Sorry, but anyone know why Live Journal is down????

To repeat my own question but anyone know why Live Journal is down.

It’s been down about four and a half hours. Can’t ping it, the result of a trace route is indefinate loop and stop it with a control C.

Anyone?

Not a damn clue.

And I even signed up for a paid account today.

What a pisser.

I hate it when livejournal goes down :frowning:

Here is the official word:

The status of LiveJournal:

At 10:08 pm EST on Wednesday, February 19th, Admin lisa writes :
LiveJournal is experiencing network problems at our upstream provider right now. The situation is being addressed and resolved as quickly as possible. Please bear with us until this is fixed.

The “checkfriends” protocol has been temporarily disabled for free users. There’s a popular client that isn’t obeying our protocol, and in doing so, it’s spiking server load. It’s been disabled until we can enforce the protocol limits. This means that your client’s icon will no longer flash when your friends make an update, until this is re-enabled.

When there are problems with LJ, you can check here: http://status.livejournal.com/ which is hosted elsewhere.

Awesome! Thanks Opal!

Thanks Opal. That’s useful information. I wonder which client it is? It figures that it would go down on the day I decide that I’ve been neglecting my LJ and should get back in the saddle.

Thank you Opal…it’s been bumming me out…it is my favorite source for all that is the internet.

I need to tell you this is not a normal occurance. I have been a memer since ummmm, well ages but started writing in my journal in 2001.

This is not the common thing… so hang in there. I don’t know what exactly is going on but this is the first time I have seen them down this long.

Thanks for the reassurance.
I’ve had a free account for a few months, but I’ve got this curse, you see, so it’s not completely unexpected. ::grin:: This kind of stuff always happens to me!
I just happen to be at a peak addiction today, a mix of general malaise and creativity. So many witty entries I could have made, but alas my damn curse!

I shall sleep well now knowing that (hopefully!) it will be there in the morn.

That flashing icon thing has always annoyed me anyway. I have so many people on my friends list that in any five minute period it is pretty much guaranteed that one of them will have made a post. So basically, the thing flashes distractingly all the time. :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s a new message on the LJ status site.

At 3:57 am EST on Thursday, February 20th, Admin lisa writes :
LiveJournal is currently under a Distributed Denial of Service attack, and has been since about 5:30pm PST (1:30 AM GMT) tonight. We have been working with our upstream providers (including several major backbones) to filter traffic as quickly and effectively as possible.

Due to the fact that a DDOS attack involves potentially tens of thousands of hosts all working together against a single target (in this case, us), it is extremely difficult to find one group of IP addresses to block to prevent the attack from affecting our services any further. Our upstream providers are currently filtering somewhere around 1/4 of the IPs on the internet from reaching LiveJournal. Unfortunately, these filters also block legitimate traffic from some users. When the attack has subsided we will remove the filters.

We will continue to monitor and block hosts as we gather more information regarding this attack. We seriously apologize for the inconvenience, and hope you understand we are doing everything in our power to get the site back functioning as normal.

Additionally, if you have any information as to who or what may be responsible for this attack, please email attack_info@livejournal.com.

I want to beat the hell out of whoever did this. GRAR!

Saph, I’m in a state of shock to see you posting.

I miss you, Wah.

Ohhh…

I thought it was just my computer being poopyheaded again! (XJETGIRLX, I feel your pain. I have a curse too.)

Gah.

Wanders off to look for something else to do

I’m reminded of the list that showed up on my friends page recently:

20 signs you’re addicted to the internet.

#1 should be — Your journal site goes down and it sends you into catatonia, mumbling and babbling, “friends list, sex poll, where’s my sex poll, must communicate, mommy?”

(for the record, that was pretty much my reaction)

As I type this, I am restraining myself from telling you all what a shitty night I had last night.
It all started after my work out when …

NO! Must wait for site to return!

WHERE’S MY MOOD ICONS???

Bwaahahahaaahahhaaaaaaaa – (the maniacal laughter of an unrepentant lunatic)

Bummer. I was all set to write about my trials in attempting to run a phone line into my upstairs bedroom.

Bummer. It’ll just have to wait, I guess.

It’s looking like this could take a long time to clear up. Someone I know heard of a number of sites being hacked today/ last night, not just LJ. And no, this is not a normal occurance at all. I’m at something of a loss without it!

Dear Hacker Morons:

Leave LJ alone, you asswipes! If you’re bored, why don’t you just throw rocks at streetlights or something? Bozhe moi!

Ohhhhh…that’s why that thing flashes.

I was wondering.

But not wondering enough to investigate.

Why the hell would anyone hack LiveJournal?

Because they can? Hackers suxxor.