Starbuck's "Moonlight Feels Right"- what's a tricky french connection?

Small sample of lyric-

The wind blew some luck in my direction
I caught it in my hands today
I finally made a tricky French connection
You winked and gave me your o.k.

The song goes on to say the girl in question is from Ole MIss, so the girl being French seems out, as well as the connection to the movie- I can’t imagine a song of this type referencing heroin, even in the days of disco. Anyone know?

Dude, it was the 70s. People had no fear of making gratuitous drug references. After all, the whole Disco thing was fuel by cocaine. It made you sound hip, except there was nothing Starbuck could do to sound hip.

How can you NOT love a song with a xylophone solo??

I gotta have more xylophone, baby!

My guess? A french kiss.

I was thinking oral sex. Note the appearance of the word “blew” in the same verse.

Agreed- awesome solo!

I got a fever! And the only prescription… is more xylophone!

I also like the chuckles at the end of the verses.

Sorry, it’s one of my favorite 70s songs. :slight_smile: Wait, what am I apologizing for??

Not to mention:

The eastern moon looks ready for a wet kiss,
To make the tide rise again.

STOP looking at me that way!

I couldn’t get Starbuck so Andy Kim is Rocking Me Gently instead.

All these songs are merged in my mind. “Moonlight Feels Right,” “Rock Me Gently,” “The Year of the Cat,” . . . it’s all one big blur in my mind. Were these ever different songs, or was all we did in the 1970’s was listen to a continuous background track that consisted of all these sorts of lyrics played continuously? Later someone tried to persuade us that these were actually different songs, but maybe that’s historical revisionism.

I hope you have “Undercover Angel” in there somewhere.

Bah. “Angel” couldn’t even hold “Moonlight”'s or “Year of the Cat”'s jock.

I don’t know if the videos are still available on the internets, but if so you guys should all look for Yacht Rock, it the funniest thing I’ve seen in the last year.

Agree- Angel was pretty much a novelty tune- Cat and Moonlight are classics that hold up.

Here is episode one, and I’m sure all the others are there as well.

What a wonderful time to be alive.

“Angel” is just half a step above “Telephone Man.” <queasy smiley>

are you sure it’s French connection? i always thought i heard it as “first connection” – which would be a lot more logical.

I just listened to it very carefully, and it’s definitely “french.”

I have no answer, but can I just tell you all that I loooooove this song? The way the guy kinda chuckles in it, plus it’s from my childhood, plus it’s one of those songs that evokes a warm Southern night to me. I have it on my best of the '70s CD and I listen to it in the car all the time. :slight_smile:

I just listened Alan O’Day again. Just for you guys…

Of course, I am now listening to the Fat Boys version of “Wipe Out” so that’s not saying much…