Star Trek Into Darkness Enterprise/ocean question

No spoiler here, since I don’t think it’s required.

Just how stupid was it to have the Enterprise sitting in an ocean at the beginning of the movie?

So not only is the ship experiencing the force of gravity from the planet, but also the pressure of the ocean water on it. Was the Enterprise ever meant to enter a world’s atmosphere?

At first I kinda rolled my eyes. Now I’m wondering just how dumb/not dumb it really was.

Well, the original series Enterprise survived entering Earth’s atmosphere in Tomorrow is Yesterday (you can see the nearby jet fighter to the lower left). Being underwater’s a lot more problematic though.

Relevant Futurama scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4RLOo6bchU

thirdname, that’s exactly what I was thinking, too.

In the new Star Treks, are the shields a sphere around the ship or are they tightly hugging the ship’s contours? If the latter, maybe the shields were up and that was enough.

I think it’s still a sphere, and that’s not the answer. Probably it’s just the future super-materials it’s made from can withstand the pressure.

It’s not an Apollo capsule made out of tinfoil. It is made out of “tri-titanium”, a fictional transuranic element with a name that implies it has all the benefits of titanium, but better. It is designed to travel at high g’s and take direct hits from large weapons at close range even without shields. If it can’t take water pressure, it has no business getting into a fight.

And it was still a stupid scene!

:shakes fist: curse you, I wanted to post that!

There’s also a “structural integrity field” that runs through the hull and makes it really, really hard. If it can stand up to stresses of accelerating past the speed of light in seconds, handling being submerged is probably no problem.

Didn’t Voyager once land on a planet? Sure, Voyager takes place over a hundred years later, but it can indicate that the idea of big starships entering the atmosphere is not completely absurd in the ST universe.

If your starship cannae take the pressure of the ocean, how’s it gonna take the pressure of a warp field?</fanwank>

I think I have misunderstood Warp technology all this time. I was thinking the ship was in a warp bubble, so didn’t see any stresses or high pressures.

Still seems a dumb plot to have the ship sitting in an ocean, vs a nice little shuttle craft or three.

A F15 Eagle is designed to handle the stress of high-g maneuvers. But that doesn’t mean you can fly one underwater. It’s a whole different package of stresses.

No, you are correct. A warp drive works by doing weird things to the space around the ship, not the space occupied by the ship itself. Otherwise it wouldn’t matter how tough the ship was, if the warp field just started gibbing the crew.

We saw the Enterprise being constructed in Kansas in the first film. So it can definitely land. I’m not too clear on how it could stay upright once it does so, though.

Not only that, but they flew around in liquid space to fight off species 8472.

Man, it’s one thing to be able to withstand the pressure of a single ocean, but to be able to handle the pressure of an entire universe is quite impressive to say the least.

Abrams’ Trek movies make a lot more sense if you assume that the characters aren’t motivated by such mundane concerns like “rational thought” or “sensible courses of action” or “scientific plausibility” or “minimal competence,” but rather by “what would look TOTALLY RAD!!!11 when CGI-vomited all over a giant screen.”

That’s the only way Spock chasing CumberKhan all over San Francisco when he had like 70 perfectly good sources of Anti-Death Blood sitting in his cargo hold makes any sense, anyway.

Well, given that it would be an entire universe, the pressure would likely be a quasi-constant. Even if it were infinite in mass, it would be spread over infinite space, so the pressure would equalize at whatever the set cosmological constant.

Physics wanking aside, it’s not too dumb as a story point.

What’s dumb is Spock getting so worked up about revealing the ship to the natives and thus breaking the Prime Directive that he’s ready to sacrifice himself. But you already broke the Prime Directive when you decided to save them from the volcano with your gee wiz magic space technology. The whole movie is jam packed with fridge logic like that.

According to “Who mourns for Adonis”, the ship can withstand at least 1000 GSC…whatever the **** that is. And they can compensate for external pressures.

Nitpick: It was Iowa.