"Soggy" biscuits

Can some biscuits induce sogginess in others ?

I keep my bisuits in an air-tight tin. They keep pretty well however a couple of times recently I have found that biscuits of type A which were keeping nice and crspy went soft overnight when I added biscuit type B to the tin.

The ‘sogger’ (type B) and the ‘soggee’ (type A) were different in both cases.

Chance ? or something more sinister ? Are their types of biscuits which should never be stored together ? Has anyone else ever suffered from this or am I imagining it all ? :dubious:

Your thread title is gonna attract a lot of views. :slight_smile:

Even after starting a thread on the subject, I still can’t make decent biscuits, so don’t ask me.

But what’s the difference between type A and type B biscuits?

It is possible that one kind has a level of inherent moistness that is unfavorable to the other kind.

Also, certain ingredients (like sugar sprinkled on top) have the property of attracting water. So, I think some kinds of cookies (biscuits) would get soggy when placed with any other kind other than themselves.

Have you tried putting a piece of dry bread in with the biscuits to absorb any excess dampness?

Only from Public School Boys surely ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Well Phatlewt the first time I can’t remember what the biscuist were that went soft but it happened after I’d put some Farley’s Rusks (a teething cookie) in with them. The second time they were some thin Italian biscotti - the culprit will be more difficult to identify as a variety went into the tin at the same time. Thanks for the dry bread tip - I’ll certainly give it a go.

For American readers:

British “biscuit” = American “cookie”

Now that our GQ people have had a go at it, let’s give the Cafe Society people a chance. I’ll move this thread for you.

We generally tend to move threads to Cafe that concern cooking.

samclem GQ moderator

It sure got me to look.

I’m definitely a public school kid. I’ve never heard the term outside of junior high. Ye gods, there’s definitely going to be a few crossed wires.

So…uhm…what’s a ‘soggy biscuit’, that’s so funny?

[Runs away]

Here ya go. Be prepared to be grossed out. Linky.

British “digestive biscuit” = American “Graham cracker”

Ah. I’ve heard that refered to as “sugar cookie” in my neck of the woods, although I’ve never actually heard of anyone playing this game.

Yes. In fact, when my mother used to make cookies, and they would start to get a bit stale and dry after a few days, she would throw a slice of bread into the cookie jar to reinvigorate the cookies.

A “Brisker” will solve the problem of soggy biscuits, cookies, and/or crackers. Whoever and wherever you are.

The “Brisker” is a metal storage box with front door like an oven and the whole thing is like a very low temperature oven.
It has a low wattage heater in the bottom and it keeps the interior a few degrees above the outside temperature.
This drives moisture out of the said biscuits, cookies, and/or crackers.
Keeps them crisp, and munchy crunchy!