Sony fucking sucks. I want my money back on my PSP.

Quit pumping out the fucking $25 UMD movies that only an idiot would buy.

Quit working on web browers. How much time do you think your customers want to spend browsing the web on this little machine?

Quit patching the OS for “security updates”. It’s a fucking game machine. Who gives a shit about security

Get your asses in the lab and make some motherfucking games for this $250 paper weight already.

I sure loved looking at it for the first month I had it. I understood that there wasn’t going to be a massive library right away. But holy fucking shit. It’s been what, 7 months or more since launch and I could count the new game releases on one hand. And they all suck!!

There’s hardly anything significant on the near horizon either.

FWIW the DS isn’t doing a whole lot better but at least that didn’t cost me an arm and a leg.

Huh? There is quite a good library of DS games out at the moment, and the future looks pretty good game-wise as well. What are you refering to here?

Brian, whom loves his DS

I love my DS too, but the game library is still seriously lacking. There’s maybe 5 games that I want to buy. (Warioware, Nintendogs, Kirby, and Advance Wars…okay so 4.)

The second I found out that the umd’s weren’t going to be downloadable: I decided Sony can kiss my white hairy ass!

I understand companies are all about the profit. But COME ON, make the umd’s downloadable for christ sake!!

I bet you would have sold a million more of these units if you did!

You can’t blame Sony for releasing movies, as that has been a tremendous and somewhat unexpectged success (8 million sold, vs 9 million games).

What games do you have for the PSP? You must have a lot of free time (or be a shallow gamer) to have finished them already.

Though I admit, I’m an avid Homebrew fan. So no FW2.0 for me …

I think the PSP is doing great for its first year, and it is quite surprising that there are already so many good games so early on. Ridge Racers is awesome (I actually completed that game, a rare thing for me), WipeOut is awesome, Lumines is awesome, and I really like Metal Gear Acid too, although I’m not very far into that game yet (Homebrew got in the way - woohoo for Castaway! :wink: and its very cool to have contributed something to the community that way by authoring a keyboard driver that was used for among others a dosbox port, it’s called p_sprint).

Of course I also use my PSP a lot as an MP3 player and all that stuff.

I love the little thing, and it goes with me almost everywhere all the time.

My experience with Sony has been that their TVs are the best, hands down, the rest of their product line sucks donkeys.

Well, their tv’s suck too.
I love my PS2 though.

I’ve got one of their CD players that’s lasted 14 years and is still going strong. Ditto for my 5 year old receiver.

I’m working on a PSP game right now, should be out by Christmas. It’s looking pretty good, although the limitations of the system itself are pretty annoying.

As for movies… just copy your existing movies onto the PSP. I’m not going to say how it’s done, 'cause I don’t know if that would piss off some mods, but it’s easy to do.

Could you mention some of those limitations? And are they more limitations imposed by Sony, or technical issues?

And do you know www.ps2dev.org? It’s a website for developers, and it has a ‘public domain’ sdk. Obviously not up to the official one, but there’s a fair bit of expertise forming there …

Well, I’m typing this on my PSP right now!

Definitely agree we need some new games though.

That’s three hours of your life you’ll never get back. :wink:

I’m still using the Sony “boom box” I got for Christmas in 1993.

Meh. It’s only a commercial product, made by sony. Linky

lol no kidding - that took forever.

Ah, back to the computer now. :slight_smile:

I imagine the worst limitation is that you can’t stream from the UMD for a game. Well, you CAN, but it seriously degrades battery life, so it’s not really an option.

We’re porting a PS2 game over to the PSP, and framerate is extremely difficult to get. That may be more a function of our engine, though- we’re in the process of optimizing for the PSP.

That’s a pretty neat device. I use a program called PocketDVD on my 'puter, personally. Having a device that does the work without tying up my computer would be kinda nice, but that’s pretty pricey for what it does.

Have you looked at Meteos yet (just off the top of my head)? I’ve found that game to be surprisingly deep and addicting. Honestly, my expectations weren’t all that high until I really started playing it.

(Oh, and about WarioWare, I heard the new DS version isn’t so great. Everyone I spoke to reccomended me to get Twisted instead.)

I was going to say, the PSP has only been released in Australia a few days ago and already there’s a couple dozen games in the ‘new release’ and ‘coming soon’ slots at EB. The DS, having been out a few months yet to compare, has about the same or slightly less amount of games yet it’s been out for a longer time.

The DS already has about five “killer apps” right now - Advance Wars DS, WarioWare Touched, Nintendogs, Meteos, and Kirby Canvas Curse - with at least 5 killer games coming out per month until Christmas (Animal Crossing DS with wifi capability, Resident Evil DS, Lost in Blue, Trace Memory/Another Code, Mario Kart, Metroid Prime: Hunters with Wi-Fi capability, the new Mario platformer, and so on). The system’s sales are skyrocketing in both the US and Japan.

I think that the fundamental problem with the PSP (besides the price and flimsiness of the system) is that people do not want to take those types of games “on the go.” The system and its games seem to be entirely predicated on taking the console experience on the go, which is simply not something that people want to do, especially the people in the system’s target market.

The reason the DS is such a brilliant product is that it offers an entirely unique and different gaming experience via the touch screen and microphones - DS games are a unique experience that cannot be had on any console, and one that just feels perfect in a handheld with major “toy appeal.” I know it’s why I bought one - if I want to play regular games, I have my PS2 at home.

Also, the UMD system for movies is one of the most ridiculous blunders I’ve ever seen, and I’m honestly shocked that a company of Sony’s size and reputation has done such a thing. UMD movies are about twice the price of regular DVD’s, and you can only play them on your PSP! It’s not like you can even hook up the PSP to a regular TV to watch them - who’s going to pay TWICE as much for something that they can only watch on the go, on the tiny screen? Absolutely absurd.