So what shortages are you personally seeing?

Mom reported to me tonight that she attempted to buy 2 pie crust at the local Weis market but the cashier informed her she was limited to 1. She did do a second order so 2 apple pies are on the menu for tomorrow’s dinner!

Of all the things to ration, and to ration at just one per customer! I wouldn’t question one each of eggs, milk, bread, etc., but pie crusts aren’t so essential.

Today I saw a bit of a shortage and a bit of foolish shelving - the cracker shelf was very picked over. I chose what I could and noticed that there was not one box of Saltines of any brand. Later on, walking past the ice cream, I saw a display of Saltines. Next to the ice cream.

Rice Krispies have been out of stock at our local stores since Christmas. They had the special Christmas Rice Krispies, but after that was over the regular kind never came back.

I was taken back by it but at least she got the crust. The pies were delicious BTW!

If pie crusts disappear again – I have become of fan of the “impossible no crust pie” recipes floating around. Here’s one:

(Instructions are to bake for 35-40 minutes. My oven took just under an hour for the center to “set”.)

If you can find flour and butter/lard/vegetable shortening, pie crusts are not super hard to make.

They may not always turn out perfectly; but they’re really unlikely to turn out inedible.

ETA: that’s butter or lard or vegetable shortening. You don’t need more than one. There are also pie crust recipes for using liquid vegetable oil, though I’m a bit dubious about those.

There are a lot of recipes that actually use more than one kind of fat in order to create the right combo of tender and flaky.

True. But if there are shortages and you can only find one kind, you can still make pie crust.

I’m trying to wrap my brain around a pumpkin bisquick “something”. What’s it like?

Here’s a link with pictures and a good description:

That actually looks good. thanks. Will try to make it tomorrow.

Were they in the freezer, or on a shelf next to the freezer?

Mom makes a Impossible Pumpkin pie and its fantastic. Im not a huge fan of crust (unless its apple or cherry pie) so Im especially happy when she goes in that direction.
I dont know how to explain it. The bottom kind of forms a slight “skin” like the top of cook and serve pudding will.

I would call it a cross between a pumpkin pudding and a pumpkin bread, leaning heavily towards the pudding. As someone mentioned before, it forms a skin against the pan.

Don’t mean to hijack the thread. Should we open a thread for “recipes you’ve turned to since Covid?”

Over xmas my gf was enthralled by recipes she read for easy cakes/cookies/whatevers utilizing spice cake mix and just one or two other ingredients.

They were all amazingly simple. They all sucked.

On a shelf by the freezer.

Today it was Pillsburys turn to vanish. 3 stores and not a single can of pop biscuits to be found. Bare shelves where there should be crescent rolls, etc. No cat fud, either.

Good thought!

I asked the grocery manager why Pillsbury refrigerated products were totally out, and she said there was a major strike at their factory. The same place also makes the store brand, so there was nothing on those shelves.