Spelling weird wierd

Please for the love of all that is good in this world.
Weird is spelled WEIRD . An easy way to remember this is to think “We are weird”. See then you remember that weird starts with a W and then an E…not an I, An E for goodness sakes.

That is all

Excellent point. it is wierd when someone does make that mistake.

Ok, I can add grammer and capitalization to my list of things I need to work on. :wally

I don’t mind spelling mistakes so long as the punctuation is right, personally.

Didn’t you ever get taught
’ I before E except after C’

I blame that phraise for causing my dyslexia :wink:

Thanks for the tip. If I don’t use a spell check, weird is one of the many words I always miss. Your little saying will hopefully get me to spell it right on occasion.

Another handy one is friend. Just remember to “Fri (fry) your friends!”

Ok, I’ve spell-checked twice, previewed once, let’s see if I can post this without spelling anything wrong…

Wow, your first-grade teacher had a more twisted sense of humor than mine. Mine taught us, “I am your friend till the end.”

:smack: What part of my brain remembers this?!

They’re both stupid ways to spell wired.

‘Or when it sounds like an A
As in “neighbor” and “weigh”’

In weird cases, this rule is insufficient. Neither science nor more leisurely pursuits can in good conscience seize upon the reason for this.

Preach it, sista! (Or brotha, as the case may be.)

Signed,

The poster often refered to as WierdDave

huh
I always thought it was Weirddaev

Calling you “WierdDave” is a clear-cut case of descrimination.

‘I’ before ‘e’ except after ‘c,’ or when sounding like ‘a,’ as in neighbor and weigh.
To do otherwise is weird. Or foreign.

Here’s the full, authoritative verse:

I before E except after C
or when sounded as A in “neighbor” and “weigh.”
But “their,” “weird,” and “either,”
“Foreign,” “seize,” “neither,”
“Leisure,” “forfeit,” and “height”
Are exceptions spelled right.

Don’t ask me where I learned that, but it’s been rattling around my brain for at least 20 years.

You left out a few:

In other words, the I before E rule sucks.

Being of a foreign persuasion, after reading “wierd” for the umpteenth time I started wondering whether it indeed was the correct spelling. Same goes for “villian” instead of “villain” and after a recent “viscous/viscious” thread my “vicious” spelling felt wonky all of a sudden.

There are two words I consistently CANNOT spell:

Guarantee, and Restaurant

No matter how many times I look them up and try to memorize them, I cannot spells those words.

Other than that I’m a pretty good speller. Certainly never had a problem spelling wierd.

:slight_smile:

Well, I guess I’ll admit that I have a huge problem remembering how to spell either. In fact I don’t evn know if that is correct. I always want to put extra i’s and e’s in it.
Plus, I use too many commas and right run on sentences. But, damn it, I can spell weird correctly.

Oh thank you, thanks you, luluBahrain for bringing attention to this common spelling mistake!! It’s one of my biggest pet peeves. Whenever I come across weird spelled “wierd” in a thread on the SDMB, I am so annoyed, I skip the rest of the message in which it appears.

Feel free to apply Gaudere’s Law to the previous post!