"Spanish Flea" a TV theme?

OK, now for the truly inane.

For the life of me, I thought “Spanish Flea” by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass was used as a game show theme. No insult to Herb and the boys.

So, I looked around, and I couldn’t find any link.

Am I totally hallucinating? I mean, this is almost worth digging up some money to start a smarmy “Dating Game” type show, just so I can use “Spanish Flea” as the theme.

Actually you’re close. I’m sure Spanish Flea was used as the theme for either The Dating Game or The Newlywed Game, although I can’t remember which.

…and it also played over the end credits of an episode of The Simpsons (the one where Homer and Bart go to the Superbowl and meet Rupert Murdoch).

I downloaded the themes from both the Dating Game and the Newlywed Game from Napster. Maybe it was a different era of the shows, but neither were Spanish Flea.

Also in the episode where Bart goes to see Spinal Tap, Homer sings a good bit of the song.

BTW, I now have “Spanish Flea” stuck fast in my mind…I hope you all smoke a turd in hell :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think “Spanish Flea” was ever the theme song of either “Newlywed Game” or “Dating Game,” but I think “The Dating Game” used it as incidental music while the bachelorette made up her mind, and while the announcer described the wonderful vacation to Burbank or Inglewood that the lucky couple would get to go on.

I remember Spanish Flea being played on The Dating Game; but I think *astorian is right, that it was incidental music.

Speaking of odd themes, I seem to remember Family Film Festival hosted by “Popeye” Tom Hatten on L.A.'s KTLA channrl 5 used Industrial Disease for a theme for a while.

I work with a guy who’s a guitarist in a mariachi band in his spare time. He says they refuse to play Spanish Flea when it’s requested because “it’s not a real Mexican song.”