Sports Journalists Don't Do Their Job Regarding God

You never see a sports journalist question a player that claims God was with him.

How about this follow-up:
You just claimed that God deserves all the praise and that he was with you, what evidence do you have to support this claim or even that God exists?

These people are not journalists.

Well, it’s a touchy subject.

I’d rather have someone ask “So, did you pick the wrong Bible verse, Mr. Tebow?”

Of course, I’d also love to see a pitcher strike out a batter in a key situation and then point downward.

Ain’t likely to happen, unfortunately.

What would be the purpose of asking that? The audience doesn’t care.

I’m not sure it’s really part of the sports journalist’s job to go around questioning people’s faith.

Hey, if the athletes are going to go around saying that magical, external forces affected the game, then it’s only fair to ask them for more details.

If that’s the mainstream position, it’s not news.

Why? Do we ask about their theory of mathematics when they say they gave 110%? It’s mindless fluff.

I would like to get behind the OP’s point, but expecting anything intelligible or intelligent from athletes is a little unrealistic.

Not necessarily. Consider that typical fixed-duration bonds are “priced as percent”, and can fluctuate above or below par after issuance based on changes in market demand after the bonds were issued. Similarly, players typically play under fixed duration contract agreements extending at least one season and sometimes much longer, as opposed to game-to-game.

So by that analogy, one could interpret “giving 110%” as “playing 10% harder than my contract pays me to play, being as I am being paid exactly the league average salary and I got back 10% more ROI than the average player at my position would produce in the same game situation”.

I wonder why people think atheists are a bunch of grouchy killjoys.

On the other hand, if Obama was commenting to the press on passage of a health care bill and said “Our faith in God ensured this outcome”, that wouldn’t be a statement worthy of press followup?

Politicians do not get a pass on this sort of thing, mainly because the outcome of their proselytizing can be critical.

Athletes get by with proselytizing because of sports reporters 1) not wanting to rock the boat by offending the Godly and 2) the perception that it’s just a game and attempts by athletes to push their religious faith aren’t very important.

Except that if you’re trying to influence the public by constantly referring to how religious you are and painting religious slogans on yourself, you’re essentially demanding attention for this facet of your life, and perhaps you deserve to get some critical questions and commentary as well as the positive reinforcement that we occasionally see in sports coverage.

And because they don’t want to alienate the athletes to no purpose. That’s the real issue here. I do think that, as a thought experiment, it would be very interesting to read a reporter’s explanation of God as if it was a new concept. But it is not a sports journalist’s job to ask athletes to prove God helped them. It’s pointless in every conceivable way. Athletes are not theologians, you know, so the answers to these questions would probably not be very enlightening.

The OP’s asking for a passive type of evangelical atheism, not journalism. He might as well demand that reporters ask athletes why sports are important or why anyone should pay attention to them.

It’s still early, I’m sure the anti-athletics brigade will be along any second now.

Plus they never blame God when they fail… or even Satan! “I blame Satan for this 10 game losing streak. I have to pray harder!”

I blame Satan.

Cite?

Bullshit. The players are making factual claims for which there is no evidence.

If the player wants to say, “I feel as if God helped me and all praise should go to him,” it would be one thing. But they are making claims about reality. The journalist should follow-up on the player’s claims about the reality of what happened in the game.

It has nothing to do with atheism. It has to do with evidence and facts.

That’s not any different, in light of Moore’s paradox. Maybe the factfinding should start with yourself.

I blame Stan.

I think the best course of action for the sports journalist would be then to turn around and interview God Himself.

“So, God, we just spoke to Leroy Brown and he said that You helped him win the game. Comments?”

“Hell no! I had $50 riding on the other side! (Mike’s gonna be rubbing this in my face all week, I tell ya.) You know, I usually stay out of using My powers for these games, so the angels don’t think I’m cheating or anything, but I think I’m gonna smite him with some old fashioned boils and locusts for that remark.”

“There you have it. Back to Tim on the field.”