Star Trek: What if the Federation became highly militarized

I always thought the Redshirt Security Service/Internal Police Force gave the Enterprise a nice totalitarian sort of feel. Maybe this was why everyone on board was so gung-ho about the Federation and its Mary Worth missions.

The Federation did become highly militarized after the Borg almost took Earth.

In TNG’s Redemption Part II we see the Federation fleet that is supposed to stop the Romulans from joining in on the Klingon Civil War: twenty-three ships. By the time of the Dominion War, a fleet was hundreds of ships. By the end of Voyager Starfleet is able to bring 27 ships to bear on intruders to Sector 001.

Starfleet also developed a lot of new military technology: new ships (most notably the Defiant), new weapons (the quantum torpedo and pulse phasers), new sidearms (two new phaser rifle variants and the rifle that fired conventional bullets but delivered them by transporter, Worf’s bazooka), new uniforms (black and grey being a lot harder to hit than bright red), et cetera. When there is a civil crisis on Earth (DS9 Homefront/Paradise Lost), armed Starfleet soldiers are beaming onto the streets of New Orleans in moments.

Person Nell.

Thanks Data.

I recall the weapon, but I thought that was some guy who made it as a murder weapon. Was it standard Starfleet issue?

The weapon was a prototype; the murderer made his own modifications: TR-116 rifle | Memory Alpha | Fandom

Spock Prime and Nero’s Romulans are from post-Voyager, so I guess they just messed with J Jabrams red goo and stuff in that era.

The Federation seems to hang it’s hat on diplomatic aggression than outright use of force. More like we are here with our best and most advanced starships, do you want to discuss anything?