Sports Journalists Don't Do Their Job Regarding God

Diogenes, give the world a break… once.

I just wish he’d answer my question. When you know everything, it’s only fair to let the rest of us in on your wisdom.

The evidence that a person’s religious convictions are a positive driving force to succeed would be the fact that the person being interviewed had just won.

A sports writer has nothing to gain by bashing an athlete’s convictions.

Well, another way to put it more relevant to sports would be “So, you claim God helped you cheat? Why are you admitting it now? And do you have any proof that God was involved in your cheating?” Because really, isn’t that exactly what they are saying? If God magically helps them win, that’s just as much cheating as if someone somehow strung a wire on the field and tripped an opposing player. Or those jerk fans who shine a laser pointer at the face of players on the team they aren’t a fan of.

The funny thing is, while they may mean it as a way to praise God, what they are actually doing is making an accusation against him of fixing the game.

Conversation I’d like to hear:

Athlete: I’d like to thank The Man Upstairs for all his support, and giving me the strength to win this game.

Reporter: Why did God screw you last week on your urine test? Why didn’t He help you beat the drunk driving conviction, or at the minimum prevent you from missing 4 games which equals around $6 million of this year’s salary?

Athlete: Well, in those times, I was weak and strayed from God’s Word.

Reporter: So why the hell would he help you this week but ignore you last week? Hey wait a sec, roll the tape. See, you thanked him last week too just after the game and before the conviction.

Athlete: Maybe he was busy, you know, God’s got a full 16 game schedule to watch.

Reporter: Also, in today’s game, Baltimore’s QB had his leg torn off, and the backup got intercepted 3 times. You’re telling me God helped you by killing Buchanan over there? He’s got 3 kids man! He’ll never play another down in his life, and he’s lucky even to be alive!

Cite for what?

Everything.

Now.

OK. Is there a way to link to the entire internet?

www.gofuckyourself.net, I think.

Well, if you’re looking for something more concrete, there’s this.

You made an assertion: namely that when one claims magical, external forces affect something, it is only fair that they provide a detailed account of how this might be.

Now Diogenes the Cynic’s ethereal notion of fairness seems to me as much a magical thing and a philosophical problem as anything else. So, let’s play by Dio rules — defend your account.

You surely don’t mean to tell me the great Diogenes the Cynic has two different sets of standards; one for himself and one for everyone else. Do your namesake proud!

I have no idea what you’re asking for. You want a cite for what it’s “fair” to ask about?

It’s fair to ask anything about the game, right? You disagree?

ETA what “double standard” are you talking about? I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about?

You made an assertion that people who make claims about God and athletic performance should have to explain how one affects the other.

I’m asking you to play by your own rules. Can you substantiate why they should have to explain that to you? Otherwise, you’re doing the very same thing you have cashiered them for.

Now, on to your explanation. We’re all waiting.

The guy that did that would get himself fired, and justifiably so. Networks generally prefer to avoid pissing off a majority of their audience. Advertisers wouldn’t be happy about that kind of thing either.

No, I didn’t. I said it was fair to ask them. I didn’t say they should have to answer.

I’m not a sports journalist but I am involved in the media, and I can assure you that journalists in the modern era are chronically short of time. So even if one of them wanted to call some random athlete on their witnessing (which they don’t, because almost nobody cares), they really don’t have the time to go questioning the player’s beliefs because they’ve got a million other things to do that are considerably more important.

The journalist’s job is to report the news, not interpret it or put their own views in there. That’s what columnists and feature writers are for.

A marvelous answer. But backpedaling all the same.

Not at all. You misrepresented what I said. I just reiterated my original statement.

I still don’t understand what you were even asking for.

If it makes you feel any better, I’ve never thought of sports reporters as journalists.

I’ll lay this out one more time, and then, if you still don’t understand, let’s take to IMHO to see if it’s really unclear or if you’re just evading the question, OK? (The fact that you said “I only said that they should be asked, I never said they had to answer,” while disingenuous, makes me think you understood the question just fine–but once more into the breach).

You said: when somebody says the magical, external forces affect the outcome of a game, it is only fair to make them make the link between God’s will and real world events explicit.

Of course, when talking about “fairness,” you, like the athletes you wish to be interrogated, are also talk about a not-at-all obvious, abstract notion that also requires explication.

Therefore, I ask you to do what you want the athletes to do: make it plain to us unbelievers how all this is supposed to work.

So, any time now, Dio

So what? “I’m seeing the ball really well” is also a factual claim without evidence, isn’t it?

The God stuff is irrelevant to sports. That’s is one reason it’s annoying when athletes preach, but this would waste time and contribute nothing but hostility. Do you want to see people embarrassed they can’t explain their beliefs? Does that seem like a worthwhile goal?

Why wouldn’t you propose that the journalists ask the athletes to provide evidence for their feelings?

I don’t believe this for a second. The bottom line is this: sports journalists don’t do their job regarding God because God has nothing to do with their job. And because setting out to offend people and dismiss their beliefs also has nothing to do with the job.