Stay away from Glocks?

Chris’s Firearms Opinions - Glock Pistols updated 2/16/2002

Do Glocks have better safeties now than when this article was posted?

Glocks have always had the same safety- a small lever in the trigger that blocks the trigger unless you have a finger in position to pull. If just the edge of the trigger is pulled(like catching on cloth), the secondary lever blocks the trigger.

There’s also a firing pin block to prevent discharge if the gun is dropped.

It comes down to one of the basic rules. Never place your finger on the trigger until you are going to shoot.

I know very, very little about guns. I own a Glock, it was a gift from someone else and due to an issue with it (needs a part) I’ve only shot it a handful of times. I’ve shot a few other guns. All said, I’ve shot a few hundred rounds and that’s about it. Having said that, I don’t like that Glocks don’t have safeties in the traditional sense of the word. If you go to their site, they’ll talk about the ‘triple safety’. Glock fanboys will tell you that it WILL NOT go off unless you pull the trigger blah blah blah, but I’d really like it if there was a little switch that would make it so you couldn’t pull the trigger by accident.
There is, however an aftermarket safety you can get for it. It’s a new trigger that you replace the old one with that includes a little button. That has to be pushed before the gun will shoot.

I have no intention of walking around with mine loaded and if I wanted to CC mine, I’d get a smaller gun anyways (which would likely have a safety)

Anyways, I don’t know what the old ones looked like, but on mine, I know (from what I’ve been told) it WILL NOT go off unless the trigger is pulled, but there’s nothing stopping the trigger from accidentally being pulled, say, if it gets snagged on something, someone uses the wrong holster, you pick it up wrong, who knows. I know, I know, you shouldn’t tuck it in your pants (but people do), you shouldn’t put in in your purse (but people do), you should use a holster that doesn’t cover the trigger (but people do). But as someone with very little experience, I even worry about picking it up wrong, or just plain doing something stupid.

One article claims Glocks are dangerous even in the hands of law enforcement officers, and that they cause enough problems they had to be modified.

Compare that with the actual rates of Glocks being issued to law enforcement officers. It’s not an opinion, its literal fact that a 9mm Glock variant the standard issue weapon for most major police departments.

The reason is simple. When you want to shoot, nothing stops you from shooting if you’re holding a glock. When you don’t want to shoot, it doesn’t shoot. The only people who have “accidents” with a glock literally have their finger in a firing position on the trigger, and are pointing the weapon at a human. There’s no other way for an accident to happen with a glock.

On the flipside, plenty of people, including law enforcement officers, have drawn their weapon and tried to fire, to no effect, because the goddamn safety is a lever or button on the grip instead of something ergonomically designed into the function of the machine. Glocks won’t ever “accidentally” fire. If you don’t believe me, try finding any successful lawsuit against Glock over their lack of a grip safety. The only “kind of” hit you’ll get is a case that was originally dismissed, but has since been allowed to proceed (with no final outcome yet) in which a guy left his gun out and his son picked it up and fired it.

Glocks won’t fire unless you pull the trigger while holding it in a “fire” position. It’s the most reliable weapon currently in production. Grip safeties are not adequate protection against a dumbass mishandling his gun, and Glocks in general are not involved in gun accidents at any higher rate than other guns.

If you want a pistol that you actually want to shoot, get a Glock.

Keep your finger off the trigger
Never point a gun at anything you’re not willing to kill or destroy
Treat every gun as if it is loaded, even when you’re sure it is not
Be sure of your target, and beyond
When you see people on TV or movies walking around with their fingers on their triggers, those people (and the Director) are morons who are ignorant of gun safety.

“Professionals” who draw a weapon with their finger on the trigger are likewise idiots who need additional training. Please don’t try to tell me that all LEOs are highly trained in the use of their weapons and weapons safety. I know otherwise.

Listen to this guy.

Keeping your finger off the trigger unless you are actively shooting is literally gun safety’s number one rule.

As a Glock owner, I am used to the trigger safety. I actually like it as it helps to reset your trigger finger to exactly where the gun will fire quickly.

As always, be safe with your firearms. Educate yourself and anyone who may come in contact with your weapon about safety with any firearm.

I don’t own one, and this doesn’t apply to cops, but why keep a round in the chamber otherwise? I’m not a fan of semi-auto pistols, I like wheel guns, but it seems unnecessary to keep a round chambered with a finicky handgun.

Finicky?
You keep a round chambered because you can be in a situation where you need to draw and shoot now. The delay to rack the slide may be the margin that spells the difference. This is cop on the street or citizen with a concealed weapon. In the home, not so much.

Also, in addition to that, there’s no need to wonder if you have one chambered. Same reason a lot of people that CC will leave the safety off. No wondering if it’s on or off, no extra step to turn it off if it’s on. Also, some people carry different guns which employ different styles of safeties (safe could be up or back or down or on the other side of the gun etc) and this way you can take it out and shoot and not have to think.

Also, WRT not having a chambered round, and again, mentioning that I’m not even a little bit skilled with a gun, the recoil spring on my Glock is damn stiff. If my hands were at all slippery. Let’s say I was eating a pizza, there’s no way I could chamber a round with any kind of speed. I’d be surprised if I could do it at all without wiping my hands off or pulling one up inside a sweatshirt sleeve to get some traction on the slide. But all that bumbling around would add A LOT of time.
But this is yet another reason why if I were going to CC a gun, it wouldn’t be that one.

Look at the scenarios of you would do to make a pistol fire:

Glock, round chambered: Pull trigger
Glock, no round chambered: Rack slide, pull trigger
Other semi-auto pistol, round chambered, safety off: Pull trigger
Other semi-auto pistol, round chambered, safety on: Turn off safety, pull trigger
Other semi-auto pistol, no round chambered, safety off: Rack slide, pull trigger
Other semi-auto pistol, no round chambered, safety on: Rack slide, turn safety off(?), pull trigger

I’m not 100% sure about the last case, if you have the safety on and rack the slide on a non-Glock semi-auto, does it turn the safety off? Might vary for different pistols.

As you can see, the Glock is either ready to fire or not, it’s simpler. It’s up to the user what they are comfortable with. A Glock with a round in the chamber is equivalent to another semi-auto pistol with a round in the chamber and the safety off.

A lot is going to depend on the user, the holster or how the weapon is stored, and how coordinated they are. Safety comes down to the fact that if you have your finger on the trigger, safety or not, you should be prepared for the gun to fire.

I have 3 Glocks. One I own, two department issued. They are as far from finicky as possible. A very good reliable weapon. If I’m pulling my weapon out anywhere but the range I don’t want a safety to get in the way. I don’t have my finger on the trigger unless I am getting ready to shoot. That’s all the safety I need.

For me, for someone that’s not comfortable with a gun just yet, this is my issue.

With other guns, you can always just leave the safety off if you want, but with the Glock you don’t have the choice. There’s no way to stop the trigger from being pulled.

Other than keeping your finger off the trigger. :wink:

Remember, a safety is not 100% foolproof. If you don’t put your finger on the trigger, it won’t get pulled. Hold your pistol with your index finger like this, even when not getting ready to fire it: http://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads//2010/08/gun3.jpg You will see that practice at any shooting range, your finger is in a position where it’s easy to reach the trigger, but it’s very unlikely you will pull it accidentally.

Another point to keep in mind-Glocks are by no means unique in not having a manual safety. There are a lot of semi-autos out there with no manual safety at all. Revolvers don’t generally have a safety either.

I’m not aware of any model pistol where racking the slide switches off a grip safety. You would indeed have to rack, flip (or push) the safety, then fire.

And still another point - Glocks have a long and hard trigger pull.

One big advantage of a semi-auto over a DA revolver is that semi-autos have a lighter trigger pull, because a DA has to cock the hammer, then fire. Glocks also have to be cocked for every shot, so they have long hard trigger pulls too. My dad hated the Glock trigger, because he was a target shooter. In a carry gun, it’s a good thing.

So a Glock isn’t like a regular semi-auto with the safety off. It is more like a DA revolver, which, as noted, don’t have a safety. If you made a Glock with, say, a 1911 trigger pull - oh, hell no.

Unless it has a NY trigger, Glocks do not have a long, hard pull. 5.5 lbs is the standard.

Correct. The normal Glock pull is around 5lbs. The NY trigger is around 8lbs. The NY Plus is around 12lbs. I’d be more accurate with a rock than a pisol with a 12lbs trigger.

I hate a manual safety on a handgun. Hate, hate, hate. There is absolutely no logical reason to have a manual safety on a handgun, so why have one?

I can understand a manual safety on a rifle or shotgun. These guns are carried with the trigger completely exposed. If anything gets inside the trigger guard – like a tree twig – the trigger can be actuated.

By contrast, a handgun is holstered. A properly designed holster will protect the trigger from being inadvertently actuated.

An internal safety to keep the handgun from going off if it’s dropped? I have no problem with that. But no manually operated safety, please.