Something wrong with search?

This is exactly what’s happening to me. I have given up on the search function for the time being.

Yeah, well, right now the poor buggers are probably wondering if they’ll still have jobs next week, so it does rather put not being able to search for Doctor Who threads in perspective. Good luck, Ed and Jerry: thinkin’ of ya.

I say again, are you people sure that when Search dumps you back to the Advanced Search page it isn’t simply because you haven’t waited x seconds since your last search? Because I get very similar symptoms, but if I wait a few minutes search does start working again.

Usram, I think you’ve got it.

I had been searching for a post I made (or thought I did) about a Timex watch I owned.

On previous days, searching on “timex” and my username just redisplayed the search page.

Today I searched on “watch” and my username. I got a couple of pages of results, none of which was the post I was trying to find.

I tried searching again on “timex” and my username and again got the search page redisplayed.

Now I searched for “watch” and username. Page redisplayed.

I waited a few minutes (more than 5).

I searched for “watch” and username one more time. I got the previous pages of results.

In other words, as Usram said, a search that produces no results just dumps you back to the search page. But unlike our previous setup, it also starts the 5 minute search limit clock.

This is a pain in the ass, but at least we can work with it.

Anybody else want to confirm this?

He’s got it! By George, he’s got it! If it doesn’t find any matches for the search terms, it will bounce you back to the Search page

without telling you it couldn’t find anything.

And until the time limit {5 minutes?} is elapsed

it will continue to bounce you back to the Search page without telling you that you need to wait x minutes.

If it does find what you want, though, it will show the threads. So Search itself is more or less working, it’s just the front end that’s a little buggered. Like rowrbazzle said, it’s frustrating but just about workable.

I can now erase the Pit threads I’ve been mentally composing.

OK, the search function seems to be working again on “Search This Forum” and not just “Advanced Search” now, and it’s showing the time remaining until next search. Thanks, Jerry.

Well, it just dumped me back to the search page and set the timer at 300 seconds for a search for which there were definitely results*, so it’s not just a lack of results that cause the problem.

(*because after I waited 5 minutes, and clicked search on the exact same terms, I got a proper response.)