Songs you like by bands you otherwise hate

“More Than Words” by Extreme

Repeat for most other top 10 comparatively soft ballads by usually noisy bands.

“Brother Love’s Travelling Salvation Show” by Neil Diamond.

“Do You Really Want to Hurt Me” by Culture Club.

The aforementioned “Rockstar”.

You’ll like ‘Don’t Fear the Reaper’ when you hear the version done by Prozac for Lovers:cool:

For me, it’s Spies. But otherwise Coldplay makes me twitch.

I took a Southern Lit class in college and one day our professor played both the Nirvana version of “Where Did You Sleep Last Night” as well as a more “traditional” bluegrass-style version. I must say that the Nirvana version conveyed a mood that was much more fitting of the subject matter of the song (murder, suspicion). Like you I’m not a huge Nirvana fan but that is one song of theirs I really liked.

As for other songs, I’m not a big rap fan but there are two rap songs that I like. The first one is “Lose Yourself” by Eminem, aka “the song from 8 Mile and also the Super Bowl car commercial”. I also like “Discovery Channel” by Bloodhound Gang, not because it’s a particularly good song, but because the lyrics are so freaking ridiculous. “I want you smothered / Want you covered / Like my Waffle House hashbrowns.” Indeed.

I loathe The Smiths. I wish Morrissey’s mum had decided to abort. I think the world would be a better place without ever having anything ever recorded by these guys and spewed around the planet.

And yet, I think How Soon Is Now? is a great song, drawing all the best from each band member in a unique way (that they never managed to duplicate ever again).

I like ‘Heart and Soul’ by the otherwise repulsive Huey Lewis and the News.

The title is actually ‘The Bad Touch’ (which I don’t think appears in the lyrics) and I’m with you, it’s the only Bloodhound Gang song I’ve heard that I like.

Mine was Nickelback too. I can’t explain it.

Oh yeah, that’s right, I was going off the incorrect title from my old Napster file :stuck_out_tongue:

Unlike the rest of their songs I don’t hate:
Hootie and the Blowfish’s “Be The One”
Arcade Fire’s “Neighborhood #2” & “Ready To Start”
The Strokes’ “Reptilia” & “Juicebox”
Train’s “Ordinary”
Beastie Boys’ “Brass Monkey” & “Girls”
Belle and Sebastian’s “Your Cover’s Blown”
Of Montreal’s “Gallery Piece” (I in fact love this song)
System of a Down’s cover of “The Metro”
Bodeans’ “Fadeaway”
They Might Be Giants’ “I’m Impressed”

How can you hate “Baby Girl, I’m a Blur”?

Treat Her Like a Lady the Celine Dion version, I didn’t even know it was her, or a woman singing (thought it was a Michael Jackson or Prince type falsetto singer) for the longest time. Sorry, it’s got a great beat and it’s sOOOO danceable. :smiley:

I hate the rest of her stuff too sappy and I’m not a big fan of lady singers anyway.

I like some of their other stuff but I agree that it showcases the best of their talents in a unique way.

But have you heard anything from We were dead befor the ship even sank by Modest Mouse? It has a combination of some of that jangly Johnny Marr guitar along with some good songwriting behind it.

I was trying to think of a good one - and this is mine. Most bands that have one great song are bands that I’m just “meh” about, but I really can’t stand much the Smiths ever did, with the exception of this song, which is one of my all-time favorites.

I can’t stand REM, but Man on the Moon is a pretty good song. I can mostly stomach Losing My Religion.

I really like Collective Soul’s first hit, “Shine.”
When I first heard it, I went and listened to the rest of the album and didn’t like anything else on it, nor have I liked any of their subsequent singles (though after the first one, I never sought out any album content beyond what was getting airplay).

“Shine” is a catchy, inventive, slightly edgy number that doesn’t sound like anything else. Everything else I’ve heard by Collective Soul is lame, by-the-numbers, pseudo-angsty grunge crap.

The funny thing is, there are no Nickelback duplicates! Plenty of people just like “How Soon is Now”, but although lots of people just like one Nickelback song nobody can agree on which one the good one is.

Oh, and, er, I quite like “Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)”, is that the official title? Anyway, sue me.

I’ve been ashamed to mention this one in public, but I actually like Creed’s song “Bullets.”

Would it kill to actually name the songs? Some of us are at work and can’t watch youtube videos.

“All Through the Night” - Cindi Lauper
“A Change Would Do You Good” - Sheryl Crow

I despise everything Pearl Jam has ever released, from Ten on through the present day. Just yuck.

However, last year I heard their single “The Fixer” and damn if it wasn’t catchy.