So, what were my fellow Dopers doing when they heard The News (regarding FBI Search of Mar-A-Lago)?

What was I doing at 6:35PM Central Time? I was channel surfing, and saw the “Breaking News” banner at the bottom of the screen on CNN, and decided to be briefly skeptical until I saw another source. MSNBC was broadcasting the same thing, so out of morbid curiosity, I went to Fox News (AKA Fux Noize) and someone was talking to Steve Bannon via the phone, so I switched back to CNN.

I watched the developing story while sorting a bag of craft supplies I purchased at a rummage sale this weekend.

I was in the hammock and about to return to a novel when my lovely wife texted me. I came inside and turned on MSNBC. I left it on while I made a delightful dinner of lemon-scented rice, roasted maitake mushrooms with fresh rosemary, and steamed pea pods, which I ate before the television. I had a nectarine and a yellow plum, then walked around in the house for 10 minutes. I’m still watching MSNBC and plan to stop in 13 minutes and read my novel in the bathtub. It’s A Rogue’s Company, book 3 in the Allison Montclair Sparks and Bainbridge mystery series.

Since it’s the anniversary of Nixon’s resignation: at the time of his address, I was with my family at my grandparents’ house listening to it on the radio.

I was eating dinner, reading FB and Twitter (which is where I saw the news), reading the SDMB, and playing two or three computer games. (Not all at once, but rapidly switching back and forth.)

I was laying down after work, and was scrolling through news sites on my phone. There was a headline half-way down CNN.com’s page about Mar-A-Lago being raided. About ten minutes later, it was the lead story on TheHill.com, Politico.com and all the rest.

I was eating dinner. When I read the crawl on the screen and heard the reporting, I clapped and giggled gleefully like a kid at Christmas. :joy:

Nixon’s resignation announcement is also one of my earliest TV memories. I was 10 years old, and my sibs and I were sitting on the couch with our mother; Dad was probably at work. My mother started to cry, and said, “He was a good president.”

All I really knew was that Nixon did some things he shouldn’t have, and got in trouble. As one might expect, I found this far more interesting.

https://www.911memorial.org/taxonomy/term/1116

So, what was I doing when I heard about the Hudson River plane crash? I was off work that day and had just finished watching the documentary “Man On Wire” and turned on “All Things Considered”, where they were talking about the same thing that was also on CNN Breaking News.

I had just finished watching the local news, switched over to the Blue Jays-Orioles baseball game, and opened the SDMB. I saw the thread about the matter, and switched over to CNN, where it was being reported. For the next hour or so, I alternated between the ball game and CNN.

I was an avid young newspaper reader, so I knew what was going on with Nixon.

At this point, someone has to say it. CNN didn’t exist in 1974. This thread is about something that happened today, August 8, 2022.

I saw it on my Internet Tubes, the way one sees everything these days.

Browsing Reddit after my nightly shower. Eating chips, eyes wide open! :astonished:

Sorry, but lots of us don’t consider this (the FBI looking for classified documents at Trump’s place) as a big news story. Even you: if someone asks you at the end of this year what were the big news stories of the year I doubt if you will mention it.

I knew what was going on with Nixon thanks mainly to The National Lampoon. Still have the “missing white house tapes” LP by Nat Lamp.

Which was … ?

It may seem very obvious to you what you are referring to NOW, but in the past few days, Kansas has delivered a really heartening vote on women’s right to abortion, a pretty damn good bill to mitigate climate change and fight inflation has passed the US Senate, a fissure on the side of Fagradalsfjall has given us some awe-inspiring pyrotechnics…and I’m not even going to address developments on monkeypox, Alex Jones, or Trump.

If this thread stays active for more than a couple of days, and certainly if it is available in the archives to be potentially dredged up years later, I think it would be a service to current and future readers if you could specify which of many aspects of “The News” you are referring to.

Modnote: @nearwildheaven please be more descriptive in both title and the Op in the future.

I was reading this thread and the link provided.

It’s something that should have happened the second they knew he stole records from the White House. But at least people will hopefully stop saying that Garland is doing nothing.

Did you edit it? Thanks, because I was going to PM you and suggest that you do so.

Mar-a-Lago getting raided by the FBI?

I was reading here and MSNBC was on as background noise when I heard the report. I know I expressed my surprise in whatever thread I happened to be reading at the time, which was probably not the correct thread to use, but I was pretty surprised.

I still don’t think Trump will ever really suffer any consequences for any of his many, many crimes, but I wouldn’t mind being wrong about that!

I was reading the Dope in the wee hours. I had fallen asleep on the couch while watching Sandman, and the Beloved didn’t have the heart to wake me.

I can’t imagine that Trump is stupid enough to leave incriminating documents at Mar-a-Lago, but at the same time, I can’t imagine that Trump is not stupid enough to leave incriminating documents at Mar-a-Lago.

I can, but that’s mostly because I can believe he was stupid enough to take them in the first place.