Song merging

Sometimes I’ll merge two songs, using the tune and lyrics to one song, and then switching to lyrics of another song. For example, Get Me To The Church On Time merged with Safety Dance (using the tune of the former) becomes:

I’m getting married in the morning,
Ding-dong the bells are going to chime,
As long as we abuse it, never gonna lose it
Everything’ll work out right

Anyone else do this?

Yep.

From the hit rock opera,Carol Brady Superstar:
Here’s a story
Of a lovely lady
Who was bringing up 3 very lovely girls
Like the filth from Rome who rape our country
And have terrorized our people for so long

The Brady Bunch…the Brady Bunch…

And, to the tune of Green Acres:
Speeeeed Racer always wins the race
Caaaaar racin’ is the life for him!

Do you like Pina Coladas, gettin’ caught in the rain?
We’ll split the difference, go to Coconut Cove!

• Been there, downloaded that.
  • We here are all fine, upstanding members of the law-abiding online comunity, but if we weren’t, we might fire up a P2P client and search for mashes.

• A mash is a remixed song with the vocals fron one song and the instruments/music of another. Seems to have come out of Britain first; there was a now-famous local/underground album titled “Girls On Top” that contained all unauthorized mashes, so you might search for that too. First you (ideally) need an a’capella version of a song, that is, without any instruments used at all. Then you pick another song that uses the same lyric structure (beats per line, lines per verse, ect) and you run it through a vocal eliminator filter to reduce the regular lead vocals. Then you take the a’capella track and mix it with the other instrumental track, adjusting speeds as needed. Most pop songs of the last few decades stick to a basic structure, and the reason most mashes use female vocals is that female singers more often record a’capella versions of their songs.
    ~

I have lots of them. the best ones are Rammstein vs Eminem vs South Park, or Eminem vs Green Day. Any Elvis mix is usually worth a shot, too. just type ‘vs’ into the search bar.

Some of my favorites include Christina Aguilera’s “Genie In a Bottle” vocals over a Strokes song, Eminem’s “Without Me” rap over the Smiths’ “This Charming Man” music, and Destiny’s Child’s “Bootylicious” vocals over Nirvana’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit.”

Actually, I was wondering if people did this themselves – “in their own head” – rather than the commercial things people are mentioning.

Mr Aspy and I are continually adding to a long-running list of “songs that can be sung to the tune of Gilligan’s Island

The story so far:

Amazing Grace
House of the Rising Sun
The Australian National Anthem
The Wild Colonial Boy
Oh Little Town of Bethlehem

…and a number of others that I can’t quite remember at the moment.

But we never switch lyrics in midstream

Oh, I do this all the darn time. And I’m usually halfway through song #2 before I realize I’ve done it. And of course, I can’t think of a single example of this right now, but now that I know what this thread is about, I’ll come back next time I do it and tell you about it.

Freude, schoner Gotterfunken,
Tochter aus Elysium,
Thou art lost and gone forever,
Oh my darling Clementine.

I do that all the time, I drive myself nuts! I’ll be thinking along to one song, and then be unable to continue thinking about it because it turns into another one. Does that make sense?? I know what the OP means.

And, of course:

Frosty the snowman
Had a very shiny nose. . .

I don’t do this too often but I may have to give it a try since one of my favorite songs is Leon Russell singing Dylan’s “Masters of War” to “The Star Spangled Banner”.

Then there was the absolute classic:

Stairway to Gilligan’s Isle

The theme song from Gilligan’s Island to the tune of Stairway to Heaven.

One of my favorites.

I once accidently created a moral atrocity by putting Tori Amos’ “Me and a Gun” (which she sings a capella) over Peter Gabriel’s “Big Time”. All I thought of at the moment was that they were in the same key and…

(Five A.M…)
I’m on my way to making it
(…friday morning.
Thursday night…)

I’m gonna make it show, yeah
(…far from sleep.
I’m still…)

So much larger than life
(…up and driving,
can’t go home…)

I’m gonna watch it growing.
(…obviously).

Aaaah.
(it was me and a gun and a man on my back and I sang holy holy, holy holy, holy holy.)

Yayks.

collapses with laughter

Reminds me of a time when me and my sister were learning Scarlatti’s Ariettas and one was about pansies. We promptly reworked it into a song about panties, until mum banned the activity in fear that we might accidently switch the lyrics in concert, undr pressure.

Dizzy Fingers, that’s hilarious. (The Ode to Clementine, that is.)