So you got a date...

I’d go for the Slinky. For Fun It’s A Wonderful Toy, or so I hear. But, stay away from the plastic Slinkys, they’re just for toddlers. If you can find the miniature metal Slinky, now that’s a great gift. I gave one to every member of my crew last Christmas. Fun was had.

Also, if you end up in one of those awkward silences, well, at least you have a toy.

Good luck on your date! ~S

Better than pez.
And they say romance is dead.

Pez are these little plastic candy dispensers, a little bit larger than your typical lighter. The base is generally an upright rectangle, with a spring loaded insert inside. You load little Pez candies into the base. The best part is the Pez topper - usually some kind of head, but not always, ie Spiderman’s head, or Bart Simpson or a flower, what have you. You flip the topper back, and a little Pez pops forward slightly.

That description does them no justice.

Oh Jesus, leave it up to that show to ruin a good thing for the rest of us. I swear I’d never heard of that, devilsknew, but you’re right… If she’s seen it then it definitely loses some of its weight. I’d say go for the Slinky instead.

devilsknew, you have to keep us posted and let us know what you tried and how it went! :smiley:

Oh, and my two cents… no gifts until the 2nd or 3rd date. Just make sure to compliment her, in some way. That’s a greater gift than anything material.

…Or, you could try a handmade sock monkey? ;j ;j

I could make a sock puppet and give it to her …maybe answer all of her questions as Mr. Hand…

:smiley:
A sock monkey would be great, though.
Wish I could do macrame’.

The only appropriate thing to give on a first date from my less than limited experience is flowers. I’d stay away from roses. Carnations or posies are more appropos.

Of course, you could go against tradition and bring her some edible underwear.

I disagree. If she has seen the episode, then

1. she will get the joke

2. you will have a starting place for conversation

3. hack her to death with a kitchen knife

4. she might even know that Oz gave Willow the “Witch” Pez dispenser after they had been dating for quite a while, not on their first date! And Willow was bummed because they didn’t make a “Werewolf” Pez dispenser so she could reciprocate. (Lover’s Walk, Season Three)

Nah. How about a little box of Gummy Boobs candy? Now *that’s * classy. :wink:

There is, indeed. Giant sized, even. I received one as a gift from my co-workers on my last birthday, and it sits on my desk. They even filled it with packages of pez. The sour apple is my favorite. It ranks up there with the best gifts I’ve ever gotten. :cool:

devilsknew, when does this date take place, anyway? And, where are you taking her?

You mean you could give UP a Slinky? Willingly? Without major threats? What willpower! :eek:

No one I’ve ever met has willingly put down a Slinky. I don’t care what age they are. I had to get mean in the Navy to get my Slinky back. (My sister’s roommate gave it to me, and it sorta followed me about ever since.)

You don’t happen to have been continually walking down stairs since, have you?

You suck. No wonder I never get a second date. Guys like you is why.
Peace,
mangeorge

If you and she have a good sense of humor give her a packet of flower seeds and tell her you brought her flowers.

Ok Maureen and all of the others that might be interested, I spoke to her tonight and the date is scheduled for tomorrow night, we are meeting for dinner at a casual mexican restaurant familiar to both of us (And NO- it’s Not Chi-Chi’s!! :smiley: ). I also made the caveat that if she wanted to we could go see some live music at a bar afterwards ("…if she felt like it, and we could see how dinner went."). I was nervous talking to her on the phone and kind of felt like I got too serious and personal on the phone, it left me with a bad feeling about my first verbal impression and general conversational skills. I am now really starting to think seriously about the Pez idea, I know I could pull it off and I want to make a light and funny personal impression to foil tonight’s semi-disastrous conversation.
Oh, I told her I was crazy too, so I got that out of the way, and she still wants to meet me. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the moral support and suggestions, I’ll let you all know.

Peace and Chickengrease
;j Griebenes

See what I mean! You just mention evil clowns and some people just freak.
Sorry about that ggurl See ya ggot me stuttering now. So, h-how you doing.
better today I hope :wink:

damnit why can’t we have an evil clown smiley…now would’ve been the perfect time. ;j try highlighting the little jewish guy, methinks he’ll turn evil

Never hack your date to death with a kitchen knife when a simple “Hi, Opal!” will do.

See there A/M that’s sound advice. Although the use of absolute phrases here at the SDMB will usually wind up in a debate. I’m sure if we thought about it hard enough we could come up with a scenario where it might actually be better to hack your date up instead of simply saying “Hi Opal”. :wink:

Well, I wouldn’t worry too much about the Buffy connection. I’ve actually seen that Buffy episode about 20 times or so, but I didn’t really think about it until you guys mentioned it, since I was caught up in the admiration of the Pez idea. And if I’d get a Pez dispenser I don’t think the first thing to pop into my mind would be: “Is he a werewolf or what?”

It’s a way cool gift, I think, even better than flowers, because as much as I like flowers, they’re always a bit awkward to receive on a date where you’re out somewhere. You always have to find a place to put them, everybody around always notices you’re on a date cause you have this bunch of flowers in a glass on your table and whatnot. A Pez dispenser is easily stowed and also easily taken out to show to your girlfriends afterwards: “See what gift I got on my date”, especially if it’s somewhat tailored to her personality.

:eek: