So, why vote for Clinton?

None of these lists of Clinton’s achievements can match the lists of achievements of Kim Jong Un, Vladimir Putin, or Syria’s Assad or Iran’s Ayatollah Khamenei. Why, the people of North Korea sing hymns about Kim’s achievements, they are so impressive!

In general, you really do have to wield absolute power in order to amass a truly extraordinary list of achievements; none of this ‘working with others’ stuff or sharing of credit.

Yeah, she’s been in sole charge of the USA for 30 years; you’d think she’d have accomplished more, what with her dictatorial power over every aspect of the economy, foreign policy, and infrastructure!

Back during the primaries there was another poster, like the OP, from the right who also had problems realizing why one can vote for Clinton:

[snip]

As I replied then:

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-03-24/make-no-mistake-hillary-clinton-loves-obamacare

I said then that based on that, I have to say she will get my vote. And even more nowadays as Trump is just bigotry and ignorance of science personified.

(underline added)

Why elect a proven liar? Because she is good at it. She excels at it. That is an accomplishment.

Hillary was smart enough to destroy 30,000 emails AFTER receiving a subpoena for her records. She’s got that going for her. I’m sure that the people who are sick and tired of the investigations into Hillary’s actions will appreciate Hillary’s future use of Presidential Executive Privilege. Everything a President Hillary does in office will be legal and, of course, none of the public’s business.

She’s qualified and experienced. She’s as honest as any other politician, and more honest than her opponent. She won’t change much in 4 or 8 years, and the country will have a chance to elect someone better. If Trump is elected, I can’t say this is true.

I’m with her. I guess. Oh way, Trump is her opponent. I’m with her!

Even this is moot as everyone should realize that if Hillary attempts that email thing during office that she will suffer the same fate as Nixon.

Not likely as all the eyes of the Republicans and even the government offices will keep an eye on her and with new rules.

By contrast Trump is a colossal minefield of conflict of interests and disregard for rules and regulations. And that is just for the items that we are aware of, there are many more being found.

What exactly do you consider to be an “achievement” of the type you expect in a candidate for office?

What achievements have ANY past presidents had before being elected - other than having been elected to other offices, gaining the respect of various groups, and developing a certain reputation?

if your post starts off by asking what a 2-term senator and Sec. of State has accomplished then you aren’t asking a serious questions.

The nature of the nation? Whaddya mean, white people who speak English?

Because that’s not the nature of the nation I see. I see that we’re a nation of immigrants. I see that our best-loved national symbol, the Statue of Liberty, is explicitly dedicated to welcoming immigrants. I see that we’re built by a polyglot collection of folks who leave everything behind to come here and make a new life for themselves. I see new immigrants as preserving our nation’s nature.

If you really need to know what the point of borders is if not to protect the “nature of the nation,” lemme know, but I suspect that question was meant rhetorically and is a worthless question.

If Hillary shines a halo over her head every day and never steps out of line, she’ll face half a dozen articles of impeachment before she’s finished with the oath of office.

Which is another reason to vote for her: no nectar is as sweet as the tears of petulant Tea-Partiers :).

Perhaps the OP should tell us which current Presidential candidates have achieved more than Ms Clinton. (You may count nominees from the minor parties–although they really do not count in the US system.) Or–how about the also-rans who didn’t get nominated this time? In either party.

Start listing* their* achievements, please. Let’s see whether she measures up.

I don’t feel compelled to sell someone on a particular candidate; it’s everyone’s civic duty to understand the issues and make the best decision based on the likely consequences of that outcome of the election. There are no do-overs. We can’t unlike the candidates and upload someone else. People naively want an agent of “change” that they’re simply not going to get no matter who they elect – that’s not really the fault of the system. The system works fine when people are educated and hold congress, governors, and legislatures accountable on their end instead of waiting every four years to vote for some superman.

As someone who would be voting for Johnson if a non-crazy republican was running (that is, I’m only voting for Hillary to oppose a Trump victory), I think the OP is absurd. She has been a successful establishment politician for a long time, winning numerous major elections and filling appointed positions that require significant work and ability (Secretary of State is not just an honorary position). I don’t like her because she’s a corrupt established Democrat who’s real loyalty is to big money and not to any of the positions she espouses, but to claim that she has no accomplishments and is just riding Bill Clinton’s coattails has no basis in reality.

Actually, if she has been successfully riding the coattails of a president who ended his run with significant scandal for the past two decades, that in itself would be a pretty significant accomplishment. Turning the small “I’m also named Clinton” boost into two decades of successful national scale elections and appointments would be no mean feat!

adaher, interestingly enough, gives a damn good summary.

Here was my own somewhat similar post from 2008.

SCHIP and the Iran deal are obvious ones. Conservatives don’t like them them of course, but those are the sorts of things her supporters like to see.

You can get away with it if you delete millions.

Another reason to vote for Hillary: Supreme Court. I’d truly hate to see what a Trump SCOTUS would make the country look like for the next 20-40 years.

God. Thank you. This is the point I came into this thread to make. I don’t recall any male candidate being grilled about what their “achievements” were when they ran for office. Not Obama, not Romney, not McCain, not Kerry, not Gore – and certainly not Bush. I often wished they were, but they weren’t. Makes me wonder why Hillary’s “achievements” are so important, when no one else’s were.

That said, her achievements over a 30-year career in public service have been numerous, as indicated by others in this thread. And of course it’s worth remembering that she has never been solely in charge. I find it odd that she is held solely responsible for the missteps of the Obama administration, few though they were in my opinion, but is simultaneously given no credit for what she did accomplish on her own steam within the framework of the offices she held.

She is a lot better than this Republican presidential candidate who was a one-term congressman and a failed senatorial candidate.

You know, Abraham Lincoln.

I just momentarily considered how much of a difference this would have made in economic inequality and overall social fairness and now I’m sad.

So thanks!

If you had been here longer I’d check up on your economic predictions in 2009. Clinton’s economic policies seem similar to Obama’s - you know, the ones that have cut unemployment, helped the stock market to soar, finally raise wages on the lower end (seemingly due to MW increases) and other horrors. Compare to 8 years of Republican economic policy.
Manufacturing is actually stronger in the US now. Manufacturing jobs aren’t, but if you think that if companies were forced to bring manufacturing back they wouldn’t automate up the wazoo you are nuts. Some companies don’t automate in the Far East because workers are cheaper than machines there. We might have an equal number of jobs here if we paid a few bucks a day in wages. Is that what you want?

If she were running for sysadmin this would be a real concern. At least she can accept science. I don’t think Trump even does email.

What policy caused off-shoring? Many years ago a lot of industry moved from the north to the south because wages were cheaper there, and there were anti-union laws. The same jobs moved to China because wages were cheaper there and laws protecting workers were even weaker or nonexistent. Jobs moved under Bush also. He wasn’t responsible.

Illegal immigration happens because the US is more attractive than other countries. Guess those who risk their lives to come don’t think we are a hellhole after all. Pretty much the same reason my great grandfathers came. Legally then, but it was much easier 130 years ago.

A bunch of engineers at my old job went back to India, where we have a design center. They took a 50% pay cut but I suspect they are relatively better off. It is one world now, like it or not. Deal with it.