So what shortages are you personally seeing?

I went to three stores today, and the only fresh carrots were a couple bunches of organic at one store. The other 2 stores had none at all. I bought frozen for my stew, sigh.

Yes, the higher-priced boutique items are there, but the basic versions favored by us frugalitarians are not to be had.

I’ve been seeing a shortage of unsweet tea in bottles for well over a year now. I drink ice tea during the day at work. I tend to just go down to the McDonald’s since it was a $1 for 32 ounces. When I started working from home I decided to buy bottled tea, but it was $4 for 64 ounces. I decided to keep getting McDonald’s tea since it was cheaper.
At my SO’s house the McDonald’s is 15 minutes away so I would buy the bottles. But for quite some time no one has had bottled unsweet tea. There are always plenty of sweet tea, but rarely any unsweet. I buy a bottle whenever I see one, at home or by her house.
This past week I’ve come down to Myrtle Beach to visit my father. There’s no unsweet tea around here either. I went to three different shops and have found like two bottles. There’s still plenty of sweet tea, so either people really love unsweet tea, or they are not making as much, but I rarely see it and I tend to look when I go shopping so I can have some.

Distilled water is short again (a must-have for people who use CPAP machines, to keep the airflow humid). Usually get it from the grocery, occasionally must fall back to a Walgreens, for the past 2 weeks couldn’t find it at all.

I have heard that there is a bottleneck (pun intended) around beverage packaging facilities and materials. The liquids are out there, but the bottles and jugs are prioritized for highest-demand products. This is why the shelves seem to be cleared of everything except oddball flavors that were stocked before the shortage hit (and not the oddball flavor you’re looking for).

My gf was surprised to find a carrot shortage Saturday. She went to two stores and found just one bag.

Veggies have been very hit or miss. I’ve posted about broccoli here several times. About every 10 days there’s a full fresh selection, usually the shelf is half full with questionable specimens, and sometimes there’s just zero broccoli to be had at any price.

Publix is out of a lot of store brands too. Namely squeezable, portable applesauce containers, where I prefer the store brand because it’s just as good for half the price, and oyster crackers, where I prefer the store brand because it tastes exactly the same for half the price, and the premium brand comes in a flimsy clear plastic container instead of a sturdy cereal box. I don’t get those oyster crackers at all since I’ve grown accustomed to not having to mess around with closing the bag once I use it.

Now it’s cream cheese and gallon jugs of spring/drinking water vanishing from the shelves.

At Target this evening (Sacramento, CA), the cold/cough aisle was devastated. Lots of bare space with a few scattered stragglers. The usual suspects like cleaning supplies and paper goods looked OK. Did manage to snag the Alouette garlic & herb cheese spread I was there for, along with some Pamprin clone (pain relief aisle wasn’t exactly full, but had decent selection) and yogurt.

Winco had some bare spots in produce (stockers were working on that section when I was there, had to maneuver around one to nab some bananas), and cleaning supplies were a tad sparse.

@Ludovic, I assume you’re in the south? A Facebook friend who lives in South Carolina said she couldn’t find oyster crackers OR saltines, at several different stores. I replied that crackers are not exactly easy to make, unless you’re trying to make something special or unique and she replied, “Then I hope all those hoarders have their crackers go stale.”

We only buy toilet paper about once per year at the office and buy enough at that time to last a year. So when the pandemic hit, we had more than enough toilet paper to last – even enough for employees to take some home as long as they did so sparingly.

The only thing that would have been better would be to have a bidet – some people I know with bidets loved not having to worry about toilet paper.

I thought the hand cleanser situation was funny. I went to a WalMart at the start and saw that they were out of hand cleanser. At the same time, a shelf away there was a good stock of Hibiclens. A hand cleanser might kill some of what’s on your hand, but once it dries, it does no more. Hibiclens, if used properly, kills pretty much all bacteria, viruses, and fungi and keeps killing them for up to 24 hours. It can be dangerous if used wrongly, though. Just in case, though, I bought an extra plastic bottle of Hibiclens and kept it in the office kitchen.

I did get rather perturbed at the local hospital when I went in and they made me use hand cleanser which did little more than wash off the Hibiclens.

The Wagyu ground beef has barely changed prices the entire time, both at the store and by private delivery in bulk. Other meat prices did rise quite a bit but in some cases (hams) seem to be coming back down now and with normal availability.

About a year ago, I started to buy a Ford Transit Connect Van – the easiest vehicle to get in and out of the driver’s seat that I have tried and more headroom than I will ever need. I thought about buying one and decided to wait. If I could even get one now, it would cost a lot more than they cost a year ago.

Due to hearing about this issue from more than one person, I asked u-tube and learned that it is very simple to make. If your tap water is iffy like ours, use regular bottled water instead.

I took my Mazda to my dealer yesterday to get a roof rack put on it. While I was waiting, I thought I’d browse around the new cars to see what has changed in the 6 years since I bought mine. But I didn’t see a new car lot anywhere. There was a lot of construction going on nearby, so I thought maybe they had moved their lot, so went and asked an employee where the new cars were. He told me “We only have three.” I was quite literally shocked by that information. They had one each of the CX-3, CX-5 and CX-9 SUVs, and only one used car that I could see. He told me they expected a shipment of another 3-4 cars in about a month, but that wasn’t certain because of the lack of transport and the logjam at the ports. He was also nearly salivating over my 2016 CX-5 (it only has 12,000 miles).

Heck, my local dealership got excited about my '09 Grand Cherokee when I took it in for an oil change before Christmas.

Mom reported today that the meat case at Whole Foods was pretty sparse, and that they were completely out of chicken. An employee she knows fairly well told her that the produce department was wiped out last week.

Having previously reported this, I was pleasantly surprised to find it at Wegman’s when I went shopping on Tuesday. I picked up two jugs, which should last me for a couple of months.

I’ve been hearing folks talking about having problems finding distilled water and looked into making it. It seems like it is a fairly simple process. If you have crappy water like we do, I’d start with bottled water or just plan to distill it twice.

Around here, you can always get distilled water at a garage (gas station). Is this not the case in the US?

I’ve never seen distilled water for sale at a gas station.

It’s used to top up batteries and radiators and stuff like that. This link is to a hardware store because garages don’t generally have online stores.

I bought an new car last July. I checked today, and that dealership has none of that car in either 2022 or 2021 models. So then I entered its information in Kelly Blue Book. It told me my trade in value was about $3,000 more than I paid for it.