Spoil The New Dr Who For Me

I love Dr Who. But, I don’t have cable to watch it, high speed internet to download it, or money to buy it.

I gather from the episodes I have seen that the Daleks finally perfected time travel and had a big war with the Timelords. Originally, this left only the Doctor alive. But lately I hear rumors that the Master, the Rani, or the Meddling Monk may be back. In the episode “Dalek” we find the last Dalek alive. But then in the reality TV episode, we find the Emperor Dalek has survived.

So, please, give me details on the war and survivors. I also need details on any other significant revelations or additions to the Who universe.

The Cult of Skaro (a handful of Daleks with names) also survived; one of them managed to rescue Davros from the “Time-locked” Time War, at the cost of its sanity (to the extent that a Dalek is sane).

Also the Master managed to hide from the war and came back to trouble the Doctor (and I also have heard that the new season will feature the Meddling Monk) - no sign of the Rani yet (though rumors persist)

There are still other Daleks running around – several of them hid in the void between universes. And Davros was brought back too.

The Master did survive (well, he was brought back from the dead by the Timelords to fight the Time War). No word on the Rani or Monk – at least not yet.

Do you need cable to watch it? Around here, it’s being shown on PBS as well.

What’s the Master look like these days? Walking corpse or English gentleman? Has he begun a new cycle of regenerations (The council in The Five Doctors says they have the power to do this)?

Does the Doctor have any extra regenerations? I know some of the old episodes hinted at his having extra.

Er, these days he looks… dead. But before then, he looked like a British Prime Minister.

They have not yet addressed the possibility of the Doctor having extra regens – I suspect they won’t until and unless they need to. He’s got a couple more before they have to worry about it. And then they’ll just make something up – he’ll reverse the polarity of the neutron flow or something, and poof, more regens.

Like a British Prime Minister?

Dare one hope . . . Thatcher?

Regarding the regeneration issue (spoilered, just because it’s about the most recent season)

In the season finale, the Doctor “shunts” his regeneration energy (to avoid missing the good part of the episode) into his severed hand, resulting in the creation of a duplicate-but-half-human Doctor. This fixes the problem with the 8th doctor (Paul Gannon) claiming to be half-human - the 8th doctor was confused due to his recent regeneration and saw a brief glimpse of the future. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it

Wow – Andy, I like that answer. It’s total BS and retrofitting, but I like it! :smiley:

Thanks - glad you like it.

The latest incarnation of The Master was first played by Derek Jacobi (a doddering old perfessor type who didn’t know his true identity) and then regenerated into handsome young John Simm. He “died” at the end of season 3…he refused to regenerate so The Doctor would have to live with the guilt. His body was burned on a pyre, but a mysterious female hand retrieved his ring from the ashes as the credits rolled… (Dum-dum-dummmm!)

Here in the States, you can see it on cable on Sci-Fi or BBC America. BBC America typically is kinder in what gets cut to fit the episodes into an American “hour” of TV. We’re still waiting for the latest “Christmas Special”…

Paul McGann.

I think it’s better for everybody if we just forget the 8th Doctor entirely…

Why? Going by the one movie we have of him, I liked his acting and the writing was fair to good.

While I’m not overly fond of the Eighth Doctor movie, I’d recommend tracking down some of the Eighth Doctor audio dramas. BBC Radio 7 (formerly BBC7) aired a couple of seasons of adventures with him and a new companion, Lucie Miller. They were pretty good.

I finally got around to seeing this episode, and my impression was that he chose death over being the Doctor’s prisoner for life (which in his case would have been a very, very long time). The fact that the Master would never choose to end his own life had been a major plot point all of 5 or 10 minutes earlier, but apparently it was a better option than (a) not being the “Master” anymore and (b) spending several centuries with your worst enemy. The fact that his refusal to regenerate cause the Doctor grief was an unexpected bonus.

ETA: I thought the '90s TV movie with the Eighth Doctor had serious script problems, but I had no problem with D8 himself.

>How’d you do that?
>>I’m brilliant!
>But it shouldn’t have worked.
>>I’m the Doctor!
>Yes, but you can’t just…
>>Daleks! Run!
>Those aren’t Daleks, those are post boxes.
>>Who’s the Doctor here, me or you?

TWDuke Marvellous!

I’m actually not worried about it. It is canon (the Five Doctors) that the Council can grant extra regenerations. As the last known surviving Time Lord, it would make sense for them to give the Doctor a few extra.

In fact, as the last known surviving Time Lord he no longer has any restrictions at all, except self imposed ones.

Oops. Thanks.

That is an amazing (and eerie) encapsulation of the David Tennant Doctor. Is anyone else getting fed up of his quasi-omniscience?