South from Algodones, Mexico.

Quick, without resorting to the internet or books for the answer!

What’s the first foreign country you encounter when you head due south from Algodones, Mexico?

I love weird geography!

WAG – Antarctica?

Um… no, but I like the way you think! :wink:

Damn, I wasn’t even close, was I? :smiley:

Would that be The US ?

Or Iceland, that would be weird

Well, your answer would have been correct for certain parts of Mexico, as far as I can figure. Mexico City in particular.

So not bad, but wrong.

Annie gets it! Yaaay!

That was my guess, too, though I had never heard of Algodones, mainly because of the way QtM asked the question. I tried to verify it, but couldn’t find Algodones on any map I had. I had to google it to find out where it was.

My personal favorite weird geography question: What direction does a ship travel to reach the Pacific from the Atlantic when going through the Panama Canal?

From Atlantic to Pacific is from the Northwest to the Southeast, no?

OK, another of my favorites!

What state has a bit of it removed from the rest of the state, completely surrounded by other states, accessible only by going thru another state regardless of whether by road, sea or land?

By the way you phrased the Question I will guess

USA

Looking at Annie’s Answer, hooray.

Jim

I hit enter too soon:

New Jersey has a small beach that belongs to Delaware but as you could boat over to it, I know that is not what you are looking for.

Jim

Kentucky. There’s a tiny chunk on the very western tip that was cut off when the Mississippi River changed course as a result of the New Madrid earthquakes in 1811. It’s only accessible through Tennessee or Missouri.

Yuppers.

How many states lie on both sides of the Mississippi river?

3? Minnesota, Illinois, and Louisiana.

QtM, correct on the Panama Canal.

From where I live I can watch the sun rise out of the Pacific. And I am east of the Atlantic.

I knew the answer–I’m from Yuma, Arizona.

Don’t you love it when you hear about something for the very first time ever, and then hear another reference to it within a day? I’m reading a biography of Audubon that talks about the New Madrid earthquakes, which I’d never, ever heard of – till yesterday afternoon.

There’s a similar tiny chunk of Iowa marooned on the Nebraska side of the Missouri river just north of downtown Omaha: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?address=&city=Carter%20Lake&state=IA&zipcode=&country=US&title=<b>Carter%20Lake%2C%20IA%20US<%2Fb>&cid=lfmaplink2&name=&zoom=7

A few more states lie on both sides of the river. In addition to the 3 you’ve named, we have Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, and even a bit of Missouri which is part island, part attached to Tennessee when water is lower, but always east of the river’s main channel. So that adds up to 8 states with land on both sides of the river.

This state of affairs occurred due to the shifting of the river’s course, leaving bits of states which were once on one side of the river stuck to the other side.