Some page layouts messed up in Firefox

My sister may have accidentally changed some settings when she was on my computer this weekend, or maybe an update cocked something up, I don’t know. All I know is my Washington Post homepage now looks like this when it should look like this–strangely, when I click on article links, those pages look fine. Wikipedia also looks wrong, with all the links that should be in the sidebar showing up down at the bottom, so it’s something wrong with how it’s handling columns or whatever is supposed to be making it look right. Anybody got any idea what might be going on and how to fix it?

I’m using Firefox 3.0.3 with the following add-ons (and I know a couple of these were updated within the last couple days but damned if I can remember which ones):
Adblock Plus
AVG Safe Search
BugMeNot
Download Statusbar
El Jay Icon Maker
Forecastfox
Gmail Manager
Greasemonkey
IE View
Plain Text to Link
Session Manager
Stop Autoplay
Tab Mix Plus

Seems like CSS is turned off. I would disable Greasemonkey and see if that helps (you can easily disable and enable add-ons).

Judging from the first screenshot, it looks like the problem may be stylesheet related. That type of problem can contribute to weird layouts, much like the one you’re seeing.

(For example: in the first screenshot, notice the “Search” text, next to the search box, and compare it with the same text in the second screenshot. It looks like this text is not getting properly styled.)

The first thing I would suggest trying is loading a non-cached version of the page, by holding down the SHIFT key and refreshing the page. This forces the browser to get the latest copies of all stylesheets referenced by the page (as well as images, etc.).

If that doesn’t fix the problem, then I’d guess something else is tripping the styles up. (Maybe an addon, or maybe something else… we’ll see if the cache clearing works first, though.)

Whew, that did the trick. I feel a little silly for not thinking of that myself, but the goofy layout persisted through a bunch of refreshes, so it didn’t occur to me. I’m glad it turned out to be a simple fix; thanks!

Me too. :slight_smile:

Why aren’t you running NoScript?

I consider that, along with AdBlock, the most important FireFox add-ons.

I tried it, but found it to be more of an annoyance than it was worth for me, given the number of sites that require scripts of some kind to work. I’ve never had a single problem from not having it.