Something mysterious that happened you could never explain how or why

When my daughter was very young and we were at a shopping mall together (my daughter, my wife, and I), I volunteered to watch her while my wife shopped. We went to the large area that was used as a playroom. It was a store they hadn’t been able to rent, into which they piled a lot of random play equipment. Our daughter spent a lot of time ignoring this stuff, running around in circles and interacting with the other kids there. I sat on the side and read my book. Another parent sitting and reading was nearby.

I had the overwhelming feeling that this person was an Author. There was absolutely nothing that suggested this, aside (arguably) from the fact that she was reading a book. It’s not as if she was carrying writing materials or a stack of bookmarks or was wearing a large blinking neon sign that read “I Am An Author”. She could’ve been a bored mom reading her romance novel while her kid played with possibly dangerous broken playground materials and with other kids.

But I was so convinced that she was an author that I went over and asked her if she was. and it turned out that I was right. She was the author of several paperback mysteries. My own first book hadn’t yet come out, so we ended up talking for quite a long time until my wife returned. We became acquaintances, and went out to dinner, and we see each other at local conventions. When my book finally came out I gave her a copy, She’s gone on to write two more series of mysteries.

But I have absolutely no idea how I became so completely sure that she was a published author.

You could have seen her photo somewhere, and not remembered that you had.

Nope. I had never heard of her before that meeting. I still can’t recall seeing her photo anywhere.

I know divining has been debunked thoroughly. But I can’t think of any reasonable explanation for my experience.

It was about 20 years ago. I was at my friend Denny’s house playing cards. Jim, who’s always been a kook, showed up and announced he brought his diviner kit. It was basically two coathangers straightened out and the ends bent in at right angles, like really long Ls. He demonstrated using them by walking across Denny’s front yard. When he got to the middle, the rods crossed. He said it was the water line going from Denny’s house to the street main.

A couple other people tried them, and the rods crossed. I tried it myself. I held them so loosely, they swung freely and flopped around and didn’t cross. Jim told me to hold them with just a little more grip and point them straight forward. This time they crossed when I got to the water line. It felt like magnets attracted them. I didn’t turn my wrists or tilt them. The rods crossed on their own. I tried it again from the other side of the yard and they crossed. They just snapped together. Even if I was trying to fake it, I wouldn’t have been able to cross the rods so quickly and precisely.

I tried recreating the experience on my own later, but the rods didn’t cross. It was a once in a lifetime experience for me and I can’t explain how or why it worked.

I once lived in a “garden level” apartment – basically a basement apartment where the windows were even with the ground outside. (My view out the front window was the tires of cars in the lot.)

I would frequently have dreams that just sounded like a crowded, echoey room with lots of voices – not screaming or anything, just indistinct talk, sort of like what you’d hear if there were a bunch of people in the next room talking. I’d sometimes wake up in fear that there were people in the room with me, but once I was awake it was totally silent.

I later found out that my neighborhood had been the site of an active coal mine for several decades. I never verified it, but it’s not hard to imagine my apartment being where a tunnel used to run.

I’ve never had dreams like that anywhere else.

Actually, it was an anecdote published in a book. I’d never heard of the pastor before reading the book.

But yes, in a thread meant for Doper-personal anecdotes, I shouldn’t have posted someone else’s story.

It must be two years now since this happened; I posted about it here the day after it occured.

One evening I heard a loud sound, kind of like the peal of a bell but it was continuous, and I went out to my backyard to check it out. Once outside it was almost deafening. I couldn’t tell where it was coming from - it was just that loud that it seemed to be coming from everywhere, if that makes sense. I went to my front yard expecting other neighbors to be out investigating but there was no one. I walked down the street a little way and still I didn’t see anyone else. Then I was thinking maybe I had some weird case of tinitus or was having a stroke or…something. I went back inside and the noise was lower when I closed the door, so that seemed to indicate there was an actual sound coming from somewhere(other than inside my own head). I considered calling 911 but I kind of foolish. I wouldn’t say I was panicked exactly but yeah, I was kind of freaked and definitely perplexed.

The next day at work I asked a friend who lives about a half mile away and usually can hear the same stuff as I do, i.e sirens, fireworks, whatever, and she didn’t hear it. After I posted here someone suggested it might have been testing or something going on at the nearby airforce base. I looked online for any possible explanation and found nothing. I assure you I was not dreaming or under the influence of any substance. I’d still welcome any plausible explanations or educated guesses.

I don’t believe in the concept “supernatural.” I believe in what I’d call a *spectrum of understanding." At one end is stuff we don’t understand according to what we have discovered (so far) about how this physical world operates. At the other end is stuff we have discovered the physical laws for. The place of understanding in various disciplines–medicine, physics, chemistry, biology, astrophysics, psychology–has been moving over time and is still moving as we discover more of the workings of this world. There is still stuff that makes no sense according to what we know so far. Someday it will make sense, or might, or might not.

I do not have a strong drive to explain away or find current reasons for stuff that seems supernatural. Nor do I have a strong drive to debunk, scorn, make fun of, insult, laugh at, or stumble over my own feet trying to prove anything about what people have experienced that they can’t explain. I like stories like these, and I can easily and comfortably live with mystery,

Carry on.

I’ve posted this before.

Something a bit eerie that happened to me.

We’ve had boxers since 2003. The first boxer puppy was brought home by our son right after he graduated high school. He used his grad party money to buy the dog. After that our family was smitten with boxers. Since that first puppy, we’ve had 2 more boxers plus a boxer mix.

Back story - As most of you know, my son died 4+ years ago from cancer. He and I were very close.

A couple of weeks ago I was on the website The Grommet. They offer unique-type gifts. I clicked on the tab titled “Gifts for Pet Owners”. They had some really cute dog breed silver necklaces. Some were whole the whole body of the dog with a small heart cut into it and another style was the head of the dog with a small heart cut into it. I thought to myself that I wouldn’t mind having a boxer necklace, though I never did order one.

Two days later, I was Swiffering under the TV cabinet. I saw something that looked like a piece of tin foil way in the back next to the wall. My first thought was that it was a candy wrapper that one of the little kids dropped and then ended up finding its way under there. I used the mop to pull it out. I picked it up and turned it over…It was a silver boxer necklace charm…with a heart cutout!!! I never saw it before, I know I never had one otherwise when I spotted them online it would have made me think about one I had. I also had cleaned under there a couple of weeks ago and never noticed it. I can’t think of anyone that would have been in my house that would have been wearing a boxer necklace. No one that I know has a boxer AND if I had seen someone wearing one, I would have commented on it for sure, exclaiming that I wish I had one.

So where did it come from? I choose to think that my son sent it. Crazy? Maybe, but it makes me feel good. And I have no other explanation.

I just remembered one.

In 2008 I met a guy (both of us late 50s in age) and we became very close friends and loved each other a lot. We were soulmates at an emotional/intellectual level (though never physically intimate-- no he wasn’t gay-- he was recently and bitterly divorced). We spent lots of time together and could talk endlessly on any subject. He had chronic health issues from birth and eventually died in June 2018 at age 67.

Back in 2013 I had just gotten a new BlackBerry (my fourth one, a BB Classic) and had never used the video function. I wanted to try it out. This friend and I were in a restaurant and I pointed the camera at him and said, “Say something wise,” to which he wittily :roll_eyes: replied, “Something wise.” I replied, “Say something wiser,” and he replied, “Oh much wiser.” The whole video is about eight seconds long.

It has been my practice over the years to tell people, after you die, please don’t try to contact me. I don’t want blinking lights, phone calls with no one on the other end, pennies lying in odd places. I don’t want to wake up and see you standing at the foot of my bed. I don’t want to hear knocking or footsteps or anything like that. When you get over there, stay over there.

But in his last month while he was in hospice, I told my friend, “In your case I’ll make an exception. If you can find a way to contact me, please do. Just don’t scare me.” He said, “Oh, I would never scare you.” BTW he was Jewish (like me) but agnostic bordering on atheist. If there was a God (which he doubted), my friend couldn’t forgive him for the Holocaust where he had lost family members. Anyway, he died one Friday night and I was with him, holding his hand as he drew his last breath. Life went on. I missed him and still do.

Eventually I got this latest BlackBerry (my fifth one, a KEY2) and transferred everything from previous phones onto it. That means that pictures are stored in a hodgepodge of folders and mishmash non-system that makes it very hard for me to find anything. The eight-second video of him was the only video I had ever taken on any phone, but if you asked me to find it on my new phone, I wouldn’t have known right off the bat how or where. I would have had to poke around and go into various folders and whatnot. I haven’t been able to fathom the system by which the phone stores pictures. [No need to tell me how to sort my pictures, as that is not the point of my story.]

At night I always plug my phone into the charger next to my bed. I silence the ringer but leave it on the home screen, which is what always pops up when I wake the phone in the morning. I’m not on any social media, so the first thing I usually do is check the weather.

Fast forward to May 2021 and my friend has been gone almost three years. One morning I wake up, reach for the phone to wake it, and there is my friend’s face staring up at me from the phone. It’s the video, right there on the screen in front of me. It was very disorienting, as I had not looked at the video for years and didn’t even know how to find it on the phone. It took me a few seconds to realize what I was looking at, his face staring up at me. All I have to do is touch it and it starts to play, “Say something wise,” etc.

How did the video migrate to that place? I live alone. Even if a cat had walked on the phone, how did THAT video appear where I would see it when I woke my phone?

I don’t know.

I’ve posted this before on the boards but I can’t find it, so I guess I’ll share it again.

My grandfather owned a ~3000 acre wheat farm in northern Montana. He died in 1987 and, for reasons I don’t really understand, my parents decided to uproot from Oregon and go to Montana to help run the farm until a buyer could be found. I was 6 years old.

The farm was on the plains just south of the Canadian border. The land is very flat. However, a small coulee (a creek making a shallow ravine) ran through the property north to south. The farmhouse was on the far western side of the property.

One night in October my mom was in the kitchen washing dishes when suddenly she yelled for my dad to come into the kitchen. I distinctly remember watching Duck Tales when I heard my mom yell. My brother and I ran into the kitchen along with my dad. My mom was pointing out the kitchen window, due east.

East of the house was an old homestead shack almost exactly a mile away – the land was plotted into “sections,” or a square of land a mile on a side. Both the homestead shack and the modern farmhouse were on the west side of sections, but each on a different section. The homestead shack had been abandoned since the late ‘40’s and had no doors and the windows were long broken. The bare wood floors were littered with dirt, debris, broken glass, wood scraps, and animal nests.

And what my mom had seen, what we all then were looking at, was a light. A light coming from one of the glass-less windows of the shack.

It was October and my dad muttered something about a hunter somehow getting lost and bivouacking in the shack for the night. It was snowing and there was already a foot or so of snow on the ground. My dad wasn’t about to let someone freeze to death on his watch, so he decided to go get this lost person and bring them up to the house for a cup of coffee and a warning to stop hunting on private land. For whatever reason he let me go with him, something that I as a father would never do but maybe those were simpler times?

Anyway, dad had an old F-250 4X4 that he used to get around the farm when the snow was deep or the mud was bad. We put on our boots and coats and headed out to the pickup. He started it and pulled away from the house and headed out the main road, turning south. The world was pitch black, the only thing I remember seeing was the falling snow in he headlights. It wasn’t snowing heavy but it was enough that dad needed the windshield wipers periodically.

Because all the land was divided into sections the access to each was along “section lines” or dirt tracks that ran along the edges. Imagine the land divided like a giant chess board, with the only access along the edge of each square. So to get to the shack which was a mile to the east of us we had to drive half a mile south, turn east, drive a mile east, then turn north for half a mile until we got to the shack.

Which was exactly what we did. But there was that north-south coulee that ran across the property and where the section line encountered it the road dropped down 20 or 30 feet, went across the creek for 100 yards or so, then back up 20 or 30 feet to resume crossing the prairie. As we approached the coulee we could still see the glowing window of the shack in the distance, flickering through the falling snow. Dad slowed a bit, downshifted, and descended into the coulee, slowly making his way across the bottoms. There was a fence along the section line for almost the entire road (except where the actual creek was, but water only ran in the spring) so there was no danger of going off the road despite the snow. Dad crawled across the coulee bottom and then slowly up the other side and then levelled out again.

And the light was gone. The whole world was black again.

Dad continued on until the north section line came up. He turned and made his way north, slowing down as he approached the shack. When the shack materialized out of the darkness in the headlights, it looked… well, just as it always had. A long-abandoned building, maybe 25 or 30 feet on a side, no paint, no windows, no sign of life.

Dad got out of the truck and grabbed a big police-style Mag-Lite that he kept under the seat. He switched it on and started towards the shack. I rolled down the window and watched.

He made a big circle around the shack, his boots crunching in the snow. Every once in a while he hollered towards the building, but never got a reply. He made a couple of concentric circles around the building then turned 90 degrees and walked up to the front door – the door itself was long gone. He shone his light in for maybe 30 seconds then stepped back and returned to the truck. He hopped in, tossed the flashlight onto the dash like a hillbilly, and turned the truck around and headed back the way we had come. I asked him where the person was but he just hushed me. The ride back was silent except for the engine and the crunch of snow under the tires. In the distance, of course, the farmhouse was lit up like a Christmas tree – it must’ve looked like that every night but of course I had never seen it at night from that vantage point.

When we got home he told my to go to my room. I did under protest. When I got to my room I closed the door and then laid on the floor to listen to what he was telling my mom.

He said that he had gone around the shack looking for footprints or snowmobile tracks or a Jeep or anything, and saw nothing. No sign anyone had been through that snow at all – certainly no evidence of anyone recently leaving. He then went to the front door and peered in. The floor of the shack was just as dirty and dusty and cluttered as it always had been. No person had been in that shack in years, probably decades, nothing, not even an animal, had been inside to disturb all the dirt and junk that was in there. There had been nobody there.

But half an hour earlier all 4 of us had seen a light coming from the shack. Not a piddly little flicker, but a bright warm glow. Coming from inside the building.

I remember the last time I told this story someone came along and informed me that they had solved the mystery: that we were seeing reflected light against the windows and that was all there was to the mystery. No ghosts.

No.

First, there were no windows left to reflect light. The frames remained but all the glass had been broken out decades before. Second, the nearest house was our farmhouse. We looked out that kitchen window daily and had there been any lights from the house that would be reflecting on any (existent) windows in the shack we would’ve known it. Our nearest neighbor was six miles away… to the east. Third, there were no cars on the road to shine a headlight at the shack and even if there had been because of the grid-like layout of the road system there would be no headlight shining on the shack itself.

Besides. No glass.

It wasn’t snowing hard enough to cover any tracks of someone who had recently left. They would’ve had to have left hours before for their footprints to have filled in. But we saw the light minutes before we got there. Not hours.

We all know what a light in a window looks like. That is what we saw, that is what we continued to see as we drove toward the shack that night in the falling snow.

Then there was nothing.

But something had been there.

There’s nothing in this tale to work up even a small shiver of unease, but it’s something odd that has stuck with me for decades.

I was home for a weekend from college - I went to school about an hour and a half away - and I dawdled, talking to my parents, and eating their food, until about 9:00 on the Saturday night I meant to drive back to campus.

I wanted to be back in my dorm by 10, to watch an obscure British sci-fi show of which my roommate and I were fans; PBS showed it at 10:30 on Saturday nights, which gives you some idea of its obscurity for Americans (and PBS’s estimation of the social lives of its fans).

As I was wending through traffic, trying to get back to campus, the DJ on the classic rock station I had on announced the time: “Hey, it’s 10:30. You didn’t really want to watch that Doctor Who rerun, anyway.”

Whoa.

Great user name / post combo :wink:

Up until I read this I assumed you were looking at a reflection. Possibly a weird reflection on the window in your house or something. But if you still saw the light when you were in the truck, then I can only assume the light was real.

Could another vehicle have been in the vicinity (perhaps a couple hundred yards away), and its headlights were reflecting off of something shiny inside the shack?

Or is it at all possible there was someone in the shack, and they cleverly hid somewhere in the shack when your dad arrived?

At any rate, it is a very interesting and intriguing mystery…

Still my favorite mystery story!

Because of that story, when I see abandoned farmhouses while I am alone at night, I never look at them, lest there be a light shining. It’s better that way,

Did I tell this one?

When I worked Taco Bell I was an opener one morning, and had to knock to be let in. As the manager and I walked from the front into the back I could see a man out of the corner of my eye walking parallel to us, but with a row of tables between us.

My mind said “Oh, it’s X. Why is he still here? He was the closing manager last night.” Then it occurred to me as we went into the employee area that X has jet black hair…not the browny blond hair on this guy. I can still remember mystery guy wore a sagey green sweater. I don’t know knitting patterns but if I’d been shown a book of patterns I easily could have picked it out.

So I told management we had an intruder. We searched everywhere. No intruder - and in fast food, not many places to hide.

Later that morning I looked up from the prep cart and there he was, staring at me. He was on the customer side of the front counter, hands on the counter, leaning forward and staring at me. Then he was gone.

About 4 years later - and we now had a motion activated alarm - I was outside the store before opening talking to the PFS driver. The way the store was built the only windows faced the street and were under an overhang and when the semi was parked in front all you could see reflected was the semi and people walking between the semi and the store. I was alone except for the driver. I turned and saw that same man walking in the dining room.

I was puzzled - the alarm should be going off - and hurried to unlock the store - I was the opening manager. I rushed in back and disarmed the armed alarm. Needless to say, no one was in the store.

The first thing that comes to mind is wondering what was on that site before the Taco Bell was built there?

Sounds like you inadvertently / unknowingly called your home line and got this message. Some people call this “butt-dialing.”

It was a house.

Good story, but somehow I expected …more. That your father saw something in the old shack, or heard voices - whatever. a bit anti-climactic.