Songs you like by bands you otherwise hate

Pearl Jam almost counts for me too but I like Black and Crazy Mary. I also like playing the guitar solo in Rock Band from Alive, but I don’t actually like the song all that much.

This.

See also What’s the Frequency, Kenneth? and It’s the End of the World As We Know It (and I Feel Fine), despite the latter being horrendously overplayed.

I LOVE Stay (I Missed You) by Lisa Loeb, though the rest of her stuff is crap (however, I would pay money to watch her read the phone book…I loves me some geek lady).

“Home” by Marc Broussard. Little white boy sounds black. And funky.

Speaking of white boys who sound black…not the biggest Jamiroquai fan, but Virtual Insanity and Canned Heat. I almost thought it was a young Stevie Wonder singing at first.

Oddly, I have to disagree with what you (and several others) have said. I like a lot of The Smiths’ songs, but I really dislike this one for some reason, even though it is their best known and most popular.

I’m sorry, this is an internet habit that makes me stabby. I cannot go to YouTube on this computer because of the server filters. So you couldn’t be bothered to post the name of the goddamn song so I am * still* not quite sure which one you are referring to. It’s too bad because I might like to know the title and track the damn song down later, when I am not in front of this particular machine.

I friggin hate it when someone posts a YouTube or Facebook link because I won’t be interacting with that post. I’ve seen entire threads that are nothing but YouTube link after YouTube link. If I’d known there was not going to be any actual discussion of anything, I’d have not bothered opening the thread in the first place.

Wouldn’t it be nice if people warned you “This thread contains nothing but YouTube links. Might as well not even bother until you get home, if you can be bothered to sit around on the computer at home after you’ve been sitting in front of it all day long.”

No? Oh well.

ETA: MY apologies for the hijack rant. I realize this thread actually has posts in it, which I can read. I am just bitching about this one post.

Oh, and also, I like “Leader of Men” as well, but really hate Nickelback in all other incarnations.

I agree: Instead of just saying “this song”, the link should have the name of the song, so those who don’t want to click (or are unable to click) can at least know that.

And now to actually add to the thread discussion: I generally don’t like reggae, and I especially don’t like UB40. I hate their big hit, “Red, Red Wine”, which is what gets played all the time.

But I really like one of their less-known hits, “Sing Our Own Song”.

FWIW, it was Nirvana’s “Where Did You Sleep Last Night.”

Thank you. :wink:

You’re certainly welcome.

I was never much of a fan of The Cure, but I’ve always liked “The Love Cats.” A few years after that, they shocked me by putting out another tune, “Lovesong,” that I liked (Adele has a lovely cover of that tune on her latest album).

Paint It Black by the Stones. That’s the only good song they ever did.

I disagree, Airman. I think “She’s So Cold” is their best song.

YM obviously MV, and all that.

Where?

Stone Temple Pilots, “interstate Love song”

Collective Soul’s, “Shine”

Um, okay.

“Alive With The Glory of Love”, Say Anything
“Love Will Keep Us Together”, Captain and Tenille

OH, and how could I possibly forget “Countdown” by Rush?!

While I’m not the biggest Rush fan in the world, I AM a humongous nerd. To me this may very well be the greatest song in the history of the entire universe. At the very least it’s got to be the best song ever written about the space shuttle by Canadians.

I hate all disco, all disco artists, and everything they’ve every done.

Except, cosmos help me, Donna Summer did a better version of State of Independence than Jon and Vangelis did. Anderson actually didn’t seem to understand the sentiment behind what he was singing, his emphasis is all over the place.

I loathe Charlie Daniels, but love “Still in Saigon”.
Li’l Wayne’s “I Feel Like Dying”
“Beside You” by Marianas Trench
Crossfade’s “Colours”
“Time of Dying” by Three Days Grace

I despise Hootie and the Blowfish, and generally don’t tend to care for re-makes of songs I liked the first time around; but their cover of The Goodbye Girl was actually quite listenable for me!

Slight hijack: some years ago, the hubby and I saw Neil Diamond in concert (shut up; we like him, OK?) and he was singing his version of Red, Red Wine. Then, right in the middle of the song, he took it reggae, a la UB40, but he changed the lyrics:
[Neil Diamond doing reggae]
Red red wine
you make me feel so fine
Pay those royalties all of the time
Red red wine
You make me feel so fine
Now a second house and a Ferrari’s mine
[/ND dr]
Hubby didn’t get it, but I was cracking up! :smiley: