Stereotypes

Aaaggghhh! Please tell me there is SOMEONE out there is who does not stereotype teenagers. I can’t take it anymore.

I’m watched and even followed in stores (when I’m alone, with friends, EVEN when I’m with my mom!). I couldn’t get a job the other day because the company had “had some bad experiences with young people in the past”.

I do not “know everything” and I do not steal and I am not a moron who needs everything spelled out for me. I do not dress in grunge, nor do I dress in the newest “trends” (which are disgustingly ugly BTW). Everything I see is not “cute,” I do not blare my radio, I am not anorexic just becuase I’m not hungry, and I do not like heavy metal music just because I’m 16.

There is more. I could go on and on and on.
But please tell me someone out there understands.

White Wolf

“Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.”

“Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.”

First things first.

1. Welcome to the SDMB.

2. Cool quotes in your sig.

When I was in high school, I was never really stereotyped against because I was young. I was too busy being stereotyped against because I was a shy nerd (cue violins). I’ve gotten much better; hell, I even date nowadays. :wink:

I got to tell you, though, that if there is one place you won’t be stereotyped in (unless you let it happen), it’s right here. The only things that will be judged in this board are your ideas and how coherent your posts are (insert joke here).

I’m sorry, Wolf, I can’t think of much else to say, so I’ll stop my rambling.

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

I would say something, but being a teenager, you just wouldn’t get it.

Sorry.

Thanks, Sealemon

Not funny, okatym

White Wolf

“Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.”

What? You mean you aren’t sitting in a hot tub, ingesting recreational drugs, and whining on your cell phone that you can’t get a decent latte and have no future?

It was ever thus. I was a young teen during those halcyon days of the late 60’s, so of COURSE I spent them as a drug addled dropout who bombed chemistry departments and thought Ho Chi Minh would make just a groovy dictator for the US. Odd, I mostly remember trying to scrape up tuitition and some activism for local civil rights issues. But, hey, that can’t be right, because Time and Newsweek and Life and now even A&E say differently…

Nah. There will always be dweebs who put people into nice little categories by race, age, language, whatever. They’re idiots. You’re already finding the answer, by looking places like this.

From grim experience, you might try dealing with age bigots with near parody. It works. Be soooo courteous and sooooo responsible. Of course you’ll have to deal with the inevitable moment when some twit congratulates you for being “different”. Try to keep your performance within limits, i.e. don’t beam and claim an undying admiration for Wayne Newton or Herman’s Hermits.

Then just hang in. Way before you expect it, you’ll be a middleaged poop who likes kids.

Veb
(gonna go fire up the lava lamp and listen to Inna Gadda Da Vida)

Whitewolf,
I didn’t mean to offend (it seemed funny to me. I’m sorry)… :slight_smile:
It’s been a looooonnnnggg time–I forgot how much that used to bug me, too (but don’t lose your sense of humor). Laughing will make it funny.
Not ALL adults think and act the way you describe. There are a lot of adults who enjoy the company of teenagers, especially articulate and intelligent ones -like you.

Now my question (being an intelligent teenager you should be able to explain this): What’s the deal with rap, anyway? ( just kidding :wink: )

Veb, no argument here.

Not even about the lava lamp. I still have mine. My son fires it up once in a while to amuse his friends.

However, Inna Gadda Da Vida should be played very sparingly.

That 3 hour drum solo has turned my brain to Jell-O, as some of my posts clearly show.

White Wolf:

It may not be stereotypes against teenagers. Maybe everyone is out to get just you?

Peace,

moriah (who believes teen years should be full of paranoia – it prepares you for adulthood)

Hey, okatym, I was just being sarcastic. I do that alot. It’s cool. :slight_smile:

But you know what else I really hate? People who tell me this is the best time of my life. If this is true, KILL ME NOW!

White Wolf

P.S. I have NO idea what’s up with rap.

I don’t get it either.

Rap is very bad poetry, set to an annoying beat.

Everybody knows
I like to Rap.
The only trouble is,
I can’t rhyme for nothin’.

Thank you. I have more.

White Wolf - no, these are NOT the best years of your life. Those were pre-school and kindergarten. The NEXT-best years of your life will start the SECOND you move out of your parents’ house. Really.

Also, don’t worry too much about being treated badly for being young. You won’t be forever, ya know… and when you’re old,those people that don’t trust you now will probably be dead! Of course, around that time is when your kids will start wondering if you’re senile and if maybe you need to be put in a home, so don’t get too excited about it…

Valerie und Wolfie – Life is always better when “they” give you cookies and milk and let you sleep in school.

But sex is a big plus to being a young adult…

Uhhh, White Wolf, sorry if I’m stereotyping you, but isn’t your handle the name of the role-playing games company that makes Vampire: The Masquerade which is played by mostly teenagers?

And isn’t griping that adults just don’t understand teens another common stereotype of teenagers?

Peace.

White,
Sounds like you’re having the same kinds of problems I had as a teen. First, I was more mature then most peers- I didn’t do all the crazy shit people expected. I actually was responsible enough as a sixteen year old to drive and own a car, hold a job (without calling in sick or slacking off) and other “adult” tasks. It doesn’t matter- people will continue treating you like that because they get off on telling you “you’re too young to understand” “wait until you’re an adult and have REAL problems” (that was my favorite), etc. Don’t you believe any of that shit- it’s not true. My teenage years SUCKED royally- I wouldn’t go back to high school any quicker then a convict would go back to prison. I am 29 now, happily married, own a home and some cool stuff- that’s what the “best years” are about.
By the way, I was shocked to find out that those “stereotypes” continue well into your twenties. You join the workforce in a career type job, you hear “what do you know, you’re only in your early 20’s…you’ll see”…etc, etc, etc. So learn to live your life right according to your own personal beliefs, and never ever fall for that “you don’t know, you’re only __ years old”. YOU have the power and the brain to live your life and ignore these idiots who have no clue.
(I still get it now…“You don’t know hard work…you don’t have kids yet”, etc, etc)

Run for the hills, folks! Or you’ll be up to your armpits in martians!

Wolf,
I forgot to mention:
I’ve been told by numerous teens that they enjoy talking to me because I NEVER ever use those annoying phrases with them (about how they don’t understand the “real” world, etc). One girl said that she couldn’t remember the last time an adult spoke to her like…you guessed it…an adult! If more people did this and made a real effort to include younger people in adult conversations about world issues, career topics, etc I think they would learn that they have a lot to contribute. I am never surprised when a young person gives me an insightful answer to a question, but that’s probobly because I expect it.
My point is, try to be open minded when you get a bit older, and remember what it felt like to be discriminated against because you were young. Remember to treat young people with respect and they will appreciate it very much. Apparently it’s a rare thing to do. (Sad)

Run for the hills, folks! Or you’ll be up to your armpits in martians!

I’ve already droned on some, but hey, why not compound the fracture…

Wolf here has a real point, and it has seeped into corporate culture. It isn’t just “popular culture” that has shoved people in to so-handy age brackets. IMO, the pinheads who wrote that ghastly book on generations should be grilled, slowly, over a smokeless fire. Hey, all you GenX’ers, stand up and cheer! Heck of a sterotype, huh?

Honestly, it’s chilling to read some of the “effective management” garbage that get shoveled around. (BTW, this is a wide open field for aspiring con artists.) I can’t tell you how many insulting treatises I’ve read on how working with young people is like juggling grenades.

In a very sick way, it’s funny: the same gurus who piously counsel against sterotyping by race, religion, etc. will straight-faced advise that if you work with young employees, expect false sick days, indifference, lack of motivation, etc.

I hit the work force in the mid-70’s (when a lot of the 60’s happened) and even then the hard prejudice against the young wasn’t codified by “science”. Fair is fair; prejudice against the young is nothing new. The young react against what’s come before, and that’s precisely what they should do.

But, based on my experience, there IS a qualitative difference now. The prejudice is narrower, meaner and sanctioned.

Veb

Chiefscott-
Huh? Did you mean that you think I’m also a teenager? I’m 25. I just wanted to point out to Wolfie that IMHO, life’ll get a lot better really soon. He’ll still get the youth stereotypes, but he’ll also get a taste of freedom, and that balances it out, to some extent. And the sex? That just keeps getting better. :slight_smile: Another benefit of getting out of the parent’s house and having your own place…

Valerie, I didn’t mean to imply you were a teenager. Not that there’s anything wrong with being one!
I was agreeing with your assertion that preschool/kindergarten years were best. And bolstering Wolfie in that there is something to look forward to.
(I know I ended that sentence in a preposition.)

Hey guys, thanks for letting me know you understand.

Couple of comments:
Moriah, I don’t know what you’re talking about with my screen name. It’s White Wolf because I love Arctic Wolves. They are beautiful, intelligent creatures. Definately a plus for nature. Also, I never said “adults don’t understand teenagers”. If you recall my OP, I was actually asking for those who do’s support (is “do’s” possible in the English language?).

Valerie, no offense taken, because you didn’t know, but I’m a she, not a he. :slight_smile:

An observation: This ‘prejudice against age’ thing seems to be going on continuously through all generations. Let’s see if I can word this right. Who is it that keeps it up if it happened to them? That guy who told me that they had “had problems with young people in the past”, could it be possible that he was never stereotyped when he was young? Did he just forget what it feels like? I can’t figure it out. How is it that it continues? Any ideas?

White Wolf