Song lyrics I misunderstood

Hall & Oates, “One on One”

One on one I wanna play that game tonight
One on one I know I wanna play that
One on one I wanna play that game tonight
One on one so slow

I guess I never even really knew the name of the song - until I recently bought the CD - or I would have known what they were saying. I thought it was a repetitive “Want, I want, I wanna play that game tonight…”

:smack:

Classic basketball song.

My favorite Mondegreen (as misheard song lyrics are called) was from a young girl who insisted that the Three Dog Night song about the party was “I’m a Troll in a Cup.”

Jim Croce Lover’s cross:

Actual lyrics:
Cause now it seems that you wanted a martyr, just a regular guy wouldn’t do - but baby I can’t hang upon no lover’s cross for you…

I always heard this as:
Cause now it seems that you wanted a mother, just a regular guy wouldn’t do - but baby I can’t hang upon no lover’s cross for you…

Confusion all around.

The Beatles: “The girl with colitis goes by.”

A few weeks ago I was itching, for no particular reason to hear, a specific Nine Inch Nails song. I had no idea what the name of it was, but that shouldn’t be a problem since normally you can just plug a few lyrics into youtube or google and come up with the song. I googled the only lyrics from the song I knew for at least an hour and came up empty handed. I even went through NIN’s catalog and started pulling up every song who’s title I didn’t know…I started to wonder if maybe it wasn’t a NIN song at all. Turns out I was so off on the lyrics that not even your normal “misheard lyrics” type websites mentioned it. At this point I still had no idea I had the lyrics wrong since I had known them forever. Eventually I ran across someone else on some other message board laughing at themself because they heard them the same way I did and their friend had just pointed out the correct lyrics to them. Anyways, since forever, I had heard “I was up above it” as “How is everybody.”

I was never sure if the Killer Queen is as *faithful *as a pussycat, or as graceful.

Turns out, she’s neither.

There’s the classic Jimi Hendrix one: ‘Scuse me while I kiss this guy’ is actually ‘Scuse me while I kiss the sky’.

The best ones are from kids.

Back in the day there was a popular song, “Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes Blue.”

My friends young daughter used to sing, “Don’t It Make My Brownies Smooth.”
mmm

Are you living in the East?
Strolling away the time?
Are you gathering up the years?
Do you have a diamond mine?

I thought it was about a rich Easterner wasting their life.

My favorite was Dave Barry’s Help Me, Rhonda misinterpretation of the opening lines:

ELP’s Take A Pebble

First line is “Just take a pebble…”

My lovely or talented wife misheard it as “Drastic apparel…”

In 1993 Coverdale and Page released an album called, well, “Coverdale and Page”, and since it was two of my teenage idols if you will I bought oit ut of curiousity. It pretty much sucked, but I liked ‘Shake My Tree’ and ‘Pride and Joy’. However, the last one was ruined by the line: “Purify my soul and pour the whole shit over me.” Even though I read the lyrics and found out he is actually singing, Purify my soul an’ pour your ocean over me, I could never hear anything but the shit part. – Well, that’s what I got.

Speaking of Coverdale, inbetween Deep Purple and Whitesnake he did some solo work.
One song, that I love, is “Only my Soul”.

Actual lyrics, “Hear me crying out for love.”

What I heard, “Hear me crying out below.”

Jimi Hendrix version of All Along The Watchtower. When Hendrix says “So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late” the first time I heard it I thought the lyrics where “So let us not talk falsely now, I was getting laid”

Back in my previous life as a disc jockey, we would call that song “Donuts Make My Brown Eyes Blue.”

“Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me”

I used to think the opening words were:

“I can’t lie, no more of your darkness” until I heard Oleta Adams cover it. Then I realized it was:

“I can’t light no more of your darkness” makes more sense.

The daughter of a friend of mine thought “Don’t Wanna Be You Slave,” by the Stones, was “Don’t Wanna Be Your Slice.” The effect of this line coming out of a 5-year-old was pretty funny.

My own daughter was one of apparently many who thought the Fugees were singing “Killing me softly with insults.” I think I might have thought so too if I didn’t know the original.

Yup with some dribbling and some shooting…which might result in more dribbling…:smiley:

But in staying with the OP, I always thought Don Henley was singing…

“I can see…your breasts get shiny in the sun…”

when it is

“I can see your brown skin shining in the sun…”

I like my version better…

“The Boxer” - Simon & G: In the quiet of a railway station, lettuce skin.

“Take a Chance on Me” - Abba: If you change your mind, I’m the first in line; allie oxen free, take a chance on me.

One from my ex-wife: “Treat Him Well, He is Your Brother” - Abba: Sleeping Willie is your brother.