So what was your simple act of kindness today?

Thus calling it a simple act of kindness.

No one disagrees with the use of the word simple here. But it’s merely a simple act. Full stop. Neither kind, nor inconsiderate. A simple act.

I stayed off the roads today full of snow and ice … giving the right of way to others that feel the need to go somewhere in this winter weather. I know it’s not much, but I like to do my part (especially at 74 and my brakes don’t always know when to brake).

I don’t agree with the premise that a favorable act has to rise to a certain level before it can be called “kind”.
Hell, smiling at your waitress is kind, covering your mouth when you cough is kind, flushing the toilet is kind… Yes, these things are all expected norms in a polite society, but to be polite is to also be kind.

Earlier today my daughter and I were talking and I told her how I tell my students each day to spread kindness. I guess my kind act for the day so far, was I helped her finish a school assignment which I didn’t feel like doing, but I didn’t get grumpy or complain about it.

If you go around not smiling, coughing everywhere, not flushing the toilet and refusing to make change then everyone is going to think you’re an annoying ass. Living within a society, it is merely rational self interest not to do that. That’s why they’re calle expected norms.