Spring Ahead Sun, Mar 12, 2023 @2:00am (Time Change of Clocks)

I’m so very happy to get the extra hour of daylight in the evening. Grilling dinner will begin again.

Cue my semi-annual “standard, daylight, split the difference, pick something else altogether, I don’t care, just pick something and STICK WITH IT” rant about the hassle of the time change. Aside from the number of timepieces in my household that don’t auto-update, it’s a pain to get pets sorted out on their changed meal schedule (and I gather that’s an issue with young children, too), and there’s been credible research suggesting health and safety impacts resulting from the shift-over. It’s just a waste of time and effort, too.

I use a headlight and grill year around.

And I’m sad because my body doesn’t want to change time, and I don’t want it to already be 8 a.m. when I wake up. But I can’t imagine there’s anything new to be said about the whole time change thing. Do me a favor, though, and try to store up your joy so you won’t resent mine in October when we get our hour back.

My “routine” varies by more than an hour per day now. I never notice the change, although I’d be happy to do away with it.

Me too on all counts.

I use lit charcoal. No wonder it takes you a year.

Haven’t you seen the ads for flashlights that can start fires?

Well, yeah, that’s how you light charcoal. You can’t cook directly with 'em. Except for small insects.

Back in 2019, there was pretty solid momentum among EU lawmakers toward getting rid of it. A few member countries were less enthusiastic, but real active steps were being taken despite their reluctance.

Then the pandemic happened and blew up the program.

Here’s hoping the return to normalcy means this gets resurrected. I was ecstatic at the news back in 2019 and have my fingers crossed again.

Ugh, I already have a busy weekend, and now I’ll be losing sleep over it, too? And just when I was finally able to commute in daylight in the mornings.

We’re going to a Reggae Festival at a brewery later tonight. Not looking forward to the morning.

I’m on board with getting rid of this time-changing nonsense, which I think is now likely the majority opinion. I am absolutely NOT on board with making Daylight Time the standard, which seems to be the preference among politicians. There’s a reason they call it “Standard Time”, folks – it’s because it’s standard!

I’ve made this point before and I believe got some pushback, but here’s my point. It’s called “Standard Time” because on average, within any given time zone, it most closely conforms to actual solar time – what the sun is actually doing up there in the sky in terms of day and night. I’ll give an example with reference to my location.

Right now we are just a bit less than halfway to summer solstice, so the days currently are just a bit less than 12 hours long and getting longer. By my calculations solar noon today occurred at precisely 12:19 PM, which is not noon by the clock but close enough. But observe what happens when we switch the clocks later tonight to what I refer to as “Deliberately Wrong Time”. Solar noon tomorrow will now occur at 1:19 PM clock time, which is absurd! It’s an excessive discrepancy between sunrise/sunset cycles and clock time, IMO. Daylight Time is an artificial invention, probably by Satan, that has long outlived any useful purpose it may ever have had.

Clocks are an artificial invention.

But whatever. Give me more daylight in the evening. Mornings I don’t need it.

But no matter what, this thread was just a reminder to people that might have forgot.

We’re about to lose our kitchen for a month, so grilling being easier is a huge plus. One of 3 reasons we were waiting until April to start the project. I also prefer not having the contractors leaving doors open as the can’t seem to help themselves in the winter and we have a big birthday party planned for my wife, much harder to do without a kitchen.

I’d be more okay with this if I weren’t having a terrible time sleeping right now. It won’t help.

And, absurdly, we’re now on “standard time” for well under half of the year.

Yes, timekeeping by clocks is somewhat arbitrary to begin with, but most of the things that have “normal times” for them, those times became normal for a reason. Like, if you’re going to have an 8-hour workday, we’ve already established that it works best for that workday to be from 9 AM to 5 PM. So, let’s have that.

Whichever the one is that gives more light at night is the better one. I guess that would be Daylight Saving Time. I don’t care what happens in the morning, I am actually awake and out in the evening.

But I really don’t care, the time change has never bothered me one bit. I usually don’t even realize it’s happened.

This article confirms that if and when this back-and-forth time change ceases, the standardization will likely be to Daylight Saving Time. Bah! But what do I know – I’m only a dog.

Agree completely.

i like it becuase it means its time for the weather to warm up