Solicitation for help: Scottish Gaelic

It’s broad (non-palatalised), because the vowel after it, “a” is broad. The intervening “r” doesn’t matter. “gh” is just the voiced version of “ch”.

And you’re exactly right about the “d” in “caidil” being palatalised. So “kadjil” is a bit of an exaggeration - it’s actually “kad’il”; or as Dr Drake says in Scottish “kat’il”, where the ’ indicates palatalisation.

Your suggested pronunciation looks okay, but I think maybe it should be /is/ rather than /ish/ and maybe /fottal/ rather than /fatal/. /fok/ for “phoig” looks wrong; it would be /foge/ in Irish. I don’t know about the vowel sounds in “graidh”, “traith” and “baigh”. In Irish somewhere between /aw/ and /oy/.

Aside: Dia duit a Ghadaí - ní Gaeilgeoir mise ach tá beagán Gaeilge agamsa freisin.

The /k/ sound I’m going for is a soft, unaspirated one, which would sound very much like /g/, so I suspect we largely agree on that sound. I know is is /is/ in Irish, but I wasn’t sure about Scottish. Strictly speaking, it’s a slender “s”, which would be /sh/. That’s something we’ll have to figure out somewhere along the line.

All right. Verse 3, with my attempt at it.

Eala rid’ thaobh,
Is roin os do chionn
Lacha Mhoire ‘sa’ cheol
'Scha’n fhaobhar mo bhrhònag

“Ehla reet’ hoov
ees [eesh] ron os do chyon
Lacha voreh sa chyol
Schan oovar mo vronak”

The “oo” sound in thaobh and fhaobhar should, I believe, be the short “oo” found in “foot”, not the long “oo” of “food”.

I don’t think AO should ever be “oo,” but there’s a tremendous variety between dialects. IMO you’re better off with “ee” in ScGaelic, even in a broad context. “Is” is like Irish, spelled slender but really broad. I’d say “oss duh hyonn,” with h as in English “hue” in slender position. Same with cheol: “hyole.”

I’m going off the wikipedia article for vowel sounds; I’m not sure how accurate that is. Are you saying that the “ao” should be “ee”?

The “ch” sound I intended for chioll and cheol is the forward one (voiceless palatal fricative/German ichlaut), not the velar fricative. I’d use IPA to make my intentions a little clearer, but I don’t know how to code it.

Well, not really “ee,” but that’s closer than “oo” in English. Try this site http://www.akerbeltz.org/fuaimean/fuaimean.htm, which is both clear and comprehensive.

According to that site:

*There are two other long vowels in Scottish Gaelic. The first is spelled ao and is pronounced like long ù but with the lips spread (i.e. not rounded).

Long ao
like <oo> in <cool> but with spread lips [ɯː]*

That’s more or less what I was going for.

Great site by the way. That really clears a lot of things up. I’m going to go back through my transcription and see what changes I need to make. Thanks.