Star Trek: Insurrection

I thought it was an OK movie, but not great. It seemed that there were too many lame jokes thrown in, but none that I can remember offhand except turning Data into a personal flotation device.

I always wondered why the flagship of the Federation was wasting it’s time on crap like this during the most devastating war in Federation history. A TNG movie where the Enterprise fights the Dominion would have been cool.

I think that this would have been seen as stepping on DS9’s storylines - they have a few obvious shoutouts to DS9 plots in Insurrection, but wanted to make it stand on its own and not crossover with DS9 storylines too much.

The pocket books didn’t have that problem, and I rather liked the ‘Dominion war’ four part series, which alternated between TNG and DS9 characters - the DS9 side was mostly a novelization of the episodes from ‘Call to Arms’ through ‘Sacrifice of Angels’; ie the plot arc at the start of the war where Sisko has to give up the station and let it be occupied by Gul Dukat for a few months.

At the same time, the TNG Enterprise crew were involved in a parallel plot arc where they had to stop a Dominion plot to construct a second wormhole to bring through Jem’Hadar reinforcements.