South Park 10/22 - Peruvian Flute Bands (spoilers)

Well, that - - ummm, sucked. Has there been a good episode yet this fall? This might’ve been funnier if I had ever heard of a Peruvian flute band (are they a real fad?) I was really disappointed to see that it appears to be a multi-parter.

I dunno if they’re a fad, but the episode is quite clearly aiming at the rounding up of random folks and sending 'em to Gitmo for unspecified reasons, that they chose to poke fun at Cloverfield and the Blair Witch Project (whilst making a throwback to the whole “Indy was raped” bit) is an added bonus, IMHO.

Peruvian Flute Bands are a real living fad (they are EVERYWHERE in NYC—go to Port Authority Bus Terminal or Grand Central right now and I can guarantee that you’ll see one performing), and I thought it was one of the most hilarious things I’ve ever seen on the show. However, it was unable to carry an entire episode, and it got pretty lame towards the end.

My DVR cut off before the ending and I didn’t even care.

<Cartman> Laaaaame!</Cartman>

I really liked it, although I could see where some might critique its derivativeness: the boys’ ire (well, everyone except Kenny) at the Peruvian flute bands [Pfbs] echoes that of Cartman’s hatred of hippies and drum circles and South Park’s unhappy experience with film festivals and smug yuppies; the exaggerated federal response and Gitmo bits being like the Team America movie and other spoofs of the feds (the “24” episode, etc.); the hermetic secret role of the Pfbs (protection from giant guinea pigs) being as surreal as mountain lionesses hunting down satanic woodland critters, Easter Bunny men who chant in Latin, and of celebrities protecting us from Mecha-Streisand.

And as an added bonus, they’ve found yet another way for Randy Marsh to act like a dumbass, while spoofing yet another fantasy/action flick.

Shipping people off to Gitmo is played out, the Cloverfield parody is over a year late, and the Indy was raped bit was lame from the start and shouldn’t have been called back, IMO. Just a horrible, horrible episode. Could’ve been acceptable had I ever heard of Peruvian flute bands but probably still not good.

Did anyone else sense a nod to Scarface when they were under the bridge in Miami, though?

As a Peruvian, I have to say Best. Episode. Ever. More Peruvians! More flutes!

I had been meaning to ask about those Peruvian flute bands for a long time.

They always show up at every outdoor festival and…wait… there’s another one! Then one day I went to the Mall of America and there was a whole convention of Peruvian flute bands. WTF?

I had assumed it was some guys from a tiny enclave of S. American immigrants who got together to form a band, but they seem to be multiplying like cucarachas.

Is it some racket where they import them by the truckload?

The ep was weak overall though I got a kick out of the giant real-life guinea pigs attacking everybody.

And I’d like to see Craig die or give someone the finger already.

Has anybody spotted Pfbs operating in New Jersey? (Likely locations: Hoboken, Montclair) I haven’t seen any, but then I don’t get out much.

With apologies to the makers of Casablanca

Major Strasser [a dedicated Nazi and Peruvian flute band import/exporter]: Are you one of those people who cannot imagine the Peruvian flute bands in their beloved Paris?
Rick: It’s not particularly my beloved Paris.
Heinz: Can you imagine us in London?
Rick: When you get there, ask me!
Captain Renault: Hmmh! Diplomatist!
Major Strasser: How about New Jersey?
Rick: Well there are certain sections of New Jersey, Major, that I wouldn’t advise you to try to invade.

:smiley:

I was with a group of people who were chased through the streets of Cuzco by a Peruvian flute band.

When I saw the guinea pigs, I laughed out loud.

I actually really enjoyed this week (after being very underwhelmed by the last two episodes). I dunno, I like how things spiral out of control in a slightly different way every time . . .

I really liked Craig calling the guys out because of the sort of thing that “always happens” when those four put a scheme together- which is why the four of them only have each other because “None of the kids at school like you, and this is why.”

I loved to watch Kenny groovin’ to the band, while the others didn’t get it

I liked it. I can’t say I’ve seen that many Peruvian flute bands. Maybe it’s a colorado thing.

I do like it when they start some completely off the wall epic. And I thought the parody of the character who will not put down his video camera no matter what was brilliant, as it’s what I’ve always thought watching those movies.

So will this have a sequel?

The Peruvian flute bands have been in America for at least 20 years. You found them at festivals and then in larger cities.

South Park is well past it’s use date. They are not funny any longer and need to be euthanized so this crap stops.

I wouldn’t say that at all. The last few episodes have been weak but they have had slumps before. I think it was season 6 or 7 - after they won an emmy for an episode with a “message” and every episode had to have a message for awhile . . . I thought the show was dead then, and they’ve done gaggles of brilliant episodes since. The three-part Imaginationland story at the end of last season was one of the best things they’ve ever done. So no, I don’t think it’s past its use-by date and absolutely does not need to be euthanized. It’s a moot point anyway since they are contracted for a few more seasons as of now.

Cloverfield came out in January.