was all over GD tossing around personal insults.

Andrewdt85 (as far as I know) started 30 or 40 useless threads to fight with mods. (I missed most of the Andrew thing)

Seven debated mods in about 5 threads. And generally debated points in depth.

I’m wondering what you see that they have in common.

Let’s put it in simple terms then. Have you done anything in this thread to answer the question posed in the OP or further the discussion? No, you haven’t. You don’t agree, fine, fine, here’s your cookie.

Why would people continue to push for answers? There are a zillion other boards on the internet but we all like this one, or at least want to like it. The reason there aren’t more substantial answers is because there aren’t any but people are still pushing because they sincerely want to make this a better place. You may not believe that but it’s true.

Really? You must not read my response to you then.

Nor must you have read my post where I mentioned that “being a jerk” cannot be codified. Or do you expect the rules to specifically mention every single one of the millions of possible ways in which a poster can be a jerk?

The funny thing about threads you don’t like is you can choose not to post in them. If no one is interested they fall off the page in short order. What are you doing to further the discussion here?