Speeding on toll roads

If you are driving on a toll road - one on which you need a transponder, or where your license plate is scanned - can you be ticketed (for speeding) for passing two checkpoints/entrances/exits (or wherever you are scanned) below a certain minimum time?

Back in the days of a divided Germany, there were three(?) highways that led from West Germany to Berlin, through East German territory. The East Germans would determine your travel time (you were supposed to drive the 100 mi/160 km non-stop) to be sure that you weren’t making any stops (presumably for something illegal). If your travel time was too long - you could be subject to
questioning in a little more detail at the other end.

There was a recent thread on this. IIRC, the answer is that it’s definitely possible to implement, but currently few places have put into place anything like it for legislative or political reasons.

ETA - here’s the previous thread

You could, yes, but it is not allowed in Illinois. In fact, speeding is loosely enforced on our toll roads because they want to encourage people to use them. I’ve been commuting to work via I-294 for several years. I set my cruise control for 85 MPH, and I have never had a problem with the police. Going home, of course, traffic is significantly heavier, so I drive slower.

I wonder how much is police don’t want to do that as it would catch cops speeding during off duty driving/ hinder their ability to drive freely off duty.

Off duty cops pulled over for speeding are generally not ticketed. That’s how it goes where I was raised, anyway.

aka Do as I say, not as I do. Good old boy syndrome.

Cops don’t want to end up pulling over another cop, therefore they don’t pull over anyone?
I don’t think you have to wonder about that.

Maybe a little wondering would help. Cops pulling over other cops may result in a pull over but rarely result in a ticket for them. A electronic ticket system would take ‘professional courtesy’ out of the equation and cops would be ticketed just like anyone else, which they would not want.

Oh, I see. You were looking at the tickets being issued due to automation. My bad.
But I still don’t see the ticketing of off duty cops to be a factor.

I think every toll road in the country that adopted the ticket system (or later, electronic tolling) was the subject of a rumor that the tickets were used for speed enforcement, complete with stories about how it definitely 100% happened to a friend’s cousin’s hairdresser’s brother, but I don’t think any of them ever actually did it.

The last time I drove on a toll road, road construction limited 2/3 of our tolled trip to one lane at 40 mph. I was not on a tight schedule, but I wondered how all those truck drivers felt about paying to drive so slowly.

Last time I drove on a toll road was back in the aughts, going to Kansas City from Topeka. The cops would pass you if you were going under 90mph. If I remember correctly, the speed limit was 70mph at the time. Never got a speeding ticket for getting from one gate to another to fast. They charged based on miles anyway. The toll ticket had your entry gate, no time stamp

ETA, oops, you meant an automated toll booth, didn’t read the op thoroughly enough