Starbuck's "Moonlight Feels Right"- what's a tricky french connection?

It’s a cocktail combining amaretto and cognac.

Obviously she liked the drink, hence the wink and “OK”.

How this classic only hit #81 in the states, is one of the mysteries of 70’s pop- “Arms of Mary” Sutherland brothers. Dig that beret, and anyone know what kind of guitar that is (close up at 1:14)?

“Arms Of Mary” is a US cover by the above group. The original is by the Canadian group Chilliwack, whose version is quite a bit better than the Sutherland Bros. one. They’re probably still playing it on the radio up there. I can’t tell you what chart number it hit, because there is no national chart website for Canadian music, and oddly, it didn’t get on the CHUM (Toronto) playlist, as it’s not in the CHUM Chart Book. Incidentally, it’s one of several songs Bill Henderson wrote about his Mary over the years, and included her in the title and/or lyrics.

Interesting! Is there a link online for the original anywhere?

Not that I’m aware of. I’d send you a PM, but it looks like you have that function disabled. You could send me one, if you like.

I’m loving ALL of these songs, the one-hit wonders, they all take me back to the early teens. Og, I feel old!

Done, I think I did it right…

I like Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves, but it’s not a good fit on the CD I listed. The other song that doesn’t work on that particular CD is the Grand Funk Railway.

If I was re-doing it (and I may someday) I’d replace those two with Ventura Highway (America) and Cool Change (Little River Band) (Great song, possibly one of the worst lyrics ever: “The albatross and the whales, they are my brothers.”)

I think those replacements would make it more of a light, summer drive CD, which is the feel I was going for.

I do this often as well- compile a 70’s CD that I think goes together, but invariably one or two won’t gel with the others…

The woman is the actual singer’s (R.I.P.) wife! It may be as simple as a French (tongue) kiss, or a drug buy (a la the eponymous, 1971, movie, starring Gene Hackman), or it has to do with a sex act (ref: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20French%20Connection).

(part 2 of 3; the site screwed-up my edits!)

Third, if you don’t like that explanation, we can get a little raunchy by saying that it may be as simple as a French (tongue) kiss (but, why would he kiss her, and then get a wink and “okay”?), or a drug buy (a la the eponymous, 1971, movie, starring Gene Hackman; which may be “proven,” if you believe that “dose a potion” refers to taking drugs, though it may be nothing more than champagne or such), or it has to do with a sex act (ref: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20French%20Connection; but, if it took three times just to get her to go out with him, why would she agree to such an act, and, pre-gangsta rap, who would write such about his own wife?).

(part 3 of 3)

And, nothing of nothing, but, some, here, have implied that this was a disco song. Although it, originally, aired in the late 70s during the disco era, its genre was pop rock, and devoid of the staccato music and thumping bass usually associated with disco.

So, there’s my take on the song, which is one of my favorites (I was in college when it aired).

…that weird feeling when you unknowingly click on a zombie thread, not noticing dates, and see the first reply to the OP is a doper who’s been dead for over a year :astonished:

(RIP, dropzone)