South Park - general discussion

I don’t see a recent general discussion of South Park, so here it is.

I appreciated last night’s Not Suitable For Children episode. If you don’t have a middle schooler who loves Prime hydration drink, its premise may have been lost on you.

Overall, I think it was the right angle to joke about the fact that “It’s shameful to advertise things only intended for adults towards children,”…while having a television show that kids will see…that is only for adults.

Seriously, Prime Hydration drink is out of control in middle schools.

I was just trying to think about the last time I watched South Park with any regularity – probably the 2016 season? I just remember it because they’d built the story of the season around the assumption that Hillary would win the election and had to swerve.

It’s not like I made a decision to stop watching, I adored South Park for much of my youth. I just kind of drifted away.

I am not a regular, but I have caught their 1-hour specials, like last nights.

It’s a little sad to look at the viewership numbers over the years, going from regularly drawing 3 million U.S. viewers to only one episode in this latest season topping half a million. That’s obviously not a trend unique to South Park.

The Prime fad seems to have run its course here. During the summer it seemed to be rare and would disappear just as fast as they put it out. Now I see pallets of the stuff sitting in grocery stores marked down not moving. I think the kids have moved on to other stuff.

I’m one of those. (That missed it, not that has a middle-schooler.)

Of recent episodes, I liked the multiverse one better.

Oh. I’m not subscribed to “specials,” so I missed this, and apparently an episode in October. Calling these “specials” instead of “episodes” apparently helps them avoid a commitment to Max.

On August 5, 2021, Comedy Central announced that Parker and Stone signed a $900 million deal for extending the series to 30 seasons through 2027.[14] The deal also included a series of 14 films for Paramount+, which are released twice per year.[15] Parker and Stone later denied that the projects were films, and clarified that it was ViacomCBS (currently Paramount Global) which decided to advertise them as such.[16] Paramount+ advertises the projects as “exclusive events”, and they are generally accepted to be television specials.

From:

See also:

“South Park” is no more:

Did they get Phish to re-record the opening line? I hope so. “Goin’ down to South 'merica, gonna have a real good time…”

Did you mean Primus? Or do you actually want Phish to re-record the opening?

:hangs head:

I meant Primus. My bad.

That was my first thought on hearing about this—that the theme song will sound odd. Cramming four syllables where one syllable used to be doesn’t work very well.

Maybe “Goin’ South 'merica” instead of “Goin’ down to South Park” could work. (“Goin’ South 'mer-ICK-a”. Not fully satisfactory. Of course they might do it for just the first episode of the season.)

Anyway, the lack-of-popularity of Donald’s naming adventures should lead to some good ratings for the re-named show. I hope they have a good overall plot for the new shows. I thought last season started strong, but the ‘Donald gets Satan pregnant’ storyline got tired fast.

They can just come up with an entirely new song–like they did for the Titties and Dragons episode. Afterall, they have each won multiple Tony awards and a Grammy. They’ll have no problem adjusting or rewriting the theme song if that’s what they decide to do.

Fair enough.

At any rate, I’d expect “South America” to be the show’s name for a very limited amount of time. The merchandising revenues from that show likely far exceed whatever Comedy Central (Paramount) pays them for the right to show the episodes. “South America” just won’t sell as well, outside a few items that hardcore collectors will want.

Absolutely. I have no doubts this is just a temporary thing.

I hope this is related enough to discuss…

But I got to thinking… How much security must Matt and Trey have??? The are fabulously rich (target for mischief), famously offensive to everyone (probably got a lot of nutcases who would love to come for them) and they don’t seem to be reclusive. They gotta have a crew like the Secret Service swarming around them all the time I bet.

It wouldn’t be that hard. Just move the Goin’ to a pickup note. So instead of “|Go-in’ Down to South Park”, it becomes “Go-in | Down to South Am-er-ica, gonna have ourselves a time.”

Yeah, that would work. (Particularly if it’s not a permanent change, as we’ve speculated here.)

My coworkers pointed out to me that I’m like Mr. Mackey. They said it’s the tone in my voice when he says “M’kay.” Does anyone else incidentally resemble a character?