State or country: Which would you choose?

In another thread we’ve been talking about secession in the abstract. But I’m wondering what people’s opinions are on a personal basis.

Let’s say that a constitutional amendment has made it legal for a state to secede. So the United States will not be sending in troops. But states that secede will obviously become foreign countries, presumedly with decent relations with the USA - let’s say the equivalent of Canada or Mexico; you can cross the border and visit fairly relatively freely.

Now let’s say, for the sake of argument, that only one state decides to use this option - your state. The vote was held and the majority decided to secede and form their own country. It’s a done deal. But there’s a one year grace period where people can leave the state and keep their American citizenship.

So here’s the survey:

1 - What state do you live in?
2 - Would you have voted to stay in the United States or secede?
3 - Would you stay and become a citizen of your new country or relocate to the US and stay an American citizen?
4 - If you relocated, what state would you move to?
5 - What factors would affect your decision?

My personal responses:

1 - New York
2 - I’d have voted in the minority to stay part of the USA.
3 - And I’d stick by that. I’d move to another state and start over.
4 - Most likely Vermont or Texas as those are the two states I’m most familiar with.
5 - One big factor would be my job - I work for the state of New York so I’d have to retire if I moved. And most of my family lives in New York so I’d be in a different country from them if they stayed.

1 - Tennessee
2 - Stay with the US
3 - I live twenty miles from the Georgia border. I’d be there within a half hour of the announcement of secession.
4 - Georgia at first. Probably Oregon after that. I lived there previously and loved it.
5 - Most of my family is in Tennessee and though I think (hope) most of them would move, I am fairly certain my stepmother wouldn’t and do not know if my dad would stay with her or move as well. Besides that, I have absolutely no issue leaving the state behind.

1. Missouri

2. Depends on whether I think I’d have a better life in the new country or the old.

3. See 2.

4. I can’t really say; I’ve never traveled much, and the only other state I’ve ever lived in was Illinois, which I hated with a white-hot passion; my husband says Washington state is really nice, and they have lots of trees, so I might go there.

5. Taxes, cost of living, laws, type of government that gets instituted; I’ll go wherever I think I’ll have a better deal. If nothing much is going to change I’d probably just stay here.

1. Massachussetts

2. Stay, not secede

3. I would be so outta here

4. Probably New York, where I’m from

5. The newly independent country of Mass. wouldn’t have a big enough economy to wing it by itself, it would become a New England banana republic. I wouldn’t be interested in living/enabling that.

1. Texas
  2. Stay in the US
  3. I’d move immediately
  4. Probably California or Arizona
  5. The idea of President Rick Perry. He’s already told gay people to leave the state.

1 : California

2 : Probably secede. America long term looks like a sinking ship to me, and states breaking off likely won’t make it any healthier. Not that I give great odds of California doing incredibly better, mind.

3 : Stay.

4 : N/A

5 : The power of conservatism and fundie religion the US, which while bad in California is worse in much of the US. The increasing corruption, destructiveness and irrationality of America. Having to support the red states with our tax money while they whine about high taxes.

1 - Georgia
2 - Secede
3 - Get the hell out of dodge
4 - North Carolina or Virginia.
5 - Moving wouldn’t be that big a hassle, and having a state secede would be really cool. We’d have a hell of a lot fewer creationists in the union, and there’d be a giant backlash against the morons who started the secessionist movement.

1 - Florida
2 - Secede (We have seceded where others failed)
3 - Stay and become a citizen of my new country
4 - N/A
5 - I would stay when the feds start respecting the 10th amendment and do only which powers have been specifically delegated to them…

1 - What state do you live in?
Arizona

2 - Would you have voted to stay in the United States or secede?
Secede

3 - Would you stay and become a citizen of your new country or relocate to the US and stay an American citizen?
Probably stay, but depends upon who becomes the first President of AZ. :smiley: Hell, I might run for King.

4 - If you relocated, what state would you move to?
N/A

5 - What factors would affect your decision? Not optimistic about the long-term future of the U.S., I’m afraid.

1 - What state do you live in? California

2 - Would you have voted to stay in the United States or secede? We are so outta here!

3 - Would you stay and become a citizen of your new country or relocate to the US and stay an American citizen? Stay

4 - If you relocated, what state would you move to? n/a

5 - What factors would affect your decision? On our own, we are the 5th largest economy on the planet. So long as I can head to Vegas easily, I have no problems leaving the rest of the country to go its own way. We have the industry, the technology, the ports, the infrastructure, the agriculture, etc. What do we need the rest of you clowns for? :smiley:

Maybe to escape the earthquakes, mud slides, wildfires, the 405 congestion and the, well, strange people? :smiley:

Not to turn this into a great debate but the country you’re in now is the first largest economy on the planet. Why take a downgrade?

Let’s see…we get rid of: Federal Regulations, GWB et al, Washington DC and all it entails, Homeland Security, the entire East Coast and all it entails, etc. etc. I will miss Carolina BBQ, but I can make it myself if I have to. I figure getting rid of Federal controls will boost our economy about 300%, without having to compromise on the environment or product safety. We have enough tree-huggers and the like to make sure of that. Piss on anything east of Amarillo, and view with suspicion anything east of Las Vegas. :smiley:

If we could re-enter America without penalty, I would vote to secede until at least 2009 – or more likely later, whenever we get out of the Iraq morass.

Actually, maybe longer. America has become the world’s bully, and I think we need to take some of it’s toys away.

This topic genuinely gives me anxiety, it would be so traumatic for me if it happened.

1 - What state do you live in? New York
2 - Would you have voted to stay in the United States or secede? **Most likely vote to stay, although it would depend somewhat on reasons for secession. **
3 - Would you stay and become a citizen of your new country or relocate to the US and stay an American citizen? Despite voting federalist, I would most likely feel compelled to stay and give it a go (I feel part of most voting is the commitment to try to make things work regardless of whether the vote goes my way). Emotionally, I would want to stay.
4 - If you relocated, what state would you move to? **If I relocated, it wouldn’t really matter what state because I would be so morose about the whole thing. I would probably look for a community of “ex-pat” federalist former NYers. **
5 - What factors would affect your decision? The reasons for secession. If it ran on a “New York: For God-fearing, White, Heterosexual People!” platform, I’d be packing my things. Most anything else, I’d want to stay in New York.

1. Ohio.
  2. I would unhesitatingly vote to stay part of the United States.
  3. Relocate, with much wailing and gnashing of teeth.
  4. Maybe Vermont, where my wife’s from? A great state. I also like Pittsburgh, which wouldn’t be such a long trip for visits to the new Buckeye Republic.
  5. Fortunately, I cannot conceive in my wildest dreams of what might lead Ohio - or any other state - to secede. Secession was a profoundly bad idea in 1860-65, and it would be just as bad today. E Pluribus Unum! Lincoln wrote after Ohio elected a pro-Union during the Civil War that “Ohio has saved the Union,” and I’d hate to see Ohio destroy the Union today.

That should be “elected a pro-Union governor.”

1. Vermont.
  2. Secede. Time to get out when the gettin’s good…or at least not bad.
  3. Well, as much as I would like to stay, there are very few jobd in my field here. When I’m done wit school, I know I have to leave, so remain a US citizen it is.
  4. Wherever I can get a job. Big locales for my field include California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and a few others.
  5. As I said, my career is the primary motivating factor in having to leave. Other factors include my fed-upishness with winter. :stuck_out_tongue:

Long live the Bear Flag Republic!