Southern Comfort recipes

A friend gave me a bottle of Southern Comfort. Drinking it straight is unthinkable, seeing as it’s Southern Comfort and all. Post your favorite recipes!

The same thing happened to me! Thanks for starting this thread.

:Sits back holding his bottle of SoCo and glass filled with ice.:

Southern Comfort is the closest thing to whiskey that I’ll drink.

It’s good with coke or orange juice. Webtender.com has a ton of cocktail recipes for SoCo.

My favorite is a “Slow Comfortable Screw”.

Mix sloe gin & Southern Comfort (1/2 shot each, I suppose, I never measure) & top off with orange juice. Very tasty, and sneaky. :slight_smile:

I make a great deep-dish Southern Comfort Peach Pie. That’s the only reason I’ll allow that stuff in my house.

I’ve used it in hot toddys.

SoCo is one of the few liquors I’ll drink straight (as in sipping, not shots). However, it’s actually surprisingly good with iced tea, which some of my friends and I figured out during our college years when you never knew what kind of booze or mixers would be about. Cranberry juice is good as well - the tartness of the cranberry and the sweetness of Southern Comfort compliment each other well.

I don’t like it with soda, as I find it to be too sweet, but I know a few people who like it with root beer or Dr. Pepper.

Southern Comfort is surprisingly amazing for a liquor so affordable (read: reasonably cheap for us college types). I will drink it straight or mixed with just about any soft drink that’s around… SoCo and Sprite is actually a personal favorite.

My husband likes his SoCo chilled with a twist of lemon. He also makes a caramel apple pie with it.

The stuff tastes like cough syrup, if you ask me.

Please share this recipe, if you could!

Back in college, I once had a drink we just called “comfort”. About three parts Southern Comfort to one part Northern Comfort. I most heartily do not recommend it, but then again I’m not a big fan of Southern Comfort by itself either. Five points if anyone wants to come up with a better name for it.

How about “Guagghhhkk”? At least that’s the noise I’d make if I drank maple syrup. With or without booze mixed in.

I’ll mix SC with cranberry juice, mostly. IRC, it’s also decent with ginger ale.

My aunt makes a Southern Comfort Cake, really dense with nuts. Like a fruitcake, but edible.

I like Southern Comfort. In fact, my favorite cocktail is a Comfort Sour. You can make it with bottled sour mix. If I have any MinuteMaid Lemonade or Limeade around (the frozen concentrated stuff) I make them with that and a wee bit of Triple Sec.

I also like to put a shot of Southern Comfort in a cup of Constant Comment tea on a chilly evening.

:: runs screaming from the thread, holding his mouth ::

Not that there’s anything inherently wrong with it. Bad experience, thanks to our own demo.

Recipe, please. :smiley:

Off the top of my head -

Quick and Simple Southern Comfort Deep Dish Peach Pie.
(Note: Home-made crust would kick this into the “decadent” column, but I just can’t be arsed to make it!)

1- 2pack pre-made deep dish pie crusts, frozen.
1.5 Tbs. cinnamon
.25 cup brown sugar
.25 cup slivered almonds
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup Southern Comfort

Bake one crust for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Let the other one thaw.

Fill partially baked crust with sliced peaches. Fresh is best, but you can use canned just as easily, as long as you drain them well. In a mixing bowl, combine cinnamon, brown sugar, slivered almonds. Scatter mixture over the peaches. Dot filling with pats of butter. Pour Southern Comfort over the whole mess. Take the other pie crust, and invert it over the pie. Press the crusts together to seal. Cut small vent holes in top crust. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, or until nice and brown on top. Let cool, slice and serve with ice cream (home-made peach ice cream is best.)

The alcohol all boils off, so you can even serve this to your Southern Baptist grandmother. :smiley:

You can also substitute Southern Comfort for the rum in the Bacardi rum cake recipe.

One of these days I’m going to try making a mint julep with Southern Comfort, since the original recipe called for peach brandy and SoCo is essentially peach-flavored whiskey.

I use it in marmalade.