So where IS Geronimo's Skull?

I recently happened across some glurge that, amongst other (deserved or no) Bush-bashing, claims his Grandfather, one Prescott Bush, stole Geronimo’s skull from his grave on a military base in 1918.

I looked it up on Google, and naturally, there’s hundreds of references, but damned few facts. I see an awful lot of “allegedlys” and “supposedlys” and “so the rumor says” and “from what we’ve been told”. Most of which seem to be little more than copies of each other.

The rare article, however, says that such a theft would be difficult, at best, as the grave is under granite-faced concrete and a large stone pyramid. The few sites that note this counter it by saying the stone was placed later.

Does anyone have The Straight Dope, or is this another unverifiable factoid that won’t be proven until somebody cracks open the grave at Ft. Sill or gets a hidden camera into The Tomb at Skull & Bones?

This could one for Uncle C.

Interesting. Snopes has nothing about this.

I bet he did it.

I checked the Dope archives, which mentioned things about the ultra-super-double-secret club that everybody knows about, Skull & Bones but nothing mentioned the skull itself.

The Google references say somebody supposedly submitted a letter, purporting to be from an S&B initiate, declaring they had the skull, and further supposedly the club apparently admitted it, but neither of these two presumably verifiable facts have any available verification that I can find.

I checked the Dope archives, which mentioned things about the ultra-super-double-secret club that everybody knows about, Skull & Bones but nothing mentioned the skull itself.

The Google references say somebody supposedly submitted a letter, purporting to be from an S&B initiate, declaring they had the skull, and further supposedly the club apparently admitted it, but neither of these two presumably verifiable facts have any available verification that I can find.

I didn’t take it and anyways, you can’t prove anything!

Perhaps this is one for Cecil.

It has all the good stuff- lots of rumor and innuendo, secret societies, famous people, and apparently no easy answer.

Should I submit it somehow, or just wait for a mod to wander by and flag it for Zotti’s attention?

Submit it. The likelyhood that Ed Zotti will ever notice this thread is pretty small.

I can give you a few clues and maybe someone can contact one of the principles (unless he has died under mysterious circumstances.)
Geronimo was buried at Fort Sill Oklahoma, in 1909.
Was Prescott Bush really assigned to that post on or about 1918? along with Ellery James and Neil Mallon, the other two men mentioned as part of the tomb-raiding party.

Was there an Army artillery training school there?

Is or was Ned Anderson the chairman of the San Carlos Apache tribe in Arizona?
Is Endicott Peabody Davidson an Attorney, and does/did he represent the Russell Trust Association?

There are a number of other facts that can be substantiated that may lend credence to the story.

Spence

That’s a good start!

Spence

Hey WillCross01,
How about asking him if there is anyone on the post that can look through some archives and find out if Prescott Bush’s name appears on any lists in the years around 1918? They usually have some group pictures too. It would be very cool to get a copy of that.

Spence

Potential skullduggery?

:smiley:

Well Mr. Jorgensen, as disappointed as I was in your HSM replies, I’m glad you’ve come here in search of the Truth, in whatever form it may be.

I also suggest reading the SDMB rules. There’s a place for the various types of arguments (Politics typically goes in Great Debates.)

I didn’t know that this was a question of politics. I thought it was a quest to determine facts related to a claim. That is my focus always.

Spence

I’m sorry, I wasn’t clear. Yes, this particular inquiry belongs here, though if I knew how, I’d submit it for a full article by Cecil.

The original post which spawned this one, over at the HSM board, however, was decidely and vehemently political, among other things heavily insinuating that a petty crime committed eighty-five years ago was largely indicative of the current President’s habits in particular, and those of Republicans in general.

I’m sorry you felt that way. I won’t give you my full reply in this thread because it doesn’t pertain to the topic. Do you have anything to say on the thread subject or are you trying to give the impression that I am biased because I wrote about the Prescott Bush financing of the Nazi’s war machine, and providing war material, and earlier in his life, grave robbing? Was that the first time in your life you had learned about these things? I’ll bet you yelled “Geronimo” a thousand times when you were a kid out playing, and you didn’t know Geronimo’s actual head was being used in rituals a couple of times a week at Yale University. I read that they have a whole collection of famous skulls, but who knows?
You can bet someone does.

Spence