Springsteen's "The Rising"

I have never considered myself much of a Bruce Springsteen fan. Yeah, I like the songs “Born to Run,” “Born in the U.S.A.,” and all the other ubiquitous hits. Not to rub in my youth to anyone, but I was in kindergarten when “Born in the U.S.A.” was released.

But, after reading a few reviews and hearing from my friend who’s musical opinion I hold in very high regard, I decided to pick up “The Rising” when I had a few extra minutes to kill while on vacation this weekend.

Man, what a record! As someone who normally listens to Radiohead, The Hives and The White Stripes, it was unusual for me to pick up and listen to a straight-up rock record. But I’m so glad I did. Touching without being tacky and thoughtful without being vengeful (are you reading this, Toby Keith?), this album captured a lot of the feelings I had about Sept. 11 but was really unable to articulate. At the same time, all the songs speak on a more symbolic level that makes them more than “music inspired by the attacks of 9/11.” Like any good music, the songs on this album will remind individual people of events in their own lives wholly unrelated to terrorism.

The upbeat songs are catchy (having the E Street Band back in the mix has everything to do with that) and the slower ones still engage your brain even if they don’t make you wanna get up and dance.

So, yeah: Go out and get this album asap! I think it’s even inspired me to finally go out and get those Springsteen albums I don’t own (You can’t be a self-described music geek and go on without owning “Born to Run” at some point!)

I give it: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Yeah, Rolling Stone gave it five stars, which is the first time they’ve done that for an album this year.

Yeah, yeah, I know what I said about Rolling Stone over in the Pit, you wanna bitch about it, bitch in the Pit.

Springsteen does have that ability to have his songs relate to peoples individual lives without getting all weird about it.

Plus, he has never compromised his artistic vision, which is quite a rare thing these days.

It just picked it up, and feel similarly…

Its really gorgeous. particularly the title track.

As a side note, it just leap frogged over Wilco, the Flaming Lips, and Tom Waits for best reviewed album of the year at metacritic.com, which- if you haven’t seen it- compiles album reviews from the big meida sources into “meta-scores”. Its a fun site. Low standing doesn’t necessarily say much, cuz a couple of ignorant reviewers can ruin your score, but a really high score basically equals universal acclaim. Bruce took over the top spot in a day or two. I doubt anything else will chart higher this year.

Its damn good.

Chris (who was in third or fourth grade when Born in the U.S.A came out)

(spit take)

Radiohead, I get. They’re not rock. But the Hives and the White Stripes are channeling the Kinks, Led Zepplin, and a couple of other staples of rock. Hell, there was an article in Entertainment Weekly referecing these bands (along with the Strokes) and asking “does this wave of retrorock mean there’s no more innovation left in the genre?”

This is a fault of my own music dorkiness. I have a tendency to classify music into a ridiculous amount of genres and sub-genres and sub-sub-genres. I realize both groups are big throwbacks to the garage rock sound, but for some reason when I listen to them, I just don’t think, right away, “rock ‘n’ roll.”

The point is, and I’m sure you’ll agree with me on this mattcolville, is that none of those bands sound like Springsteen and the E Street Band at all. Springsteen is someone I’ve always associated more with my mom’s generation (she graduated high school the year “Born to Run” came out) so it’s somewhat unusual I’d pick up a brand new album from him.

I hear the radio playing the song “Come on over fer the Risun’” over and over and I can’t stand it. Same old crap from Bruce Twochords. No thanks.

Maybe someone will do a cover version and turn it into music. Where is Manfred Mann when you need him?

Okay, so you don’t agree with me.

I too was in kindergarten when Born in the U.S.A. came out. I, though, happen to be an incredibly huge Springsteen fan. I picked up a copy of the album today at lunch, and will get to listen to it tonight when I get home. I’m really looking forward to it, although the title track is starting to get a little old.

gatopescado, are you serious? Manfred Mann’s Blinded by the Light is a too long, over-produced, unoriginal, and uninspired piece of dreck. I mean, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I’ve always had a hard time understanding why Mr. Mann’s version (Mr. Mann… ha! That’s funny) is such a hit when the original isn’t even known by most people.

Overplayed song gettin’ ya down? Do what I do: Never ever listen to the radio. With the exception of a little NPR now and then, all the music I hear on the radio is the 20 seconds I hear from my alarm every morning. I also listen to some college radio online, but you won’t have to deal with overplayed songs on there (Though, come to think of it, my college station played Marley’s “Get Up, Stand Up” at least twice a day, I swear. Maybe I just remember it that way because I can’t stand most reggae.). :slight_smile:

I think the reason Mann’s version is so popular is because it’s one of the most infamous instances of misquoted lyrics. For years I thought he said “Wrapped up like a douche in the middle of the night.” There are numerous other variations.

Eonwe, what Springsteen albums do you recommend I get? I’ve been told “Born to Run,” “Nebraska,” and “Born in the U.S.A.” are staples and that “Lucky Town” and “Human Touch” are best avoided. Any thoughts?

This is a really great article about Bruce and the album. It also contains the recipie for a great Bruce Springsteen Mega-Mix… I’m compiling it as I write this.

Chris

What albums to get? Well, I can’t speak about Nebraska (the last album I’ve got to get before my collection’s complete), but definitely “Born to Run” and “Born in the U.S.A.” I’d also suggest “Live 1975-1985,” but it’s a little pricy.

Those are the albums which are pretty much accepted as his best, and are certainly the most “rockin’.” I also like “Tunnel of Love” quite a bit, but it’s quiet, slow, and depressing.

“Darkness on the Edge of Town.” Some wonderful songs, and a few I just can’t stand. I don’t like all of the mixes on this album, but hey, it’s raw and powerful, right? The title track, as well as “Racing in the Street,” are two of his finest songs, IMO.

“Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ,” is a good album (Bruce’s first, with Blinded by the Light being the leading track), but there are a number of clunkers mixed in.

“The Wild, the Innocent, and the E-Street Shuffle,” has a few very good songs (Rosalita, which is one of Bruce and the Band’s best), but also has some mediocre songs.

If I had to give you a top 5 list of albums to get it’d be:

Born to Run

Born in the U.S.A.

Live: 1975-1985

Darkness on the Edge of Town

Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ

Although, if you really liked The Rising perhaps you should get his new live album (released 2001) which absolutely rocks, and probably has a similar sound to The Rising, what with it being the “new” incarnation of the E-Street band and all that. I managed to catch one of the shows on the 2000 tour, and had the time of my life, and the album really captures the spirit of it all. I just wish they had selected a couple different songs to put on it. Actually, I’d probably suggest you get this album (Live in NY, or something like that) too.