So which morons came up with predictive text?

And another thing (missed the edit window). Who decided how many key presses it would allow before stopping further entry and making you spell out a word? Why is numbstllslboi fine, but one more keypress too much? Why will it let me type in olptlmutuligllabodechsstuicssiss but not one letter more? And yet it won’t let me get as far as megy? It just gets weirder.

You are all very patient to bother even trying to make sense of it! Just about the first thing I wanted to do with mine was to wok out how to ditch the predictive text, and my life is easier. Possibly less amusing, though. :smiley:

I predict they were greeting a Jamaican friend, then telling them about the upcoming ABC special on Ancient Rome.

I’ve got to say you’ve found a weak point here. Mine gives up after ‘numb’. Not impressive.

Booo hiss. Mine was properly assembled in the proper way in a Chinese sweatshop (or something). The battery impressively says ‘made in Korea, finished in China’, which I presume means ‘we stuck the label on’.

My guess would be that “km” for kilometer would be common enough to warrant its having priority.

I have the same thing…and it always wants to change ‘but’ or ‘butt’ to ‘buttsex’… :smack:

Quite sure. My guess is that I accidentally added “G” to my dictionary at some point, cause I swear it didn’t always do that. And if it’s possible to delete words from my dictionary, I don’t know how to do it yet.

My thoughts exactly.

Ha! Mine won’t allow any dirty words whatsoever - I have to do the punch-the-keys-a-billion-times thing.

And, as for the OP, really I think your problem is that you speak the wrong kind of English. Americans, who invent useful things like cellular phones instead of tea spoons, don’t say “mum” unless we’re talking about flowers. We don’t go out for a pint, although we might indeed have a shot or two. And most of us don’t have “grans”. I’m sure “mom”, “beer”, and “grandma” (although we all call our grandmothers something different, I think) would come up just fine. Neener, neener, neener.

Annoying as dual, isn’t it.

Um, I’m pretty sure that the cellphones we know and love were primarily developed in Europe, mostly by those crafty Scandinavians. Although Googling reveals that T9, the most common predictive text system, was developed by Tegic Communcations, a Seattle based company. Strange, then, that frappe is not in the dictionary. :wink:

Predictive text is book and pleases of.

My phone ain’t English and it did the same thing, until I finally figured out how to switch that off.

It must have been some sort of Magnificent Service Improvement from Telefónica: when I bought it it was normal, then one day it started insisting that I choose from lists of words. I didn’t have the option to write - just choose from the very-limited list. It took about one hour of investigating the menus to find out where the hell that option was and switch it off. My brother says it’s a good thing everybody in his company has the same model (or very close ones at least): one of the technical architects figured hers out and did everybody’s.

I am honestly shocked to find out that people actually use predictive text. Like Celyn, I turned mine off as soon as I got my phone. It is very possibly the least useful “tool” ever invented. Well, that and the way MS Word always wants me to make lists THEIR way instead of MY way. Fuckers, if I wanted to indent nesting lists, I’d do it my own fucking self!

Fucking Word.

How can something that saves you time not be beneficial?
As an example I typed in
“How many key presses” using predictive text and it took me 19 key presses.
The same words without predictive text took 43 key presses.
I know which one I prefer.

Tools - AutoCorrect Options - AutoFormat As You Type - Automatic Bulleted Lists